No announcement yet.

An interesting thing I didn't know until today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jim Thorpe, PA is named after the famous athlete even though he had no association with the town.

Comment

That quiz question answer you've all been waiting for: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Plessis-Robinson

Comment

What's the US town named after a game show? Like 'What's My Line' Arizona or something.

Comment

Truth or Consequences, New Mexico

Comment

There really should be a town somewhere in the mid-west called Pointless...

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
              There really should be a town somewhere in the mid-west called Pointless...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pointless_Peak

Comment

The Texan who murdered his neighbours when they asked him to stop firing his assault rival late at night was just arrested in Cut and Shoot, Texas.

Comment

I won't be investing any more energy in US place name trivia in case they decide to Rhode Island my ass.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                    Jim Thorpe, PA is named after the famous athlete even though he had no association with the town.
                    There are three villages in Romania with the name Gheorghe Doja. None of them has any particular connection to the man himself (the leader of a peasant revolt, who was actually named Dózsa György, as he was Hungarian/Szekely. Though he did come from what is now Romania). Not only that but there is a metro station in Budapest with his name, and there were two football teams in communist era Hungary - most famously Ujpest Dozsa but also Szegedi Dozsa.

Comment

Football clubs could be a whole other category

Levski Sofia, Jahn Regensburg, Bolivar, multiple San Martins, etc

Comment

There is a company in Indiana called Seymour Glass but it took its name from the city, not the J.D. Salinger character.

Comment

I'm literally just a few days younger that the Toronto Blue Jays baseball franchise.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                            I'm literally just a few days younger that the Toronto Blue Jays baseball franchise.
                            It must having been snowing. Right?

Comment

Paraguay's conservative Colorado Party has a somewhat deceptive logo:

Comment

This petition was submitted to Parliament in 2020 (warning: offensive and NSFW):

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/331841

Comment

Researching Beatles TV broadcasts in 1967, I came across the fact that colour was better on UHF, but you needed to have a converter like this beast:

https://www.tgrantphoto.com/sales/in...age-circa-1967

Comment

In the first half of the 11th century, the population of Regensburg (at over 40k) was larger than that of Paris (under 40k). Paris grew rapidly soon after that though.

Comment

Not as surprising as one may think - Regensburg was the seat of the Imperial Diet of the Holy Roman Empire for many centuries.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                        Researching Beatles TV broadcasts in 1967, I came across the fact that colour was better on UHF, but you needed to have a converter like this beast:

https://www.tgrantphoto.com/sales/in...age-circa-1967
                                        Why did you decide to wait so long before telling us?

Comment

I don't think there were any colour transmissions on VHF in the UK, certainly not public ones anyway.

The old 405-line VHF signal was a modified version of the old NTSC standard and we all know how well NTSC handled colour, whether it be first-hand or seeing all those shonky NTSC-to-PAL transfers of North American shows.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                                            The old 405-line VHF signal was a modified version of the old NTSC standard and we all know how well NTSC handled colour
                                            Er, some people had to google NTSC. Well, one person at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

Er, some people had to google NTSC. Well, one person at least.
                                              Excellent...you're on TonTon duty this morning.

Comment

A new first name I encountered today: Sholto. Wiki lists 6 and it's also the name of one of actor Stuart Bowman's kids:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sholto

Comment

I haven't had to google NTSC. Not because I know what it stands for, or anything about it, but because I suspect any attempt on my part to learn would prove futile.

Comment

Aren't you like a tall-foreheaded mathematician or something?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X