No announcement yet.

Storm in a tea cup: The weather thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I was still living there I’d be spending the weekend in the pool.

Comment

That's bananas.

"Thermal" seems appropriately named.

Comment

The thing is that Thermal is appopriately named and is kinda expected to be that hot at this time of year. 110 in El Cajon (basically 3 miles from my old house) is insane. People aren’t ready for it. There are houses without aircon. My guess is that the beaches and any shops with aircon will be overwhelmed

Comment

Hot as hell here in the Bay Area - 40C in San Mateo (104F) right now, 100F in downtown San Francisco, shattering previous record of 92F:
          https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/09/...rologists-say/

Comment

98F here in Richmond, just waiting until it gets hotter inside than out so we can all go sit in the backyard.

Comment

If my phone's to be believed that looks to be about 8 o'clock, though typically it cools down a little faster than my phone thinks in the evenings at my house (and conversely also heats up faster in the mornings).

Comment

It seems the 8 o'clock was about right, though it's quite smoky outside so I won't be sitting around out there or opening the windows to cool the house down. Ugh.

Comment

Ok.

These California wildfires.

1. What's a "gender reveal" party?

2. Why is it necessary to take explosives and incendiaries into high fire risk areas to hold them?

Is it the US equivalent of dogging, or these twats that release "chinese lanterns"?

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
                    1. What's a "gender reveal" party?
                    It's where expectant parents announce whether their baby will be a boy or a girl, usually involving releasing balloons, ticker tape etc. in the traditional colours.

Comment

I thought you only found out the gender of your baby after several hours of pacing up and down a hospital corridor, when a nurse pokes her head out of the delivery room and says "Congratulations Mr Thefish, you have a beautiful baby boy / girl", and you get to smoke a cigar.

Comment

The idea of living in the last century does have a certain appeal

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                          I thought you only found out the gender of your baby after several hours of pacing up and down a hospital corridor, when a nurse pokes her head out of the delivery room and says "Congratulations Mr Thefish, you have a beautiful baby boy / girl", and you get to smoke a cigar.

It's all hands-on for the fathers these days, mate. They even gave me the job of cutting the umbilical cord, the lazy sods.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post

It's where expectant parents announce whether their baby will be a boy or a girl, usually involving releasing balloons, ticker tape etc. in the traditional colours.
                            Yeah.

I looked it up.

And thought, "whut?"

Comment

Everything about this is so stupid. But perhaps the stupidest thing of all is that someone has already started a massive forest fire by doing an exploding gender reveal - in Arizona a couple of years ago. So everyone knows what happens when you fuck it up on tinder-dry ground in extreme heat and high winds. The morons who did this should be locked up for a very long time.

Comment

As a friend of mine wrote:
                                “america destroying its ecology as a side effect of binary gender reification rituals” would be too hacky for a dystopia novel but here we are.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                  Everything about this is so stupid. But perhaps the stupidest thing of all is that someone has already started a massive forest fire by doing an exploding gender reveal - in Arizona a couple of years ago. So everyone knows what happens when you fuck it up on tinder-dry ground in extreme heat and high winds. The morons who did this should be locked up for a very long time.
                                  Locked up, but before hand, outfitted w/ firefighter gear and shoved to the front of the fire to give them a good look at their destructive, seflsh, and insanely idiotic actions.

Meanwhile, ABQ has been in mid to upper 90s this week. Supposed to drop about 40 degrees by wednesday - BRING IT ON!

Comment

Same system as Denver, yes?
                                    Denver: high of 101 Saturday, 99 Sunday and predicted to be 37 with snow today.

Comment

I'm stoked the Giants are over .500 and in a playoff spot too, but this at 9.30am in San Francisco is ridiculous:

Comment

This is almost beautiful, but again, ridiculous

Comment

Very 2020

Comment

No kidding. It looks like about a half hour or so after sunset outside right now, and it's 10.30 in the morning, those pictures don't really do justice to just how dark it actually is. Very apocalyptic.

Comment

California's wildfires by the numbers as of Wednesday:
                                              28 — major wildfires burning across the state
                                              64,000 — people forced to flee their homes
                                              3,700 — structures destroyed in the last three weeks
                                              2.5 million — acres burned this year (nearly 20 times what had burned by this time last year)

Comment

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post
                                                Same system as Denver, yes?
                                                Denver: high of 101 Saturday, 99 Sunday and predicted to be 37 with snow today.
                                                Yes. We were in upper 90s Monday and yesterday there was wind chill in low 30s and snow in the east mountains. Nice to wear pants and a long sleeved shirt again.

Comment

But did we find out if it was a boy or a girl in the end?

Comment

It was a boy.

The smoke has descended several layers today, so it is no longer perpetual twilight, instead, we've just got incredibly unhealthy air quality levels and it's snowing ash.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X