No announcement yet.

Next Prime Minister

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it's more likely that a Tory leader chooses a GE in the hope to break the deadlock. But that seems unlikely too.

Comment

Maybe we're looking at the wrong party. What about the scenario of a Labour Party with a much more unequivocal Remain or second referendum position pushing it's MPs in Leave constituencies to back the WA?

Comment

I don't see how it plays out well. Whoever is elected new Tory leader is going to claim that they're "reopening negotiations" and that "the EU will offer concessions once they know we're serious about no deal" despite the evidence from the previous deadline that this is utter cockrot. We'll head to no deal. Tories will still not vote against their party, so we can't get a no confidence vote and general election. Labour MPs from leave constituencies aren't going to vote for the WA - and anyway, the WA will no longer be on offer from Raab or Johnson.

I can't see how we avoid No Deal now. I'm not even that hopeful that it'll utterly destroy the Tories. That has been promised for both Tories and Republicans too often in my lifetime and never come to pass.

Comment

I’ve been asking how we get to a GE for over a year on here. It’s not possible, and calling for one isn’t a policy, it’s a way to avoid having a policy.

Comment

I think the same is true of a 2nd Referendum. It's purely a rhetorical demand until it's fleshed out with what the question(s) will actually be. This rhetoric helps the LibDems, who have always been a party that can make demands without tying them to the reality of being in government, but it doesn't get you a referendum. What would be needed is for all anti-Leave MPs to come up with a collective policy that's fleshed out with all the steps clearly outlined, and campaign for it via both the Commons and public opinion. And to Corbyn: fuck triangulating the Leavers and Remainers: pick the latter and accept you will suffer collateral damage in the former.
            Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 27-05-2019, 19:12.

Comment

I’m a bit more defeatist, in that I would have accepted signing the WA, but I like your stance.

Comment

John Curtice and any halfway decent reader of polls has been telling Labour to ignore the leave cunts since 2016. Now they have lost almost all but a shart trickle of their Scottish vote, have fallen behind Plaid in Wales, have made an uncomfortable mess of their English vote. That good people I respect like Dawn Foster (and indeed Nef) are still standing by their bollocks (let alone Bastani shaped areswipes) is really really depressing. Just cos Adonis etc says something is right don't make it wrong.
                Last edited by Lang Spoon; 27-05-2019, 22:53.

Comment

I don’t remember this at all, but apparently Gove once fancied himself as a cutting edge satirist. (Click through for the full horror.)

[URL]https://twitter.com/chrismorrisbits/status/1132556174711250944[/URL]

Comment

I vaguely remember the thing with him and David Baddiel. It was poor even by the ragged standards of late night topical comedy shows.

Comment

To be fair he was excellent in the first Ghostbusters film.

Comment

Still had a hint of a Scottish accent there.

That piece was at least mildly funnier than the other clips I've seen from his previous career.

Comment

Javid throws his metaphorical hat into the ring to make it nine now. We've got until June 7th for this to continue.

Iirc John Major and Douglas Hurd when they were running to be PM had lists of MPs who'd promised to vote for them and surprise surprise when they compared lists there were many MPs who appeared on both.

In a very roundabout way my point is that until they finally go to a vote we're going to be hearing a lot of posturing and bullshit about how much support they have.

Comment

I'm not sure how "being Johnson's deputy mayor" makes Kit Malthouse a viable contender, but as we're piling up no-hopers we might as well add some more.

Comment

Originally posted by Auntie Beryl View Post
                              I'm not sure how "being Johnson's deputy mayor" makes Kit Malthouse a viable contender, but as we're piling up no-hopers we might as well add some more.

Came up with some sort of plan to cut through the chaos is the best I've got.

Wiki lists the various candidates' pledged supporters. Last time I looked Rory Stewart had one.

Comment

Malt Shithouse
                                Andrea Loathsome
                                Rod Stewpot
                                Dom Draab
                                Esther Ranzid
                                Penny Morbid
                                Matt Halfcocked
                                Jazzyd Savidje
                                Shunt the cunt
                                Mike Bovine
                                Bojo goes to Batshit

Comment

Esther Rantzen isn't standing...

And Malthouse?
                                  Why?

Comment

’ve been asking how we get to a GE for over a year on here. It’s not possible
                                    How is getting to a second referendum possible, with the current parliament?

Comment

The latest.

https://twitter.com/PaulOnBooks/stat...659452928?s=19

Comment

Originally posted by George C. View Post

Jesse Norman is a new one on me, as a potential candidate. He's missed off Priti Patel, Mark Harper and Geoffrey Cox, but you can hardly blame him given the numbers involved!

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post

How is getting to a second referendum possible, with the current parliament?
                                          Also an excellent question.

Comment

Would have expected her to go for a position in France or Spain

Comment

At this rate it would be easier to list the Tory MPs who aren't standing

Comment

Terri should stand for a laugh.

Their candidate in NI got 2 votes for every MP

Comment

Isn't he somewhat preoccupied?

Comment

The BBC are hosting a live debate with all the candidates and then a Question Time special with the final two.

What a... curious decision. I mean, it's not as if the general public get to vote.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X