Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The COVID-19 Vaccination Progress Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    The COVID-19 Vaccination Progress Thread

    So, let's record the progress in ridding ourselves of the scourge of the COVID-19 virus, as family, friends and neighbours receive their jabs. It'll be good for morale but also help us track the speed, choices and any regional variations in the roll-out.

    I've also inserted a "poll" to allow OTFers to signify when they themselves have received the vaccine, or at least the initial dose thereof.

    So, to kick us off, Mrs. NS has just had her jab. I'm a bit surprised, though delighted, that it's come so soon. She's NHS but not front-line and has an underlying health condition, though not one that I would assume to massively increase her risk. But hey-ho and perhaps that's an encouraging indication that the initial net is broader than is generally assumed.

    Mrs NS's aunt and uncle, who are in their 80s and live in Halifax, were vaccinated a couple of weeks ago, but that's about it that I know of.

    And you?

    Gold Medal - Etienne

    Silver Medal - Gangster Octopus

    Bronze Medal - Hobbes
    17
    I've Now Been Vaccinated
    76.47%
    13
    ***I'm An Enthusiastic Conservative Party Voter***
    23.53%
    4
    Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 13-02-2021, 16:28.

    #2
    My sister, who is a nurse in the UK.

    Comment


      #3
      Must. Resist. Urge. To. Click. On. "***Don't Select This Option***"

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
        My sister, who is a nurse in the UK.

        Good stuff.

        Whereabouts is she, (general geographical regions will help give us an idea if certain areas are a bit more progressive or perhaps well-resourced than others)?

        Comment


          #5
          My parents (over 80, my dad with high risk comorbidities) got their first dose over a week ago. In Oxford.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
            Must. Resist. Urge. To. Click. On. "***Don't Select This Option***"
            I'm really struggling, too.


            Pops, 82, in Hastings, not heard a dicky bird as yet.

            Comment


              #7
              My local practice started vaccinating two weeks ago. Unfortunately my mother who is 92 doesn't live round here and hasn't heard anything yet, although one of her friends who is with a different practice and is younger has an appointment for this week. I'm just concerned that they are not sending out appointments by text message as they don't have my mother's number (this was how I missed an invitation for a flu vaccination).

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Capybara View Post
                My local practice started vaccinating two weeks ago. Unfortunately my mother who is 92 doesn't live round here and hasn't heard anything yet, although one of her friends who is with a different practice and is younger has an appointment for this week. I'm just concerned that they are not sending out appointments by text message as they don't have my mother's number (this was how I missed an invitation for a flu vaccination).

                Could you contact your mum's practice on her behalf and check that they have up-to-date contact details and perhaps what their roll-out plans are? Actually, GP surgeries are trying to discourage vaccination-related queries, so perhaps there's some useful information on their website.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post


                  Could you contact your mum's practice on her behalf and check that they have up-to-date contact details and perhaps what their roll-out plans are? Actually, GP surgeries are trying to discourage vaccination-related queries, so perhaps there's some useful information on their website.
                  Yes, they are actively discouraging enquiries - if you 'phone there's a recorded message saying that people will be invited in due course and not to contact them. The website has a message to the same effect.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    The first vaccination in the Republic happened today, so it'll probably be June, at the earliest, before my intake gets called up.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Vaccination schedule in this province:


                      Getting the vaccine


                      The first limited round of vaccinations began in December 2020, with health care workers who work in long-term care homes and on the frontlines of COVID-19 response in acute care among the first to receive the vaccine.
                      Vaccines will continue arriving each week in B.C. in increasing quantities, with targeted deployment for people in additional priority groups. Expected timelines will depend on vaccine approval and availability.

                      Priority vaccine groups

                      Public health will arrange for the following priority groups to be vaccinated against COVID-19. No action is required on your part.


                      First priority groups
                      • Long-term care and assisted living facility residents and staff
                      • Health care facility staff for COVID-19 patients in settings like Intensive Care Units, COVID-19 wards and emergency departments
                      • Indigenous people living in rural or remote communities
                      • High risk people living in group settings like shelters
                      • People over 80 years old
                      Second priority groups

                      In spring 2021 as more vaccine becomes available, a second phase of vaccination will begin for:
                      • Older people under age 80 in descending five-year-age groups, with a focus on the oldest people first
                      • Key frontline workers including:
                        • All other healthcare workers
                        • Police
                        • Fire and first responders
                        • People working in grocery stores
                        • People working in K to 12 education settings and child care providers
                        • People working in transportation
                        • People working in manufacturing and production facilities
                      The ordering of priority groups is based on recommendations from the National Advisory Committee on Immunization.

                      General population timeline

                      Following all priority groups, all others in B.C. can get vaccinated as more vaccine becomes available, if the vaccines available are recommended for them.
                      A registration and record system is in development, including a process to register for vaccine access and to receive a formal record of immunization.
                      • There is no need to call your local health authority at this time
                      Vaccines are recommended. Everyone in B.C. will have the opportunity to get the vaccine by the end of 2021. Herd immunity could be reached once 60 to 70% of the population is vaccinated. When people in British Columbia decide to get the COVID-19 vaccine, they are not only protecting themselves from the virus, they are also protecting everyone around them. If a majority of British Columbians get the COVID-19 vaccine, this would reduce transmission rapidly.
                      Until then, we all need to continue to protect each other by following public health orders and:
                      • Washing our hands
                      • Staying home when sick
                      • Staying physically distant from people we don’t know
                      • Wearing a mask in public indoor spaces

                      Generally I've been impressed and gratified by the BC government's handling of this pandemic. Their communications have been clear and unambiguous, and this is no exception. It looks as if jabs for us will happen sometime in April or early May.
                      Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 29-12-2020, 16:56.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        British Columbians
                        I'd never thought about that noun before. Are people of UK ethnic extraction from Medellin called British Colombians?

                        Comment


                          #13
                          I guess so. What else would they be called, Latinx Brits? More likely just Ex-pats
                          Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 29-12-2020, 17:01.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            My auntie who is, I think, 83, got her first shot in Middlesbrough about ten days ago.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                              The first vaccination in the Republic happened today, so it'll probably be June, at the earliest, before my intake gets called up.
                              The way they're talking about it, it will be June at the earliest before the second person in Ireland gets vaccinated.

                              Comment


                                #16
                                Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post


                                Good stuff.

                                Whereabouts is she, (general geographical regions will help give us an idea if certain areas are a bit more progressive or perhaps well-resourced than others)?
                                West Yorkshire

                                Comment


                                  #17
                                  My nan in Doncaster got her first jab about 2 weeks ago.

                                  Comment


                                    #18
                                    My aunt in Des Moines, 77, is due to get it next week. She’s in an assisted-living/retirement village type place, but not the nursing part. Her health is pretty good overall.

                                    Comment


                                      #19
                                      No clue when I'll be able to get it. Maybe in Spring? It's not like we're going to be told when to go in to get it, it'll be up to people to secure a time when they can get it, and I imagine that every physician's office is going to be slammed with demand for it. It would be nice if my employer was going to do sort of mass vaccination events for staff since they have the space to hold it outside and the hospital right there, but there's no plan for that.

                                      Comment


                                        #20
                                        I'm 10th out of 13th groups for vaccination, so God alone knows when they get round to me.

                                        Comment


                                          #21
                                          The complete lack of apparent structure in the US is shocking given how long the national and state governments have had to plan for this (although not shocking when you know who the national government is).

                                          Comment


                                            #22
                                            Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                            Vaccination schedule in this province:


                                            Getting the vaccine


                                            The first limited round of vaccinations began in December 2020, with health care workers who work in long-term care homes and on the frontlines of COVID-19 response in acute care among the first to receive the vaccine.
                                            Vaccines will continue arriving each week in B.C. in increasing quantities, with targeted deployment for people in additional priority groups. Expected timelines will depend on vaccine approval and availability.

                                            Priority vaccine groups

                                            Public health will arrange for the following priority groups to be vaccinated against COVID-19. No action is required on your part.


                                            First priority groups
                                            • Long-term care and assisted living facility residents and staff
                                            • Health care facility staff for COVID-19 patients in settings like Intensive Care Units, COVID-19 wards and emergency departments
                                            • Indigenous people living in rural or remote communities
                                            • High risk people living in group settings like shelters
                                            • People over 80 years old
                                            Second priority groups

                                            In spring 2021 as more vaccine becomes available, a second phase of vaccination will begin for:
                                            • Older people under age 80 in descending five-year-age groups, with a focus on the oldest people first
                                            • Key frontline workers including:
                                              • All other healthcare workers
                                              • Police
                                              • Fire and first responders
                                              • People working in grocery stores
                                              • People working in K to 12 education settings and child care providers
                                              • People working in transportation
                                              • People working in manufacturing and production facilities
                                            The ordering of priority groups is based on recommendations from the National Advisory Committee on Immunization.

                                            General population timeline

                                            Following all priority groups, all others in B.C. can get vaccinated as more vaccine becomes available, if the vaccines available are recommended for them.
                                            A registration and record system is in development, including a process to register for vaccine access and to receive a formal record of immunization.
                                            • There is no need to call your local health authority at this time
                                            Vaccines are recommended. Everyone in B.C. will have the opportunity to get the vaccine by the end of 2021. Herd immunity could be reached once 60 to 70% of the population is vaccinated. When people in British Columbia decide to get the COVID-19 vaccine, they are not only protecting themselves from the virus, they are also protecting everyone around them. If a majority of British Columbians get the COVID-19 vaccine, this would reduce transmission rapidly.
                                            Until then, we all need to continue to protect each other by following public health orders and:
                                            • Washing our hands
                                            • Staying home when sick
                                            • Staying physically distant from people we don’t know
                                            • Wearing a mask in public indoor spaces

                                            Generally I've been impressed and gratified by the BC government's handling of this pandemic. Their communications have been clear and unambiguous, and this is no exception. It looks as if jabs for us will happen sometime in April or early May.
                                            Are Indigenous people living in rural or remote settings particularly susceptible?

                                            Comment


                                              #23
                                              Yes, much higher death rates due to diabetes, obesity and other risk factors, plus lower access to medical services.

                                              Comment


                                                #24
                                                Father-in-law who is 82 and has every single possible underlying health condition (obesity? Tick! Cancer? Tick! Heart condition? Tick! Diabetes? Tick!) has still not received the vaccine or been told a specific date when he will be offered it.

                                                Comment


                                                  #25
                                                  Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                                                  I'm 10th out of 13th groups for vaccination, so God alone knows when they get round to me.
                                                  If the shower of fannies in govt Hold Firm to teachers being in group 9, and the new variant is more infectious around kids, and they reopen schools next week, blood on their fuckin hands.

                                                  Comment

                                                  Working...
                                                  X