• Show
Clear All

I'm really not.

Comment

This is where it ends, folks.

Anti Zionism is Anti Semitism

[URL]https://twitter.com/krishgm/status/1102992121727012869?s=21[/URL]

Comment

I thought we weren't supposed to conflate ...

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy Waterman View Post
          How much police protection does the Leader of the Opposition get? I remember seeing Corbyn wandering around the BBC last year looking pretty much unaccompanied.
          Friends bump into him in the streets around Islington and Finsbury Park quite regularly. I really think he deserves a bit more protection and should take it more seriously himself.

Comment

It's the same fallacy as Riley's "I want equality for all racists" or her list treating "Jews" and "Israel" as interchangeable. It starts from the fair assumption that some antisemites may use opposition to Israeli policy as a cover for their racism to the ludicrous assumption that all of them do so.

Comment

He should probably take more care, I think. Totally get why he wouldn't want to.

It must have been frightening and horrible. I just think inflating incidents is silly, whoever the victim is.

Hodge can go fuck herself.
              Last edited by DCI Harry Batt; 05-03-2019, 20:29.

Comment

The thing with eggs and custard pies is they’re about making the victim look silly. So the best PR response is to play up how serious and dangerous it was. Murdoch’s people did the same thing.

Surprised by the Hodge thing, not that it means very much about anyone other than Hodge.

Comment

Is it? Maybe. I dunno. I thought it made Murdoch look even sillier.

Comment

Using the formula anti-Zionist leaves you open to Sensible denunciation I suppose. But fuck this if Israel can't be condemned for its actions, which is the implication of Hodge and Hodges, Deerin, McTernan, Riley, Jim Fuckin Murphy et al.

Comment

I really cannot be bothered to watch Channel 4 news, but did Hodge mean Labour members should be sanctioned for being anti Zionist, or that someone who holds Labour views should support Zionism?

Comment

It works, you know, the "smear Palestinian rights support as anti-semitism" thing. It quietens people.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                          Agree but I don’t think you or I are the intended audience!

Comment

I didn't know where to post this- but It does appear to be the culmination of the anti-Corbyn strategy.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy Waterman View Post

Agree but I don’t think you or I are the intended audience!
                              This is true.

Comment

Not as silly as his then wife leaping in like his bodyguard.

Comment

Denying Jewish people of the right to self-determination could cover an awful lot of territory, if you get my meaning.

Comment

It works, you know, the "smear Palestinian rights support as anti-semitism" thing. It quietens people.
                                    This is very true. It's a very effective approach. It makes people be quiet. People are scared to say anything.

I fucking hate it.

Comment

It really does. The last few years have been catastrophic for those seeking to speak up for Palestinian human rights. And fewer and fewer people seem to care. It's all refracted through the petty prism of the parliamentary fucking Labour party

Comment

Does anyone have any direct quotes of anti-semitism accusers, especially within the Labour party, on Palestinian rights? Do they even acknowledge that the country should exist?

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                          Does anyone have any direct quotes of anti-semitism accusers, especially within the Labour party, on Palestinian rights? Do they even acknowledge that the country should exist?
                                          Oh yes, those on the left, in the centre, don't deny the right of the Palestinians to a state, though their support for such a state usually starts and ends with "I believe in a two state solution" and they don;t like being pressed on how that might come about or what it might look like, (see the conversation between Joan Ryan and the pro Palestine Labour member on that Al Jazeerah documentary., at the end of which Ryan just got tired of trying to avoid the question for the 100th time and accused her interlocutor of anti semitism)

In the UK at least, denial of the fact of the occupation is limited to those on the right (less true in the US where the Democratic party avoids the use of the word occupation at all)

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

In the UK at least, denial of the fact of the occupation is limited to those on the right (less true in the US where the Democratic party avoids the use of the word occupation at all)
                                            Which would be electoral suicide?

Comment

Increasingly I suspect it's not electoral suicide but a funding suicide.

Comment

If I had a pound for every time I've read someone say "I'm no fan of Netanyahu but …" before detailing their opposition to any effective form of Palestinian protest or action, I'd have enough money to go to every day of this summer's Ashes series

Comment

I'm not even sure that the Democrats' reticence is due to fear of funding suicide.

Haim Saban (he of the "I'm a single issue person, and my issue is Israel") is an important national donor, but nowhere near as important as the Adelsons are to the Republicans.

Rather, I think that the failure of Democratic policy to keep up with the rapidly evolving views of the "base" on this has more to do with fear of being monstered in much the way that Ilhan Omar is being at the moment, as well as historical inertia for those (like virtually all of the presidential candidates) who have been active in politics for decades.

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post

It really does. The last few years have been catastrophic for those seeking to speak up for Palestinian human rights. And fewer and fewer people seem to care. It's all refracted through the petty prism of the parliamentary fucking Labour party
                                                    I don’t disbelieve you, but purely in my anecdotal experience I see more and more people - especially young Labour supporters - putting Palestinian rights front and centre of their internationalist politics, and in a genuine way.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X