No announcement yet.

Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is fairly interesting - excess deaths by local authority in the UK - be even better to get a proper interactive map of the data:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...glish-councils

Comment

This article suggests that in fact the whole idea of the 2m distancing only applies if you're in a space for a short period of time. People in an enclosed space for longer than 10-15 minutes will not be helped much by distancing as they'll get the virus anyway. Classrooms are an obvious space where this is relevant https://science.sciencemag.org/conte...cience.abc6197

Also makes clear the importance of masks

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
        This article suggests that in fact the whole idea of the 2m distancing only applies if you're in a space for a short period of time. People in an enclosed space for longer than 10-15 minutes will not be helped much by distancing as they'll get the virus anyway. Classrooms are an obvious space where this is relevant https://science.sciencemag.org/conte...cience.abc6197

Impressive research. Are Trump and Johnson listening?

Comment

Meanwhile we've gone to DefCon 3

(apologies if it's hidden in that morass of posts above)

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-53106673

Comment

Indeed. But Orange County seems breed its own kind of crazy.

Comment

I haven't been able to keep up with this thread. Has there been discussion of the possible correlation between MMR shots (measles, mumps, rubella) and reduced symptoms with Covid? There's some talk of giving adults boosters, and the fact that kids have gotten them recently could explain the different outcomes in that age bracket. Sorry if this is redundant.

Comment

No, that hasn't been mentioned and I actually hadn't heard that

Comment

It's potentially to do with the general protection it gives to inflammatory response whatsit.

Comment

It looks like there was a study at Louisiana State U. And there's the possibly relevant fact that military recruits get MMRs, and that carrier that got hit with hundreds of infections didn't result in many serious cases. Just a theory at this point I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimski View Post
                      This is fairly interesting - excess deaths by local authority in the UK - be even better to get a proper interactive map of the data:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...glish-councils
                      Yay! We're number one!

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno View Post
                        It looks like there was a study at Louisiana State U. And there's the possibly relevant fact that military recruits get MMRs, and that carrier that got hit with hundreds of infections didn't result in many serious cases. Just a theory at this point I guess.
                        I've seen several articles a few weeks ago (e.g. here, in French) about a British study that found a correlation between MMR vaccination and developing milder symptoms when infected. Also there seems to be a lot of research done at the moment on whether the BCG vaccine could similarly protect against the most severe complications.

Comment

2 deaths and 13 cases in Ireland today - my own county had gone a month Covid-free until two new cases were recorded on Wednesday.

Comment

Going by the good folk of Harrow, having the highest death rate isn't enough; we appear to be deliberately trying to start the second wave...

Comment

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1274031715917455361

Comment

Brazil is now the second country to report more than a million cases, and is up to 48,427 deaths.

Comment

Government relationship with figures grows ever more relaxed, having managed to underreport deaths by 64% in parts of April.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...e_iOSApp_Other

Comment

Bangladesh and Canada have exceeded 100,000 cases.

Comment

Saudi Arabia has over 150,000 cases.

Comment

Iran has over 200,000 cases, over 9,300 deaths, and even though the data from there is probably unreliable, it's clear that they've had a second wave (cases and deaths went down considerably at the end of April and then way back up again).

Comment

Ireland reopening big time on 29th June. Barbers, Hairdressers, Restaurants, Pubs that serve food, Cinemas, Theatres all allowed back open. All sports allowed to start back as well. Indoor gatherings of 50 people, outdoor up to 200. I really hope that they know what they are doing. As was said on the news today, the doctors have run the country for the last 3 months, now the politicians are taking over again.

Comment

I got an email today saying that Cineworld cinemas will be reopening in England on 10th July. I have s number of questions about this. 1) I don't remember giving Cineworld permission to send me emails. 2) Has there been a government announcement saying that cinemas can reopen that I've missed? If not, why I am finding this out from Cineworld not the government? 3) Who in their right mind would want to sit in a crowded cinema next door to hundreds of strangers for hours on end during a continuing pandemic?!?

Comment

The county fair is, unsurprisingly, not going to happen this year (which probably would be 'surprisingly' in some other counties around the country), instead they are having drive-in movies for three days in the parking lot.
                                              Tonight: Dodgeball
                                              Tomorrow night: Napoleon Dynamite
                                              Next Friday: Independence Day

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

It's common sense about masks but what can we do. My school has said masks and PPE will scare the kids and has implied that we shouldn't wear masks for that reasons.

I think 65k deaths and being in the top three in the world is a little more to be concerned about rather than scaring a few kids.

I bought a couple more masks from the local pharmacy yesterday, I'm starting to collect a few to find which are the most comfortable and which don't steam up my glasses.

Comment

Devolution works, folks. Y'all should move to Wales and join Yes Cymru

Comment

[QUOTE=Antepli Ejderha;n2309688]

It's common sense about masks but what can we do. My school has said masks and PPE will scare the kids and has implied that we shouldn't wear masks for that reasons.

Kids here are completely used to seeing adults wearing masks, and wearing masks themselves. Kids are not stupid.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X