No announcement yet.

Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The reports coming out of India have amazed me; not so much the chaos of mass internal migration but rather the utter lack of comprehension on the part of a democratic government on the reality of the lives of masses of their citizens. What the hell did they think was going to happen when they announce a complete lockdown on a population where many millions live from hand to mouth?

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post

Yes, I agree it's not a totally fair comparison yet, but it's still showing how high the current daily death toll is.
      definitely

Comment

Originally posted by Glass Half Empty View Post
        The reports coming out of India have amazed me; not so much the chaos of mass internal migration but rather the utter lack of comprehension on the part of a democratic government on the reality of the lives of masses of their citizens. What the hell did they think was going to happen when they announce a complete lockdown on a population where many millions live from hand to mouth?
        Not so surprising when you recall the demonetisation fiasco.

Comment

Originally posted by Lurgee View Post
          Really, Mississippi?
          Could it BE anyone else?

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
            Muukalainen, what does Finland make of Sweden's approach to the crisis?
            I've had difficulty finding any comment at all about Sweden's approach, at least via the media. The government's opinion can perhaps best be judged by the fact that we're adopting a very different approach, ours being the common line of restricting movement. Privately, opinions vary from "plain stupidity" to "they're running a hell of a risk", though my social circle isn't exactly wide at the moment. I certainly don't know of anyone who agrees with it or thinks it's a risk worth taking.

We've been incredibly lucky in Pohjois-Pohjanmaa with the outbreak so far, with just 58 confirmed cases, 3 in hospital (2 of those in ICU) and a single death. I trust that this situation won't lead to a sense of complacency, and that people continue to take their individual responsibilities seriously. The evidence from elsewhere is very clear as to what can happen to us too.

Comment

Croatia and Slovenia have more than 800 cases.

Comment

Re: domestic production: this just got announced by Science Group:

On 13 March 2020, Sagentia Limited, a subsidiary of Science Group plc, attended a conference call with a number of other organisations at the request of the UK Government. The UK programme for a Rapidly Manufactured Ventilator System ("RMVS") was initiated.

A team from Sagentia commenced work immediately. In just a few weeks, the Science Group team, led by Sagentia with additional resourcing from across the Group, has developed, prototyped and documented the Sagentia Ventilator. This very intensive development programme is continuing to be funded by the UK Government on a time and materials basis.

The Sagentia Ventilator adopts a different approach from other participants in the UK Government RMVS initiative by primarily using conventional fabrication techniques (eg CNC machining and laser cutting), services which can be supplied by a wide range of manufacturing partners. As such, this innovative design minimises sourced components (which are currently in high demand around the world) and also provides an intuitive user interface to facilitate rapid deployment with minimal training.

A working prototype of the Sagentia Ventilator has been produced and 20 trial units are currently in the process of being manufactured. These units will be used for evaluation and submitted for regulatory approval through the Medical and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency ("MHRA"). As with any medical device, there can be no certainty that the unit will receive regulatory approval nor that the Sagentia Ventilator will enter production.

A manufacturing contract ("Manufacturing Contract") is being negotiated by Science Group with the UK Government, for production of 10,000 units of the Sagentia Ventilator conditional upon receiving MHRA approval. These units will be manufactured by a subsidiary of Science Group and/or subcontract manufacturing organisations. The Manufacturing Contract is anticipated to provide Science Group with the necessary working capital and cash flow for materials procurement, labour, overheads and set up costs. Certain long lead-time components have already been ordered to accelerate the manufacturing schedule of the Sagentia Ventilator.

From first concept to manufactured medical device in one month is a formidable challenge set by the UK Government. But these are extraordinary times. The Sagentia Ventilator Team have exhibited incredible dedication and commitment and the Science Group Board is proud of the remarkable achievement and the potential contribution that the Group is making to address the Covid-19 pandemic. Science Group also acknowledge the unprecedented collaboration between normally competitor Cambridge-based consultancies, together with the support provided by the UK Government in their determination to deliver this critical initiative. The RMVS programme has again demonstrated the outstanding and innovative capability of British science and engineering.

Comment

13 more deaths in Scotland, 6 in NI and 7 in Wales.

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/davidlarter/status/1244975396619198465?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                      None of them look particularly easy to draw, except Alabama and Texas.
                      ...and Colorado (which has always been one of my favourites), surely?

Comment

Originally posted by Muukalainen View Post
                        I've had difficulty finding any comment at all about Sweden's approach, at least via the media. The government's opinion can perhaps best be judged by the fact that we're adopting a very different approach, ours being the common line of restricting movement. Privately, opinions vary from "plain stupidity" to "they're running a hell of a risk", though my social circle isn't exactly wide at the moment. I certainly don't know of anyone who agrees with it or thinks it's a risk worth taking.

We've been incredibly lucky in Pohjois-Pohjanmaa with the outbreak so far, with just 58 confirmed cases, 3 in hospital (2 of those in ICU) and a single death. I trust that this situation won't lead to a sense of complacency, and that people continue to take their individual responsibilities seriously. The evidence from elsewhere is very clear as to what can happen to us too.
                        It seems that it is going to be very heterogeneous as well, both geographically and socially. Stockholm is going to be bad. You can wash your hands all you want and avoid people, but people in Stockholm who still have to go to work have to get on the metro with everyone else. And the news I am hearing is that Somali-Swedes are very overrepresented in Stockholm ICU. Many Somali-Swedes are taxi drivers. It's all very well for the Swedish government to tell the people to be careful and to constantly issue advice to the people. Many people can follow that advice. Many people can work from home. Others can't.

I also see that the supermarket cashiers here continue to work without any additional measures. No customer limitations, no distancing no perspex shielding has been introduced for the workers. Hell, even the contactless payment terminals still require us to press OK on the terminal.

Comment

As featured by the original Colorado Rockies of the NHL (now the New Jersey Devils)

Comment

Ooh, these thread crossovers are very meta.

Comment

Toby Young proposes a cull of the elderly to keep the economy going:

https://twitter.com/toadmeister/status/1244940563629182976

Comment

One day he might be an old person. I hope by the time he does society has moved on from viewing old people as expendable.

Comment

The unspoken assumption in all of this is that their privilege and resources will enable them and their elders to survive and thrive, and that the "real" threat is from measures that reduce their income and the value of their assets.

Comment

Latest UK daily death total 393, big leap after two day on day declines.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                                      13 more deaths in Scotland, 6 in NI and 7 in Wales.
                                      367 more in England.

Crikey.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                        Tennessee
                                        Ah, a proper designer, years before his rightful time.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                                          Latest UK daily death total 393, big leap after two day on day declines.

There was something on Newsnight last night about how the ONS were proposing changes to the compilation methodology and how deaths in care homes where COVID-19 was presumed to have been a factor hadn't been included in the statistics up until now. Possibly explains the jump.

Comment

Originally posted by Muukalainen View Post

This was the Beeb's take a couple of days ago: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52076293

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                              For anyone perplexed by the US state flag hijack

Back to vexillology.

I was watching an Aerial America programme on the Smithsonian channel a few days ago which explained the bear and the "California Republic" legend on the state flag.

The Maryland flag appeared in Philomena, which I also saw recently, a magnificent design seemingly dating from the Battle of Crecy.

Comment

Maryland caught my eye; it almost looks like Bridget Riley might have designed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

There was something on Newsnight last night about how the ONS were proposing changes to the compilation methodology and how deaths in care homes where COVID-19 was presumed to have been a factor hadn't been included in the statistics up until now. Possibly explains the jump.
                                                  Today's stats don't include them - the careful wording in the announcement is "1,789 of those hospitalised in the UK have sadly died"

Edit - having said that, the same announcement mentions 381 so maybe the 393 quoted elsewhere includes non-hospital cases (though still doesn't explain the leap of course).

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                                    No, all the new deaths were hospitalised cases, the community cases haven't been added yet.

Edit: as WFD just said

Comment

Working...
                                                    X