No announcement yet.

Storm in a tea cup: The weather thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know that in the end storm surge is often much worse - much the mental idea of 2 feet of water falling from the sky is so much harder to comprehend, for me, than the tide pushing up an extra few feet. It's irrational, but it's just so hard to get my head around that amount of liquid coming out of the sky.

Comment

Mild, bright sunshine and very breezy in my neck of the woods today. Just about my favourite weather and just what I always tend to associate with the month of September.

Sunny but windy days also remind me of the best bits of summer holidays at the English or Welsh coast, swimming in the cool, crashing waves and then well-earned ham sandwiches and fruit pies for lunch.

Comment

Yes, it's a lovely, sunny early Autumn day here. I shall go for a walk later.

Comment

I mentioned on the Mundane thread that the leaves are beginning to change. We've got to the time of year where the weather maps appear to look like this

The weather forecast spends as much time on Leaf Peeping (yes, non-New Englanders, that is the term they use up here) as they do on things like rain or sun.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
            I mentioned on the Mundane thread that the leaves are beginning to change. We've got to the time of year where the weather maps appear to look like this

The weather forecast spends as much time on Leaf Peeping (yes, non-New Englanders, that is the term they use up here) as they do on things like rain or sun.
            Look like what?

Comment

Ah, so that wasn't just me...

Comment

Oh. Not showing up? It does for me.

How about this?

Comment

That's excellent.

Comment

Very visible.

Comment

Four months worth of rain in 24 hours: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-54402096

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                        Four months worth of rain in 24 hours: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-54402096

To no-one's great surprise, 3rd October was the wettest day ever recorded in the UK: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-54561601

Always hard for the non-meteorologist to judge these things, of course, but the weather over here seems to be increasingly getting into ruts, when it's wet, dry, hot etc. for week after week.

Comment

I've just read that, staggering statistics to come from that storm. I was up in North Yorkshire that weekend and the bridge near me rose 15ft in 36 hours. It wasn't so much the rain in one area though, it was more the fact it affected such a wide area.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

To no-one's great surprise, 3rd October was the wettest day ever recorded in the UK: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-54561601

Always hard for the non-meteorologist to judge these things, of course, but the weather over here seems to be increasingly getting into ruts, when it's wet, dry, hot etc. for week after week.
                            Indeed and that had been duly noted on met forums...

Comment

After our excellent Fall Foliage map, I now offer this - comically stupid - infographic.

Comment

Wot no brunch?

Comment

Working...
                                X