Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    There already are legal challenges in other states.

Wisconsin just has the most reactionary Supreme Court in the country.

And of course the decisive vote here was cast by the muppet who got trounced in the primary despite all of the GOP's voter suppression measures to try to save him.
    It was the actual election, wasn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by sw2borshch View Post
      I'm not saying that we don't have a lot of small fry doyles who can rustle up a few bob and a bit of self-organisation but I (think i) am saying that many of them get a nudge, possibly more than they themselves realise.
      https://twitter.com/otto_english/status/1260829867446321152?s=21

Comment

What a fucking surprise, thanks for sharing that Ray de Galles

Comment

Clicking on Jayda Fransen on Companies House to see their other directorships may be instructive too.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight shadow View Post
            That immunity after infection theory is looking less and less certain too, South Korean studies shows AB presence either minimal or non- existent in significant percentage of people...
            They could have T-cell immunity though. A German study showed that a bunch of people with no detectable antibodies were immune anyway, through their T-cells.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post

It was the actual election, wasn't it?
              Yes, I keep making that mistake because (as we discussed earlier), the primary and "real" election were conducted simultaneously

Comment

Ah yes, I remember.

Comment

Why does the incumbent stay in office after the election?

Comment

The US has a tradition of election winners taking office a few months after the election that goes back to the days of coaches and horses. Presidential inaugurations, for example, were in March (or later) until 1937.

It is less problematic for legislative contests, given that the legislature is rarely in session during the interim, but is obviously more problematic in a case like this (though it isn't close to being the worse thing about partisan elections for state supreme court justices).

Comment

Indoors is dangerous - even current distancing measures not enough. Why are people being sent back to work?

https://twitter.com/PeterDaszak/status/1260891474360709120

Comment

The droplets must also be circulated by AC systems, meaning that distancing is less effective.

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post

They could have T-cell immunity though. A German study showed that a bunch of people with no detectable antibodies were immune anyway, through their T-cells.
                          Also, as I understand it, nobody's yet seen someone who's recovered become sick a second time. We may not know that recovery guarantees immunity, but empirically it looks pretty certain that recovery offers at least some protection for a reasonable length of time.

Comment

The policy implications of that are not terribly clear, though.

There will be proposals for some kind of "immunity passports" for those with positive antibody tests, but there will be pushback as long as the immunity question is uncertain.

By the same token, if the positive antibody counts for broad populations remain in the five percent range (as they did in France's first national analysis), any policy grounded in herd immunity is going to be a non-starter.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                              There will be proposals for some kind of "immunity passports" for those with positive antibody tests, but there will be pushback as long as the immunity question is uncertain.
                              Which strikes me as a very unwise idea - basically "rewarding" people for having been infected. Where could that lead, I wonder?

Comment

Current UK official death toll (not including that extra 10,000 care home deaths): 33,614.

Population of the town I live in (2011 figures): 33,352.

That is just heartbreaking.

Comment

Swedish Chief Epidemiologist Anders Tegnell says he doesn't see the point of wearing face masks on a plane, seeing as there is no documented case of transmission on a plane.

This guy is a fucking troll.

Comment

You wouldn't get me on a fucking plane even if you gave me full hospital grade PPE, tbh.

Comment

English virus infection rate estimate: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52662066

Comment

Another report on the OFS estimates:

https://twitter.com/david_conn/status/1260947653359284225

Comment

Originally posted by Jimski View Post
                                          You wouldn't get me on a fucking plane even if you gave me full hospital grade PPE, tbh.
                                          You could put me on a plane at the moment to almost anywhere else in the EU and I'd dance up the stairs. Except maybe Spain, heard it's pissing down there.

Comment

More than 300,000 deaths globally.

Comment

That's more than the annual total deaths from measles and cholera combined in 2016.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post

You could put me on a plane at the moment to almost anywhere else in the EU and I'd dance up the stairs. Except maybe Spain, heard it's pissing down there.
                                                Heh.

Comment

Very odd Irish daily update today - cases were a staggeringly high 426, but it transpired a hospital "in the south" hadn't reported up to 300 cases since the start of the outbreak. The county data reflected the normal figures, rather than the gross total, so hard to know where exactly it was.

Comment

Meanwhile, the Diocese of Kerry is considering opening churches for private prayer, but people advised not to sit down, or touch anything:

https://www.dioceseofkerry.ie/2020/0...rsonal-prayer/

Comment

Working...
                                                    X