No announcement yet.

Storm in a tea cup: The weather thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've seen some predictive models where over the next few centuries or so the middle 30% of the Earth is going to be first non-arable and then too hot for human habitation. Granted, at the time these were outliers from the (fairly conservative) group consensus from climate scientists; I haven't seen a lot over the last few years to make me think that it's an unthinkable result.

Comment

The issue with agriculture and climate change is not so much the increasing temperatures - different regions will switch to producing different crops, e.g. expect to see more maize in the UK and Scandinavia - but the higher prevalence of extreme weather events hampering crop yields. Europe has had a very dry year punctuated by two periods of very wet weather; if that rain had been distributed more evenly we wouldn't be seeing such a shortfall in cereal and oilseed rape production this year.

Comment

https://twitter.com/jay_wafb/status/1298651386687651843

Comment

This has escalated rapidly. a couple of days ago everyone was excited about the novelty of overlapping tracks of tropical storms. Not a Cat 4 monster hitting the Louisiana coast. In fact, I'd guessed that Laura would be downgraded because Marco should have cooled down the ocean and made the atmospheric patterns too unstable to support a hurricane. Shows what I know.

Comment

Hurricaine Laura - "unsurvivable" storm surge in Louisiana and Texas.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53925917

Hopefully this time round state and federal authorities will help the evacuation, unlike when Katrina struck and people were told to fend for themselves.

Comment

It's a good thing the federal government is now competently run and FEMA hasn't had its budget raided for pet projects. Oh wait...

Comment

Currently 14.9C outside and pissing it down.

August in England, folks.

Comment

I nearly put the heating on yesterday, but looked at a calendar first and put a hoodie on instead. In normal 2020, this would have been Leeds Festival weekend and it would have been a wet 'un, with overnight minimum temperatures down to c. 5C. I'd still prefer to be there than here this weekend though.

Comment

Meanwhile, in ridiculously insulated flatland, I had to turn the AC on while it was pissing it down because I couldn't have the windows open. My thermostat reads 28.5 degrees.

Comment

We had almost an inch or rain in less than half an hour last night, the most intense rainfall I've seen in this area for about ten years. I went out briefly to the car and within 15 seconds I was totally soaked. The really strange thing was the wind which was westerly but veered round to the east before before backing to westerly again at the same time the rain arrived.

Comment

We're also expecting the coldest August Bank Holiday on record. That's after record temperatures at the beginning of the month.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
                          We had almost an inch or rain in less than half an hour last night, the most intense rainfall I've seen in this area for about ten years. I went out briefly to the car and within 15 seconds I was totally soaked. The really strange thing was the wind which was westerly but veered round to the east before before backing to westerly again at the same time the rain arrived.
                          I was out for a walk after work when that hit. Luckily I had a brolly with me, which managed to just about keep my hair dry. Everything else was drenched, perhaps compounded by Lewisham Road being absolutely deluged to the point that when I was forced to cross the road, the ankle-deep water overtopped my trainers. There are few things in life as miserable as wet shoes and socks*.

*Yes, I know, there are plenty of things more miserable, but give me some licence here.

Comment

I avoid half of this potential problem by not wearing socks.

Comment

Water was fountaining out of the drains in parts of Bromley and Bickley last night on my way to my guitar lesson.
                              Lots of surface water on the roads, 6 or so inches deep in places.

Comment

It was weird here. Absolutely belting down for about 15 minutes while still quite bright. I've been out for a walk this morning and it was like a nice sunny autumn day. Lovely.

Comment

The wind is crying Mary out there, it must be 14 degrees tops. I want a refund on fucking August.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                    The wind is crying Mary out there, it must be 14 degrees tops. I want a refund on fucking August.
                                    Wait until September digs in and you'll be pining for those long-lost August days.

Comment

13oC. At midday. In August.

2020 really is fucked, isn't it?

Comment

And now the ice cream van's on its rounds.

Where were you when it was eleventy-billion degrees out, eh?

Comment

It's lovely and sunny now, but everywhere still feels damp.
                                          Just been to the woods for a stomp, which was nice.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                                            It's lovely and sunny now, but everywhere still feels damp.
                                            Just been to the woods for a stomp, which was nice.
                                            First draft of a poem, this.

Comment

Heh. As I read this it's just started raining again.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                                Heh. As I read this it's just started raining again.
                                                #A crack in the clouds reveals blue skies
                                                I've been feeling so low
                                                But now everything is on my side...#

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                                                  And now the ice cream van's on its rounds.

Where were you when it was eleventy-billion degrees out, eh?
                                                  Getting high on their own supply, I presume.

Comment

https://twitter.com/nwssandiego/status/1301633909310894080

Comment

Working...
                                                    X