No announcement yet.

The COVID-19 Vaccination Progress Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tbh, urging me to consider Africans when roughly 130,000 people have died in the country of my vaccination doesn't really trigger my white privileged guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
      It won't be the complete answer. A man in his 50s died of a rare clot. His sister was on the news saying people should still take the vaccine. He was unlikely to have been taking the contraceptive pill.
      One man can be an unrelated outlier. The way the side effects are reported, it seems to overwhelmingly hit women in the 20-50 age group.

Also, I think the types of blood clots caused by the pill and the AZ vaccine may be different e.g. those caused by the pill are likely to be deep vein thrombosis / clots in the legs, whereas the ones caused by AZ are rarer and in the brain.
      This is indeed correct, but that doesn't rule out that there may be a common cause. And hence, it would be nice to see statistics on which percentage of the vaccine side effect victims also happens to use the contraceptive pill. I wish those statistics were available.

Comment

Originally posted by scratchmonkey View Post
        The clots associated with the vaccines are different from the clots associated with birth control, these are much rarer and more dangerous (also the rates for clots and birth control are closer to 1 in 1000).
        I know. And alcohol is linked to elevated risk of several kinds of cancer, each of which also comes with a different incidence and mortality rate. So this doesn't prove or disprove anything.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post

Don't be a dick. People can be concerned about their own health while at the same time being aware of their privilege. This is OTF not the Daily Express letters page,

I don't see much awareness of privilege here. I see a lot of people in their 40s who are already pretty safe, who's loved ones are virtually safe but are still looking for more.

I've e always said that I'm happy for anyone who gets vaccinated on here. But I don't see much rage anymore against what's happened in the UK in the last 5 years, and the last 15 months especially. And I do genuinely think pure vaccination relief has brought about a loss of the bigger picture.

As you say, Hobbes. This is OTF. We've both been here a long time. Im not that sure if it reflects my current life that much anymore. But then there isn't that much does. Certainly not the Daily Express. I'll shut up.

Comment

Originally posted by Wouter D View Post

One man can be an unrelated outlier. The way the side effects are reported, it seems to overwhelmingly hit women in the 20-50 age group.
            It is six people in seven million. They are all outliers.

Comment

You need to look on all the other threads Logan. There's plenty of anger left around here about the state of the country and indeed the world.
              But you're right, the old place has mellowed a fair bit. It's definitely not the crucible it was. We're all older and less prone to being fighty for a start. So much so that I spent a good 10 minutes debating whether to call you out or not for fear of over stepping. That wouldn't have happened 15 years ago!
              But look, this is a thread for a group of relatively fortunate people to talk about vaccination progress. Just.because a problem is small in the global sense doesn't mean it's not important. 130k people have died in the UK. I for one have been mortally afraid of getting it, given my viral/cardiac history, so I'll not criticise anyone else for the same. 40 year olds may be less at risk, but a lower risk is still a risk.
              Let's cut each other some slack, eh?
              And I apologise for calling you a dick.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                It is six people in seven million. They are all outliers.
                The man in question had received the AZ jab, not J&J, and there have been hundreds of clotting incidents linked to it in Europe by now, so while it's still extremely rare there are surely enough cases to start noticing any patterns.

Comment

There was an article about it in the Graun today about the prof who figured out the link and how to possibly treat patients.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...e_iOSApp_Other

Comment

For what it's worth, I'm well aware of my privilege and and I certainly don't begrudge others getting vaccinated ahead of me. I've been about as well situated as it was possible to be during this pandemic and have thankfully been spared any losses among close friends and family, so I've certainly had it easy. It's just the old light at the end of the tunnel syndrome, The closer it gets the more impatient I become.

Comment

Originally posted by Wouter D View Post

I know. And alcohol is linked to elevated risk of several kinds of cancer, each of which also comes with a different incidence and mortality rate. So this doesn't prove or disprove anything.
                      Sure, I can see how that might have come across, I don't think it's proof at all, just wanted to note that these are very different kinds of clots in terms of mechanism and didn't see the other post saying the same thing.

Comment

In Romania uptake of the AZ jab has shrunk to the point now where they've told everyone who wants it to just show up without an appointment to one of the relevant vaccination centres

(here each centre does a different vaccine. I think there are 5 centres in my town, of which probably 2 are AZ)

Comment

Booked my jab after the announcement yesterday. Excited and thankful. The process of booking was about as frictionless as I can remember for booking anything.

Comment

Just been jabbed. Being a volunteer at this kind of thing can't be the most interesting way to spend your free time, but without those volunteers, none of this would be possible. I'm immensely thankful that volunteering is so widely practiced and valued.

Comment

Also, a lot of the volunteers would clearly be described as "foreigners", coming over 'ere, givin' their time for free.

Comment

Not sure that they're all volunteers. My son's applied to work at a test centre in Leeds and I'm fairly sure he's going to be paid.

Perhaps it depends on the precise nature of the role.

Comment

Whatever. I appreciate the work they all do. I've seen my first testing station in action this morning. It really can't be much fun gawping down people's gobs all day and making them gag.

Comment

Originally posted by steveeeeeeeee View Post
                                    Also, a lot of the volunteers would clearly be described as "foreigners", coming over 'ere, givin' their time for free.
                                    I noticed this too.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                      Not sure that they're all volunteers. My son's applied to work at a test centre in Leeds and I'm fairly sure he's going to be paid.

Perhaps it depends on the precise nature of the role.
                                      Test centres are staffed by agency workers, large vaccination centres like Excel are very clearly staffed by volunteers wearing t-shirts saying "volunteer".

Comment

Originally posted by steveeeeeeeee View Post

Test centres are staffed by agency workers, large vaccination centres like Excel are very clearly staffed by volunteers wearing t-shirts saying "volunteer".

It's a mix. My son confirmed he'll be paid when he actually manages to secure a shift, which he's still waiting for.

Good for the volunteers though. TBH, I'm not sure that I knew that they were asking for people. I'd happily lend them some of my time. I might see if they still need anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

It's a mix. My son confirmed he'll be paid when he actually manages to secure a shift, which he's still waiting for.

Good for the volunteers though. TBH, I'm not sure that I knew that they were asking for people. I'd happily lend them some of my time. I might see if they still need anyone.

Recruitment currently suspended.

Comment

https://twitter.com/ReicherStephen/status/1382347400090693637?s=20

Comment

I actually view it as a huge success of public-private partnership rather than an outrageous scandal.

Comment

Feeling a little funky the day after the second Pfizer shot, although nothing that's keeping me from work or puttering around the Internet. Interestingly to me, I did have a hard time sleeping, with many of the same symptoms that I associated with my insomnia problems after getting very sick last March. My sleep tracker noted that I had an elevated temperature last night and should take it easy today, so I have confirmation that it all wasn't in my head at least.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                                  I actually view it as a huge success of public-private partnership rather than an outrageous scandal.
                                                  In the rich countries- that could be seen as true I suppose. But It’s certainly not true elsewhere

Comment

Personal POV. I've had my first shot of the Moderna, and it was fine. No fuss, no waiting. But hurt like a not-toothache for about 4 days.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X