Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    Sporting, do Spaniards do double ceremonies? Or are most weddings in the Church?
    Some stats here:

https://www.coinc.es/blog/noticia/bodas-ano-espana

And in English:

https://english.elpais.com/elpais/20...tistics%20show
    Last edited by Sporting; 02-07-2021, 05:13.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post

!!!

...a party for their own benefit

“There is a basic norm that stipulates that if one goes to a wedding, regardless of their relationship to the bride or groom, the minimum they must give is €150,” says Moreno. If you are going with your family, Moreno says you should calculate €100 for each child. “The correct thing to do in this case is not to give less than €500 – €150 for each adult and €100 for each child,” she says. This way you cover the cost per head and leave the couple with enough for a present.
      If you are a close family member or best friend but cannot go to the wedding

Even if you are not going to your brother’s or best friend’s wedding you are still expected to give a gift. “The minimum you should give is the cost of the cover. In no case should you give less than €100,”

https://english.elpais.com/elpais/20...30_457242.html

Comment

That's a remarkable drop in Church weddings over the last 15 years

The split being between "Civil" and "Catholic" also looks very weird from a US perspective, but is understandable in Spain.

Comment

I wonder if the same drop has also occurred in Italy or Portugal.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
            That's a remarkable drop in Church weddings over the last 15 years

The split being between "Civil" and "Catholic" also looks very weird from a US perspective, but is understandable in Spain.
            And a not insignificant number of those church weddings will have been due to family and social pressure and not because of religious conviction. The sense that church settings may provide a more suitable day out for whatever reasons could also have an influence.
            Last edited by Sporting; 02-07-2021, 06:24.

Comment

At least among our rather bourgeois circle in Milano, having two ceremonies on different days was quite common.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

Yes, it doesn't work entirely. I applied for mine this afternoon, and found out that Romania hasn't yet worked out how to issue the e-cert to foreigners (even though I have a residency code and had my vaccinations here)
                Ok, now it works, and I am the proud possessor of a European Vaccination Passport. I'm not sure what I can do with it, but that's by the by

Comment

If it were down to me, literally every indoor public space and business would require you to have it (or a clear medical exemption to vaccination) to come indoors... Sadly that's not going to happen.

Comment

Latest ONS statistics for the UK: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57694918

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

Ok, now it works, and I am the proud possessor of a European Vaccination Passport. I'm not sure what I can do with it, but that's by the by
                      Is there a lot of vaccine scepticism in Romania, ad hoc ? Apparently, you're selling us one million doses between Pfizer and Moderna, which would fully inoculate a further 12% of our adult population:

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1410962976920768515

Comment

Scepticism, fatalism, ignorance, you name it we have it

Comment

The UK reported more new cases of Covid-19 yesterday than any country in the world apart from Brazil, India and Colombia.

Comment

The child in my son's class who had a positive lateral flow test then got a negative PCR result, so the whole class went back in yesterday morning. From a personal perspective, this is a huge relief as it would have been very hard to juggle having him at home next week with the work schedules that me and my husband happen to have over those days, but it does make me question the reliability of the lateral flow tests. I thought they were quite likely to give a false negative but less likely to give a false positive?

Comment

The FDA said those tests ought to be destroyed, and gave risk of both false negatives *and* false positives as reasons for this.

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/...-communication

Comment

More and more stories about increasing hospital admissions in the UK starting to do the rounds on twitter. It's the foothills yet, but we know how these things work by now.

Comment

Most schools in England have two weeks left, I think that's one point they want to reach. The thought of opening everything up after that fills me with fear of I'm honest. We know that many people in this country are selfish and irresponsible so given the slightest opportunity they'll be taking off masks and not social distancing at all.

Comment

Yeah, I was chatting to a younger colleague this week who told me she'd taken a week off work for the Euros and gone to every single pub in a two mile radius of her London flat to drink and watch football. It's hard to judge because I'm in a very different life stage and I'd probably be climbing the walls at this point if I was younger and single and had endured the last eighteen months, but it did alarm me a little.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                                      Most schools in England have two weeks left, I think that's one point they want to reach. The thought of opening everything up after that fills me with fear of I'm honest. We know that many people in this country are selfish and irresponsible so given the slightest opportunity they'll be taking off masks and not social distancing at all.
                                      The trouble is it will no longer be presented as selfish and irresponsible to do precisely that. So even responsible people (still by far the majority in my experience, and judging by polls) will feel it's ok to do so. Frightening...

Comment

Exactly that, however when have people started to do what the state wants them to do. All very selective I'm afraid.

Comment

Seeing the pictures of the "hill" at Wimbledon and there was obviously no social distancing going on. I guess people think sitting right next to a random stranger for a few hours is fine because it's outside. And besides they're all middle class, not like those football hoodlums.

Also, I just read about fungal infections in hospitalised Covid patients and that's another horrible facet of this illness.

Comment

https://twitter.com/trishgreenhalgh/status/1411239537242689537

Comment

Now almost half of all Irish adults fully vaccinated - so gradually catching up with the UK on that metric, but still lagging on first jabs:

https://twitter.com/paulreiddublin/status/1411235797756416005

Comment

It's the full vaccination rate that really matters - delta seems to have scant regard for single jabs. Hence Johnson claiming the UK had overtaken Israel recently was disingenuous. Only true for first jabs, and still a fair bit behind on full vaccinations.

Comment

Indonesia is currently in its worst phase of the Covid pandemic so far. Nearly 28,000 new cases and nearly 500 deaths reported yesterday. Just exceeded 60,000 deaths in total.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                                                    Indonesia is currently in its worst phase of the Covid pandemic so far. Nearly 28,000 new cases and nearly 500 deaths reported yesterday. Just exceeded 60,000 deaths in total.
                                                    Only 11% of the population have even received their first injection so far, which highlights the North-South divide in the Covid trajectory.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X