No announcement yet.

Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A routine blood-test revealed a severe vitamin D deficiency in my case, still taking supplements after finishing the booster course I was prescribed...

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post
      Without wanting to give him too much attention, I think the response to these kind of nonsense arguments is to ask which of his relatives he'd like to see die in order to get the economy going again. The sad thing with Toby is he probably does have such a list.

Comment

As probably do his relatives...

Comment

My response to young Toby might be that if he believes that a life is worth 30 grand a year, can we defund other things as also being inefficient. For example, should we fund anti-terrorism operations at the rate of the average annual death toll over the last decade from terrorism, multiplied by 30 grand - so a little under 2 million quid per annum?

Comment

If you put mushrooms in sunlight for a few hours they produce vitamin D apparently. Mrs Thistle has told me that. I've not fact checked my source.

Comment

So, um, the talk of netipot and the story about Ischgl, which mentions St. Anton in dispatches, has pricked my memory that I tried to use a nasal antiviral defender to ward off a cold for the first time ever a little under three months ago. Unsuccessfully, as the bug developed anyway and I ended up needing to take a few days off work. Everyone else in my (small) party also came down with whatever this was a few days after me. And my parents, for that matter. It took my Dad (in his 70s, diabetic) several weeks to clear it. He felt really, really rough. There were jokes about Typhoid Janik going around my family.
              I began to feel like something was coming on on the final day of a skiing holiday. In the Austrian Tyrol. In early-to-mid January. Not in Ischgl, but in St. Anton...
              Whilst feeling under the weather on my drive home from Gatwick, I stopped at Brent Cross shopping centre to buy that nasal antiviral defender. Made a special detour to include that, in fact (the M25 would be my more normal route). NW London was one the first places where it started to show up in the UK, wasn't it?

Er, I may already have had this. If so, my infection would pre-date what is currently thought to be the index case in Britain by a handful of days.

Now I would love to get an antibody test! But absent that, I have to tell myself that ski resorts are manna from heaven for all viruses. All sorts of things are being spread around those places.

Comment

The anti-viral netipot thing is possibly a bit of an urban legend. OTOH if it doesn't cure, it may prevent (in some cases.) It's a bit like taking Vitamin C in that sense. The first ten years of teaching I could more or less count on one really bad cold every Winter. Then I started with the netipot, and drinking four litres of grapefruit juice a week. No colds after that. Could be a coincidence but I'm not about to stop doing either to find out... particularly now.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                  Algeria, Estonia, Egypt, Qatar, UAE, Ukraine and Hong Kong now have more than 800 cases. Hong Kong has been a very slow burner, but the others are all quite concerning.
                  New Zealand still lagging behind, with 797 cases (confirmed and probable). ONE death so far.

While I think the government may have been a week too slow in declaring the shut down, they've otherwise gone about their response with exemplary thoroughness (for a limpwristed Westernised democracy, at any rate.) While it must be Hellish in the hospitals, it's probably the sort of hellishness that can be managed and sustained.

Comment

Originally posted by Lurgee View Post

New Zealand still lagging behind, with 797 cases (confirmed and probable). ONE death so far.

While I think the government may have been a week too slow in declaring the shut down, they've otherwise gone about their response with exemplary thoroughness (for a limpwristed Westernised democracy, at any rate.) While it must be Hellish in the hospitals, it's probably the sort of hellishness that can be managed and sustained.
                    Geographic remoteness must also help in keeping down transmissions.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post

Geographic remoteness must also help in keeping down transmissions.
                      And having a country that is literally divided in two.

While Jacinda Ardern is perceived as having a pretty good crisis it is notable that the Covid clusters that have been identified are associated with events that took place in the governments thumb-twiddling week between Covid 19 being identified and the shut down - a wedding, a school, a farming show.

Comment

Bloody hell! France reported 1,355 new deaths today!

I hope to God that's due to a readjustment of their statistics and not actually just the death toll in the last 24 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                          Bloody hell! France reported 1,355 new deaths today!

I hope to God that's due to a readjustment of their statistics and not actually just the death toll in the last 24 hours.
                          Yes, I believe they only added nursing home deaths to their official stats today.

Comment

It is a readjustment. According to the Wiki page, they've suddenly included 884 deaths in old people's homes ("EHPADs") previously omitted. So the like for like daily additional deaths are a bit under 500.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_c...emic_in_France

Edit: see the footnote i. to the coloured bar chart on that page.

Comment

Some Americans might have to wait 5 months for their $1200 cheques.

Comment

Many thanks to ursus btw for posting the full text of that Spiegel piece on Ischgl. Truly appalling stuff, hope some of the owners (and top officials) get appropriate personal consequences from their actions.

Comment

In some ways, it is a classic case of regulatory capture. When seemingly everyone involved in making public health decisions has a very significant personal and family investment at stake, the outcome tends to be predetermined. And the purely commercial relationship between the local owners in Ischgl and the alcohol-fueled punters doesn't help. I like to think that the family that ran the medium-sized hotel we stayed at every winter in Bormio and who always greeted us by name, would have acted differently (in fact all the Lombard resorts closed very early in the crisis).

On the question of numbers, there is some interesting work being done that compares deaths (from all causes) in a given region to the local average over the same portion of the year for the last five or ten years. In Italy and Spain, the overall number of deaths is up by considerably more than just those attributed to the virus, even before one considers the fact that traffic and general levels of mayhem appear to be down.

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post
                                    That's a couple of days old (I think someone put it on this thread) and Young posted it the day a 13 year old died of Coronavirus. You would hope that would that make Young assess what an absolute cunt he is with his "controversial" opinions he espouses for money and clicks but I doubt it.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                      In some ways, it is a classic case of regulatory capture. When seemingly everyone involved in making public health decisions has a very significant personal and family investment at stake, the outcome tends to be predetermined. And the purely commercial relationship between the local owners in Ischgl and the alcohol-fueled punters doesn't help. I like to think that the family that ran the medium-sized hotel we stayed at every winter in Bormio and who always greeted us by name, would have acted differently (in fact all the Lombard resorts closed very early in the crisis).

On the question of numbers, there is some interesting work being done that compares deaths (from all causes) in a given region to the local average over the same portion of the year for the last five or ten years. In Italy and Spain, the overall number of deaths is up by considerably more than just those attributed to the virus, even before one considers the fact that traffic and general levels of mayhem appear to be down.
                                      Long term stats are here

https://www.euromomo.eu/outputs/zsco...try_total.html

Warning, their graphs will damage your eyes

Comment

On second thoughts, no, what I had can't have been this. The current index case is someone epidemiologists worked back to based on geography. Whilst I definitely infected family and friends with whatever I had, our home locations were not particularly the first areas to show a concentration. Earlier rather than later in most cases, but definitely not right at the vanguard.

Hmm. OK. Paranoia is a bitch, isn't it.

Comment

“They would have died anyway”

[URL="https://twitter.com/ejhchess/status/1245824392967397377?s=21"]https://twitter.com/ejhchess/status/...967397377?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                            Amity Island wants its mayor back.

Comment

I recall excess deaths being used quite a lot during the Iraq war.

Comment

https://twitter.com/martylyricfm/status/1245835684537085953

Comment

I was not expecting to be facing this sort of thing in snuggly socks and a dressing gown, thousands of miles from home, trying not to panic and craving a proper cup of tea. This apocalypse is less Danny Boyle and more Douglas Adams.

That's the best line from this piece, but the content about how catastrophist fantastists always got it wrong and that apocalypse is not ending up with macho arseholes physically fighting to protect our womenfolk is great.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                                    The anti-viral netipot thing is possibly a bit of an urban legend. OTOH if it doesn't cure, it may prevent (in some cases.) It's a bit like taking Vitamin C in that sense. The first ten years of teaching I could more or less count on one really bad cold every Winter. Then I started with the netipot, and drinking four litres of grapefruit juice a week. No colds after that. Could be a coincidence but I'm not about to stop doing either to find out... particularly now.
                                                    I snort sterimar. Doubt it does any good though.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X