No announcement yet.

Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The current UK death toll of 46,299 is higher than the population of Andover, Hampshire.

Comment

South America has reached 150,000+ deaths from Covid-19. Four South American countries are now in the top 10 in terms of total number of cases, Brazil, Peru, Chile and Colombia.

Comment

Lockdown imposed in Aberdeen - meanwhile, even though no deaths were officially recorded in Scotland (28 days after diagnosis), if however, they followed the Irish methodology, where Covid is a contributory factor at any time, then 7 deaths were recorded in the last week.

Comment

Oh well, that's Aberdeen back in lockdown with all indoor and outdoor hospitality closing from 5pm tonight.
          People should not travel more than five miles for leisure purposes, travelling for work or education is permitted, but other travel is not advised.
          People from outwith the city are advised not to travel to Aberdeen.

64 new cases today, 36 of those in the Grampian area (15 were in the Greater Glasgow and Clyde area), and a total of 54 cases are linked to the 'Hawthorn cluster'.
          0 deaths (with a +ve test) in the last 24 hours.

FFS

Comment

Global death toll of 706,270 now exceeds the population of Washington DC.

Comment

14 cases / 2 deaths in Wales reported today

Comment

UK death toll of 46,364 is higher than the population of Salisbury, Wiltshire.

Comment

Does the Aberdeen lockdown apply to the football club?

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                    Does the Aberdeen lockdown apply to the football club?
                    Nope, Saturday's game in Perth v St Johnstone is still on.

Comment

50 cases and 0 deaths in Ireland today. 47 county cases as of Monday (33 Kildare, 8 Dublin, 2 Cavan, 1 each for Cork, Laois, Sligo, Westmeath). 81% under 45, 84% close contacts of other cases.

Comment

I'm sure that the Aberdonians are pissed off, but I look at that reaction to a single cluster and I think "Thank fuck some place are still doing the right thing."

You bring case levels close to zero. You slowly reopen. And when there is a cluster you shut down again locally while letting the rest of the country continue.

Comment

Bloody hell - reading some of the stories out of US schools, I'm really scared about what's going to happen when schools reopen here.

Comment

Especially if it is followed by the same full speed ahead attitude that is being exhibited here

Comment

Our grandkids in an international school in Houston, have been given the choice of attending actual classes or continuing on line in September. They'd rather go — though they won't be able to mix with friends at recess — but their parents have nixed it.

Comment

It's depressing and horrifying to see pictures of schools in Georgia as they start up again.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimski View Post
                                  Bloody hell - reading some of the stories out of US schools, I'm really scared about what's going to happen when schools reopen here.
                                  Could you share some of these please.

Comment

Quick update on us, in case anyone is interested. We're all fine. I have experienced a few symptoms over the last week which could theoretically have been Covid related. (headache, sort throat, muscle weakness, possible conjunctivitis), but none of them together (and no fever). Obviously nearly all of those symptoms could either be psychosomatic or just simply stand alone things (as Freud is rumoured to have once said "sometimes a headache is just a headache"). I've reached my arbitrary day at which i feel pretty much safe. E reached hers on Monday. The kids are totally fine. I have no idea if we've had it and been fine, or simply not caught it. I'm thinking of trying to get the antibody test, but it sounds like it's pretty unreliable.

Anyway, that's where we are

In more important news, what this has revealed (and probably made even clearer than it was before) is how bad the Romanian system is handling this. We have been in self imposed quarantine since we found out. We found out from our friend who is still in hospital with it. No official communication, no requirement to isolate, no contact from anyone except our friend and his wife. If he hadn't got in touch we'd still be on holiday this week, probably going to restaurants and bars, certainly staying in pensions, visiting friends, etc. It's really bad, and it is no wonder that Romania is currently the worse country in Europe for new infections (i think anyway, I haven;t seen stats for a few days)

Comment

That's good to hear (the first part, not the second).

Comment

Good to hear (the first paragraph).

Comment

Bolivia has now reported more cases than China and 3,385 deaths.

Comment

Glad to hear that you and yours are keeping well, ad hoc, long may it continue.

Meanwhile over here, the number of new cases is on the climb again. A week or so ago the government was warned that if nothing was done and the increase continued then the situation could become dangerous by the end of this month. The authorities haven't acted yet, but let's see what the next few days bring.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                              Quick update on us, in case anyone is interested. We're all fine. I have experienced a few symptoms over the last week which could theoretically have been Covid related. (headache, sort throat, muscle weakness, possible conjunctivitis), but none of them together (and no fever). Obviously nearly all of those symptoms could either be psychosomatic or just simply stand alone things (as Freud is rumoured to have once said "sometimes a headache is just a headache"). I've reached my arbitrary day at which i feel pretty much safe. E reached hers on Monday. The kids are totally fine. I have no idea if we've had it and been fine, or simply not caught it. I'm thinking of trying to get the antibody test, but it sounds like it's pretty unreliable.

Of course we're interested and it's good to hear that you reckon that you and your loved ones haven't contracted the lurgy, or at least a serious dose of it.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

Anyway, that's where we are

In more important news, what this has revealed (and probably made even clearer than it was before) is how bad the Romanian system is handling this. We have been in self imposed quarantine since we found out. We found out from our friend who is still in hospital with it. No official communication, no requirement to isolate, no contact from anyone except our friend and his wife. If he hadn't got in touch we'd still be on holiday this week, probably going to restaurants and bars, certainly staying in pensions, visiting friends, etc. It's really bad, and it is no wonder that Romania is currently the worse country in Europe for new infections (i think anyway, I haven;t seen stats for a few days)
                                                Glad to hear that you're OK.
                                                My doctor's advice was to keep monitoring. If you have had a mild case it's possible that symptoms will recur or get worse. So

Comment

Todays update from Caledonia, and more specifically from The Peoples Republic of Aberdonia:

67 new positive cases in Scotland, with 39 being in the NHS Grampian area, and 17 in the Glasgow and Clyde area.
                                                  The Aberdeen cluster currently totals 79 positive cases and 30 suspected cases, 28 bars & restaurants are linked to the outbreak, as well as 3 golf clubs and 1 football social club.

Overall in Scotland there are 270 patients are in hospital with a confirmed case (+3), with 4 being treated in intensive care (+1).
                                                  0 deaths in the last 24 hours.

Comment

19 million cases globally. The last million took 4.5 days, which is slower than the previous million (that took 3 days), the first time I've been able to say that since the pandemic started. It is partly because this million covered a weekend, but I think there are signs that the rate of increase is slowing globally, if only slightly.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X