Storm in a tea cup: The weather thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blameless View Post

I don't think the weather was necessarily any hotter, I just think we're feeling the residual effect of the place having been baked in 30+ temperatures for 5 days straight. SE England does not shed excess heat easily.

Yes, good point. Tarmac acts like a super-efficient radiator as do dark-coloured buildings in general.

Comment

Woken some time after midnight by an absolute cloudburst, accompanied by almost constant lightning (but very little thunder). The rain went on for a good 20 minutes, possibly some hail in it too to judge by the racket on our roof.

Came down this morning to find everything calm, except the plastic grid cover for our drain had washed out and been swept 30 feet across the flags and into the garden, and all the sand between the flags has washed out too - must've been a fair volume of water running past our back door at one point then.

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
        Woken some time after midnight by an absolute cloudburst, accompanied by almost constant lightning (but very little thunder). The rain went on for a good 20 minutes, possibly some hail in it too to judge by the racket on our roof.

Came down this morning to find everything calm, except the plastic grid cover for our drain had washed out and been swept 30 feet across the flags and into the garden, and all the sand between the flags has washed out too - must've been a fair volume of water running past our back door at one point then.

All looks pretty spectacular: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-53735832

Another really muggy night down this way. It's starting to wear me down a bit now.

Comment

Solar panels are currently being fitted to my house so the northern Home Counties can thank me for the break in the weather in advance.

Comment

It's 27 indoors. I dread to think what it is outside.

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
              It's 27 indoors. I dread to think what it is outside.

It's a shade under 30C here so probably 32-33C or so where you are.

My son is driving down to visit a friend in the East Grinstead area in his sweatbox of a car, the nutcase!

Comment

Our flat gets unbearable on days like these - its 30+ degrees before 10am. This year we spent about ?300 on a portable air conditioner in the hope that it would make a difference. On full blast, it sounds like a 747 taking off and takes about three hours to cools the room down to about 25 degrees. As soon as we turn it off the temperature rockets back up.

We keep all the windows and blinds shut during the day but today, without the air conditioner on, it reached 33 degrees.

I've always joked about moving to one of the Nordic countries, but seem to consider it more and more seriously every year...

Comment

We're having another heatwave, with temperatures well into the 90s again, and high humidity. The air-con is blasting full throttle this week and can't keep up upstairs - downstairs remains cool, but all the work that needs to be done in the house is upstairs.

Comment

Originally posted by Forest Gump View Post
                    Our flat gets unbearable on days like these - its 30+ degrees before 10am. This year we spent about ?300 on a portable air conditioner in the hope that it would make a difference. On full blast, it sounds like a 747 taking off and takes about three hours to cools the room down to about 25 degrees. As soon as we turn it off the temperature rockets back up.

We keep all the windows and blinds shut during the day but today, without the air conditioner on, it reached 33 degrees.

I've always joked about moving to one of the Nordic countries, but seem to consider it more and more seriously every year...

Sounds like my old flat, a conversion at the top of a Victorian house, exposed to the afternoon and evening sun and in a built-up area. If we were able to leave the windows open all day it was usually bearable during very hot weather but if not, or there was no breeze, it was grim. There were occasions when it was too hot to actually move, let alone do any work. Once, as I headed to bed at around midnight, I checked the house thermometer to see that it was pretty much bang on 100F.

Comment

Originally posted by Forest Gump View Post

Yeah, we've got one of those portable air cons. Rubbish aren't they? The cub's room gets proper hot as we're south facing on a hill (thermometer on the balcony is currently reading 42.3C) and we've spoken about air con for the last 2 or 3 years.
                      I think we'll get the house re-rendered a light colour (pebbledash is the norm) which should reflect a lot of the heat. That and a decent aircon with a heat exchanger should then sort out the rest both for hot and cold.

Comment

I'm definitely buying a north facing property when I next move. Sod the sun, frankly. I've got to do the weekly shop this evening and am not looking forward to finding out what the inside of the car is like. Next week's weather forecasts look wonderful though.

Comment

Looks utterly miserable.

Comment

Rain and temps in the early 20's? I'm ready

Comment

Yeah its the rain I can't be doing with. Ruins the kids summer holidays, means you can't have all the windows and doors open (It's still going to be mid to high 20s here according to the BBC) so all you get is hot AND wet instead of being able to sit out in it. And grey skies make my mood flatline instantly.

Comment

The test match starts here at 11am on Thursday, so I'm expecting the rain to start at approximately 10:59 that day

Comment

Looks like there could be no play for the whole 5 days judging by the forecast. <Sigh>

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                                    Yeah, we've got one of those portable air cons. Rubbish aren't they?
                                    My one seems to work pretty well, but it's very loud. I did have to order an extension for the exhaust pipe as the one it came with was too short to actually reach the window in either of the rooms I needed it in.

Comment

It’s more that when you turn them off the temperature shoots right back up. That and the sound of a 747 as described makes them relatively useless for when you need them most (at night.)

Comment

It looks like even up here this coming night will be 'tropical'...which is not good!

Comment

The temperature is edging upwards tomorrow and hopefully will break the caps and allow the energy to be released. I can't see any towers shooting up at the moment down here in Essex, so I reckon our only chance for any activity tonight is something creeping up from France.

Comment

Surely anti-asylum seeking prejudice...

Comment

There's some rumbling in the sky here.

Comment

No rain as yet, and no lightning. Just noise. Turned the computer off, anyway.

Comment

Hmn, appears to have wandered off to the west...

Comment

I was partly wrong, there is a bit of northern about.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X