The COVID-19 Vaccination Progress Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
    Depressingly, Serbia, which has the highest vaccination rate in Europe (I believe) is in the middle of a massive spike of cases, and they've just gone in for a new massive shutdown
    It's depressing. But it's worth remembering that Serbia has still only vaccinated 20% of the population - which is not enough on its own to prevent massive spikes in cases. We don't know what the number is but you have to assume that it's got to be well over 50%. A 20% vaccination rate combined with a reasonable lockdown seems to work OK in Britain, but the stats suggest that something like 30% of the public also had immunity from having already had the disease.

Although Serbia is ahead of many European countries on vaccination, they aren't so far ahead that they can crush the infection curve through vaccination yet. What is almost certain is that there current vaccination levels have already slowed down the new spike which would have been much worse without.

Comment

Here is the explainer from
      the Paul Ehrlich instititute-

https://twitter.com/d_spiegel/status/1371908865042878466?s=21

Comment

Thanks, Nef. That's a bit more of a substantive issue than it had previously been made out to be. I think that I still don't see a great case for halting the current vaccination program, though, given the current infection rates across much of Europe and given that lack of available supply of other vaccines.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
          Thanks, Nef. That's a bit more of a substantive issue than it had previously been made out to be. I think that I still don't see a great case for halting the current vaccination program, though, given the current infection rates across much of Europe and given that lack of available supply of other vaccines.
          The "lack of supply" issues in the EU are mostly related to AZ anyway

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

The "lack of supply" issues in the EU are mostly related to AZ anyway
            Maybe, but the issue is that if you stop AZ today there's nothing else to fill the gap.

If every AZ appointment could be replaced with a Pfizer or Moderna or J&J one, then there wouldn't be any problem with suspending AZ until you're clear on the clotting issue.

But right now the choice is between AZ and nothing for those not already booked for Pfizer. It looks like the risk from getting AZ remains notably lower than the risk of being unvaccinated.

Comment

My wife is booked in for Saturday - Pfizer, first injection.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post

Maybe, but the issue is that if you stop AZ today there's nothing else to fill the gap.

If every AZ appointment could be replaced with a Pfizer or Moderna or J&J one, then there wouldn't be any problem with suspending AZ until you're clear on the clotting issue.

But right now the choice is between AZ and nothing for those not already booked for Pfizer. It looks like the risk from getting AZ remains notably lower than the risk of being unvaccinated.
                I agree with the final part. But like I said earlier, only about 10% of vaccinations here are AZ (and obviously zero percent are J&J).

Comment

#Wouter D Thank you for your post. British media have been talking to Nice German Scientists all day (at least in my day) and attempting to ram their big "look at our vaccinations" cock down their throats.

British deaths 126k. German deaths 74k, equivalent 54k for population.

There is nothing wrong with a careful scientific approach. There is nothing wrong with societies doubting big pharma, given their record. I have heard so much joy from Britain from people who are enjoying the collective vaccine rush, and rightly so. My parents got their second jabs this week. The English have been so royally fucked over by their government over covid that they are just embracing the hope. Any hope. Any doubt is out of the window.

European countries have also been fucked over by drugs scandals and drug companies before, but their populations are slightly more demanding and distrustful, rightly or wrongly in this case.

Does anyone seriously think that Britain is suddenly, miraculously, massively better at caring for its population than 27 other civilised countries?

They took a gamble on early approval, which paid off. If it didn't, it would have proved their callous disregard for their plebs, who have, for a long time accepted their role as plebs. Astra Zeneca have also severely reneged on their assurances to Europe. Vaccines should really not be used as a politically expedient weapon. But it's so timely and convenient.

​​​​​I don't really have any personal doubts as to the positive benefits of the AZ vaccine in ending this and saving lives. But i don't think there is anything wrong with governments being doubly careful, and and thinking about their long term responsibility to their people at the moment.

Comment

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/corona...s-vaccination/

The website is now taking bookings for 50+

I checked last night and it was 55+

Comment

And I am booked...first jab on the 28th, second 15th of June!

Comment

Good Twitter thread on how the AZ vaccine concerns might pan out in terms of political action and its consequences for COVID death numbers.

(20) Mark Toshner on Twitter: "Never make predictions. Especially about the future... Here’s what will happen with vaccine clots reporting in next few weeks 1/n" / Twitter

Comment

Just had my 1st jab - it was the AZ one.

Comment

I had my first AZ one yesterday in Chingford. All very stoic and straightforward. I?m 44 and with a slightly fatty liver, which is hopefully a lot less fatty as I?ve cut down on the sauce and lost a couple of stone by going running during lockdown. No side effects so far.

Comment

I really, really hate needles so am rather glad I managed to book an early appointment tomorrow morning.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post
                                I really, really hate needles so am rather glad I managed to book an early appointment tomorrow morning.
                                I do too, I explained to the staff there, at the Excel, and they were really helpful and understanding.

I hope yours goes as smoothly.

Comment

Massachusetts announced their timetable today, which has been moved forward as it appears that there's an increase in vaccine supply coming on stream and 10% more than expected were delivered this week:

Over 65s and two comorbidities and many essential workers already eligible

March 22: Over 60s, grocery workers, restaurant staff, transit staff become eligible

Apr 5: Over 55s and one comorbidity become eligible

Apr 19: Everyone else becomes eligible

The state says that we've fully vaccinated 14% of the public so far, and given a first vaccine to around another 25%. Already impressive numbers, but once you realise that the population includes under 18s that means we've start on half of the available population, so it makes sense to widen the net again.

Comment

Looks like the UK's programme is about to hit the buffers

Comment

I'm now booked in too - first jab on the 24th March, second one on 15th June. (I'd been checking the site multiple times daily, so got on there fast when I noticed 50 year olds were now allowed to apply.)

Comment

Who gives a fuck what happens now. More than 80% of Tory voters have had their first jab, and have had their second jab guaranteed.

Time to start pushing the line that we'd love to do the rest of you, but supply problems and global obligations to poor helpless folk abroad. But never those Uropean bastards.

I've always been a bit cynical. The last 5 years have absolutely cemented my cynical cuntiness.

Comment

For the record:

https://www.twitter.com/redouad/status/1372552418777567234

Comment

I was in a meeting earlier with a colleague (probably aged 51 or thereabouts) with no particular underlying conditions who had her jab on Sunday and said it was like getting the worse dose of flu she'd ever had. Had to take Monday and Tuesday off work. Thumping headache, fatigue and really short of breath.

Anyone recognise this? I've not been asked for mine yet.

Comment

Had the AZ yesterday afternoon. I was ok today up until mid-afternoon, since when I have felt very weak and tired and have very achy limbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                                                I was in a meeting earlier with a colleague (probably aged 51 or thereabouts) with no particular underlying conditions who had her jab on Sunday and said it was like getting the worse dose of flu she'd ever had. Had to take Monday and Tuesday off work. Thumping headache, fatigue and really short of breath.

I've heard that about 10% of people go through this after dose 1 of AZ (but are fine after dose 2)

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post
                                                  Note to self: When booking through the NHS site remember to click all the way through to confirm your booking so you don't turn up first thing in the morning and get turned away because they have nothing spare.

Which means I've now got to wait until next Wednesday. However in other news Mrs G did some EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing) with me last night and might just have cured that needle phobia anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post

Obviously not scientific, but of my group of seven close friends who keep in very regular contact, two experienced similar symptoms but were fine the day after the symptoms developed. It was certainly not a two-day thing.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X