No announcement yet.

An interesting thing I didn't know until today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The chief question setter/checker for The Chase owns a blinds shop in Nantwich, she has the same P.T. as me.

Comment

Originally posted by slackster View Post
      In the UK, I’d more likely hear of Alpha Males and Beta Males - less so for women - in place of Type A/B’s.
      And more recently - and even more "I must avoid this person at all costs" - Sigma Males.

Comment

After today's "souping" of the Mona Lisa (well, its protective glass) I read about it's theft in 1911 and how it boosted the painting's fame and popularity: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25241576

Comment

Originally posted by The_Purple_Cow View Post
          The chief question setter/checker for The Chase owns a blinds shop in Nantwich, she has the same P.T. as me.
          Personal Trainer?

Comment

And why did I think you were based in the Netherlands The_Purple_Cow ?

Comment

The Type A/Type B thing and its Alpha/Beta pendant are representative of different periods here.

The first being 70s-90s, as HP's link notes, the latter being more 2010s, and increasingly associated with the unpleasantness of the "Men's Rights Movement" and alt-Right bullshit in general.

Comment

Originally posted by slackster View Post
                In the UK, I’d more likely hear of Alpha Males and Beta Males - less so for women - in place of Type A/B’s.
                That “theory” is also bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                  The other reason that I don't generally use the word "douchebag" is because I found out the origin of the word, i.e. that it's a misogynistic insult drawn from a device used to clean a vagina. The reason I didn't know that is because douches are not a thing in the UK. There is absolutely no reason for these devices to exist. Vaginas are self-cleaning and using a douche only introduces bacteria to it and makes it more at risk of infection. External body parts need to be washed. Internal ones not so much.
                  That’s why it’s an insult. It’s useless.

Comment

And why did I think you were based in the Netherlands The_Purple_Cow ?
                    He was. He moved back to the UK five-ish years ago. There was a thread.

Comment

I bet it was at least 10

Comment

Yeah, you're probably right. Time is weird.

Comment

Isn't the alpha/beta terminology more common than the Type A/B thing even in the US? I'd never encountered the Type A/B terms with that meaning before reading the recent posts on this thread just now, and I read a lot of US-written stuff. [edit- sorry I wasn't ignoring the posts earlier on this page - in particular ursus's very helpful history lesson - which make that comment of mine idiotic in context, I was just tricked for the 94,004th tiime by the board software which takes one to an old page.]

Obviously, I agree 100 per cent with what Balders said about the utter wankerishness of anyone who would self-describe at Alpha/Type A, as I expect most or all of us would.
                          Last edited by Evariste Euler Gauss; 28-01-2024, 17:19.

Comment

It may have fallen out of fashion, but I can recall be taught about it in school like it was real.

It doesn’t fit for me. I’m anxious a lot and can fall into perfectionism, but not competitive or ambitious, largely because I don’t see how those traits lead to peace or happiness.

Comment

The Type A/B claptrap was presented as serious health advice in a way that the Alpha/Beta nonsense never has been.

The message was that Type A men were at more serious risk of a coronary.

Comment

Apparently, the only part of Type A correlated with cardiovascular stress is generalized hostility.

Comment

That sounds plausible

Comment

Baby hoopoe birds projectile shit and puke out of the sides of their nests to deter predators.

Comment

Also, one of the Welsh words for cormorant is bilidowcar (billy-doh-ker)

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                        Also, one of the Welsh words for cormorant is bilidowcar (billy-doh-ker)
                                        There's more than one Welsh word for cormorant? How many do you need?

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post

He was. He moved back to the UK five-ish years ago. There was a thread.
                                          Ta. I think I've been told this before and just keep reverting to thinking he's in the Netherlands.

Comment

There's two (at least) in English.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisJ View Post

There's two (at least) in English.
                                              Well there you go. I've just googled and discovered that cormorants and shags are the same birds which is AITIDKUT.

Comment

There are often different words for things depending where in Cymru people are from. And then there are official names and informal (slang) names.

It's nowhere near as confusing as asking what a bread roll is called in England.

Comment

You mean 'what a teacake is called in England'.

Comment

No he means what a bap is called in England.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X