Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
    While they do still cater to the woo and crystal market, our local H&B mostly seems to sell industrial size tubs of protein powder to gym bunnies.
    Heh. If they keep taking that and not being allowed into the gym there are going to be a lot of chubby ex Johnny Bravos out there come the Autumn.

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post

You are not serious are you?

H&B sell alot of minerals and vitamins as well as other stuff that are good for your health and well being?
      There's not great evidence that supplements do any good with the exception of B and D vitamins which you can get from going outside and eating some bran flakes.
      Besides vitamins etc. can be bought at real pharmacies and supermarkets.
      There's a reason H&B's motto is "stultus et eorum pecuniam sunt, mox dividitur" and it's something do with their £50 jars of honey.

Comment

My bank picked the perfect time to completely fuck up my internet banking access with new passwords and forcing you to remember usernames you haven't used for a decade and having a 30 minute wait on the "help" line. Cunts, all I want to do is pay my fucking credit card bill.

Come the end of this crisis I am telling them where to go, and I've been with them since University, so that's a 20 odd year customer they've pissed off.

Comment

Originally posted by Eggchaser View Post
          My bank picked the perfect time to completely fuck up my internet banking access with new passwords and forcing you to remember usernames you haven't used for a decade and having a 30 minute wait on the "help" line. Cunts, all I want to do is pay my fucking credit card bill.

Come the end of this crisis I am telling them where to go, and I've been with them since University, so that's a 20 odd year customer they've pissed off.
          No forgot my password/user name link with code sent to mobile phone for verification?

Comment

No, the old log in is gone, forced to download the banking app, which you then need to register to use with a number that is as well remembered as Trump's recollection of his pronouncements of the day before.

Comment

This in the mindset that had my bank tell me that they were concerned that my signature no longer matched the one used to open the account

In 1971

Comment

There will be a lot of African Americans in November trying to postal vote and being told their signatures don't match (or some other disfranchising bollocks).

Comment

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1242543105968148481

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post
                    So we were key workers Monday, non-essential today and back to being key tomorrow.

Now we're told that to maintain consistency we have to go in which means we'll be wielding paint brushes and pressure washing for the next few weeks. I'm not sure it's what the government has is mind as essential.
                    This is the same issue as my workplace. Key workers being told to go in to do filing, stock taking and cleaning. Nothing essential or urgent that is relevant to the current crisis, and there were six staff there today all in close proximity. It's all work that can easily wait (the cleaning is pretty much done I believe).

Thankfully I am at home (travel and health reasons) but I do worry about repercussions and feel very guilty that I am not there. That is until I see the latest death tolls which then make the work concerns seem somewhat trivial.

Comment

2,088 deaths so far globally today. Killing more people daily now than malaria.

Comment

Originally posted by Arturo View Post

This is the same issue as my workplace. Key workers being told to go in to do filing, stock taking and cleaning. Nothing essential or urgent that is relevant to the current crisis, and there were six staff there today all in close proximity. It's all work that can easily wait (the cleaning is pretty much done I believe).

Thankfully I am at home (travel and health reasons) but I do worry about repercussions and feel very guilty that I am not there. That is until I see the latest death tolls which then make the work concerns seem somewhat trivial.
                        are you in a Union Arturo and are your colleagues

Because if the governement is texting the entire country telling them to stay at home then legally it's quite hard for an employer to insist your colleagues should come to work

https://twitter.com/ShellyAsquith/status/1242429542029017089?s=20

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post

I got that - I've just never heard them called heels before.

Nobbys, bum bits, end bits, crust - all that I've heard and used in my 35 and half years.
                          We called them the 'outsiders' (unwittingly invoking a whole world of Camuvian and Dostoevskian alienation and despair in an edible setting); the outsiders of a Scottish style plain loaf were the best thing in the whole world when I was 8. Crusts an inch thick. I still salivate mildly at the thought of them.

For the ignorant - Scottish plain bread is taller than a pan loaf and features a browner, crustier crust at the top and bottom. Oddly (and this is something I've only just realised) the exterior of the terminal pieces were not browned all over in the manner of your traditional pan loaf - they were just thicker, intriguingly rough on the outer face and featured larger crusts. Here's a representative sample, showing the outsider in all its glory.

​​​​​​

Comment

Ireland finally launches a digital dashboard for the daily updating of national data.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post

There's not great evidence that supplements do any good with the exception of B and D vitamins which you can get from going outside and eating some bran flakes.
                              There's a reason H&B's motto is "stultus et eorum pecuniam sunt, mox dividitur" and it's something do with their £50 jars of honey.
                              Supplements are just a recipe for expensive urine. Anyone who eats potatoes need never take a vitamin C pill.

Comment

vitamin D supplements are necessary. you cant in the Uk in winter get enough by going outside.

those with dark skin need it more.

Comment

Definitely called the heel of the bread in my family

Comment

Back in the day when we used to get warm bread delivered to the house, we children used to fight over who had the crusts. Warm crusts with butter is something that I'd love to experience once more.

Comment

Crusts when I was growing up. Missus calls them heels which means we confuse each other from time to time.

Comment

Disturbing letter from a reader to TPM:

I wanted to write in with a different perspective than the one I’m seeing take hold among progressives. I work in oil and gas (yes; yes; I know. I’m sorry) and, as such, I interact with conservatives all the time. It’s interesting watching the conservative id coalesce as it does.

Initially, they have some diversity of opinion as new facts come to light and then they all eventually fall in line behind the command and control structure that is the conservative mind meld.

In the beginning, I saw a lot of what I think most people assumed was mainline conservative thinking: that the virus wasn’t a big deal; that it was just another H1N1 and we should just ignore it.

But, there was a second group that more closely aligned with this new Trump/Dan Patrick thinking. The comments I heard went something like this, “This is going to sound bad, but 2% really isn’t that many people and it’s mostly old people anyway. They’ve lived a good life. Overpopulation is a major problem and it will also help with social security.”

I’m writing in because I fear we are treating this as a more fringe idea than it actually is. I don’t think this is Trump reacting to his properties being forced to close or to a Fox News segment he saw. I think this has serious legs. …

It’s part Ebeenezer Scrooge morality; part inability/unwillingness to comprehend the scope of horror coronavirus is capable of inflicting on us. Of course, implicit in their thinking is that it won’t affect them.

We must be clear-eyed about what we’re up against. These people absolutely do not give a shit if 2.2 million people die. And they lack the imagination to understand what exceeding our hospital bed capacity by 30X looks like.

I really don’t think this is Trump sending out a trial balloon by himself. This is mainline Republican thinking and we should act accordingly.

Comment

Heh. If they keep taking that and not being allowed into the gym there are going to be a lot of chubby ex Johnny Bravos out there come the Autumn.
                                          Well alot of the people who burn through those large tubs of protein are on steroids.

I feel sorry for the friends, partners, pets of those who started a course of steroids only for their gym to shut down.

Comment

Good point, maybe I'll hold back on that. I don't want to take my kids anywhere near a hospital for the next six months if I can help it.
                                            As long as you buy a sensible (i.e. expensive) one they should escape injury. My spawn have been happil bouncing for about 8 years without any maimings (that said, their cousin managed to hurt himself on it almost immediately because he decided to descent the step ladder facing outwards rather than in and inevitably slipped ... but he is a complete tool, as his own father admits).

Criteria for a good tramp:

- Netting
                                            - Poles that support the netting are bent, so there is more give and they won't bang into poles
                                            - springs covered

Good tramp: https://www.jumpflex.co.nz/products/...RoCG5YQAvD_BwE

Deathtrap: https://www.fitness.co.nz/media/cata...poline_1_2.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Lurgee View Post

We called them the 'outsiders' (unwittingly invoking a whole world of Camuvian and Dostoevskian alienation and despair in an edible setting); the outsiders of a Scottish style plain loaf were the best thing in the whole world when I was 8. Crusts an inch thick. I still salivate mildly at the thought of them.

For the ignorant - Scottish plain bread is taller than a pan loaf and features a browner, crustier crust at the top and bottom. Oddly (and this is something I've only just realised) the exterior of the terminal pieces were not browned all over in the manner of your traditional pan loaf - they were just thicker, intriguingly rough on the outer face and featured larger crusts. Here's a representative sample, showing the outsider in all its glory.

​​​​​​
                                              Scottish plain is a massive batch bread. Several loaves baked in one pan so they merge and then get cut out. hence no heel/heal.

Comment

You know many of the vitamins in those Bran flakes are "fortified" and not naturally occurring....

I get some of my supplements from there (Glucomimine etc) as well as nuts, seeds etc that do not have wierd unexplained additives that I put in my smoothies. 35 years playing contact sport means my body has broken down physically and i do occasionally shop there.although I usually get stuff cheaper online (seven hills wholefoods is good).
                                                H&B tend to be cheaper than Pharmacies and have a greater range of products than even supermarkets(plus you get served much much quicker)
                                                Last edited by Tactical Genius; 24-03-2020, 22:16.

Comment

There's a theory doing the rounds on Trump saying "Everyone wants to go back to normal" is that he simply doesn't want to be associated with either the disease or the lockdowns but does want to be associated with the recovery. If he keeps his hands out of all the preventative measures, he thinks he won't get any blame. But because he's calling for early roll-back he wants to get the credit for the feel-good of the roll-back.

The trouble with his reasoning is that some states run by complete idiots appear to be taking him at his word. Most particularly Ron de Santis in Florida. Florida has still not had any proper stay-at-home orders that I've seen yet. I fear that Florida (and perhaps Texas and the gulf coast in general) are going to be grim illustrations of the stupidity of Trump's approach, even if the disease is in retreat in California and New York by the time that Trump's Easter deadline comes around.

Comment

Conservatives mutterring about coalition government now, presumably wanting to smear Labour with the disaster instead of owning it themselves.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X