Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post

It's common sense about masks but what can we do. My school has said masks and PPE will scare the kids and has implied that we shouldn't wear masks for that reasons.

I think 65k deaths and being in the top three in the world is a little more to be concerned about rather than scaring a few kids.

I bought a couple more masks from the local pharmacy yesterday, I'm starting to collect a few to find which are the most comfortable and which don't steam up my glasses.
    Supposedly rinsing your glasses in soapy water prevents them steaming up.

Comment

[QUOTE=Sporting;n2309693]

It's common sense about masks but what can we do. My school has said masks and PPE will scare the kids and has implied that we shouldn't wear masks for that reasons.

Kids here are completely used to seeing adults wearing masks, and wearing masks themselves. Kids are not stupid.
      Kids are very adaptable, nearly everything is new to them, if you came in wearing a suit of armour they'd be fine with it.

Comment

The number of cases in the USA just exceeded the total number of cases in the whole of Europe, including Russia (they exceeded the number of EU cases a while ago).

Comment

The number of new cases reported today has gone through the roof, helped by almost 50,000 more cases in Brazil, which is over 10,000 more that the US has reported on its worst day during the crisis.

Comment

Now 55k in Brazil today and climbing.

Calamitous.

Comment

Yes, the eventual global tally yesterday was 181,005.

Re: Brazil's huge spike in numbers, the true toll is believed to be even higher as there is a lack of testing, and must experts believe the peak has not been reached. Bolsonaro has actively opposed any type of lockdown. Brazil has the potential to be hit even worse than the states.

Comment

Schools in England to go back to normal in September, seriously wtf?

Comment

Don't you know that it's all going to magically disappear over summer? Just like it did in countries with a serious lockdown. The fact that the UK hasn't had a full lockdown won't affect the downward trend at all. No sirree. #sarcasm

Comment

Pubs opening with patrons being asked to maintain social distancing. While watching the footy on the big screens. Yes, that's going to happen.

Comment

Meanwhile, Mexico has reached 170,000+ cases and 20,000+ deaths.

Comment

I presume we've all got this on our phone now.

Comment

I presume we've all got this on our phone now.
                          The Turkish government must actually have an app then - none in Ireland or the UK yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post

The Turkish government must actually have an app then - none in Ireland or the UK yet.
                            I'm in the UK Diable Rouge, we've been here since October 2012.

Comment

It seems to be this: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53120290

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                This article suggests that in fact the whole idea of the 2m distancing only applies if you're in a space for a short period of time. People in an enclosed space for longer than 10-15 minutes will not be helped much by distancing as they'll get the virus anyway. Classrooms are an obvious space where this is relevant https://science.sciencemag.org/conte...cience.abc6197

Also makes clear the importance of masks
                                I've shared this on LinkedIn, not many people have seen it but there has been one comment, to the effect of don't want to be a party pooper but it gets in just as easily through the eyes.

Now I don't want to get into arguments on social media so I've just said it's about reducing risk and social responsibility but I'm shocked at the post, does this mean that the person won't wear a mask because it doesn't stop all of the virus or does it mean that when they go out they put on an Ebola style suit?

The UK is just a seriously fucked up country.

​​​​​​​22 days in a row with more than 1,000 deaths and people are quibbling over sensible precautions.

Comment

The main point of wearing a mask is to protect others in case you are carrying the virus.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                    The main point of wearing a mask is to protect others in case you are carrying the virus.
                                    Exactly this, many people are asymptomatic so just wear one and don't be selfish.

Comment

The UK is just a seriously fucked up country.

​​​​​​​22 days in a row with more than 1,000 deaths and people are quibbling over sensible precautions.
                                      Where are you getting those figures from? Is that ONS data from the peak? Or deaths from all causes not just Covid-19? Because currently, the UK is seeing official Covid-19 daily deaths ranging from 36-233.

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...navirus-crisis

Here you are Balderdasha

I wasn't clear that this was in April and not now but when the figures are revised they are revised upwards and don't include the excess deaths that the ONS does.

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...navirus-crisis

Here you are Balderdasha

I wasn't clear that this was in April and not now but when the figures are revised they are revised upwards and don't include the excess deaths that the ONS does.
                                          Thank you.

Comment

Second day in a row with more than 150,000 new cases globally, and that's with weekend reporting.

Comment

Brazil is the second country to report more than 50,000 Covid-19 deaths.

Comment

India has exceeded 400,000 cases and reported more than 13,000 deaths.

Comment

In contrast, the entire continent of Africa has only just reported 300,000 cases and still fewer than 8,000 deaths.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                                                    In contrast, the entire continent of Africa has only just reported 300,000 cases and still fewer than 8,000 deaths.
                                                    Yes but countries like Tanzania haven't issued firgures for over a month. A friend buried her father-in-law yesterday - he died of a stroke brought on by COVID-19. This is in a country that has the president declaring it COVID-19 free thanks to the power of prayer. But all 4 wards of the hospital he was in are full of COVID patients. 2020 - election year - figures

Comment

Working...
                                                    X