Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Dis-United Kingdom Thread - (Indyref 2, United Ireland poll, Welsh independence)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://twitter.com/alexmassie/status/1328648865747251201

this, from the last sentient Tory journalist in Scotland explains pretty well why Johnson was talking pish.

Comment

Originally posted by Foot of Astaire's View Post

Those of us in Northern England and probably everyone outside of the M25, can cry in our beers about being ignored by Westminster. We're paying for HS2 too
      There's a Northern Independence Party. Go for it.

Comment

The Welsh first minister, Mark Drakeford, was also highly critical of the comments. He said: “Devolution comes under the sorts of pressures that it is now under when we have a Conservative government, and where you scratch the surface of the Conservative party and all its old hostility to devolution rises back to the surface."

“That’s what happened yesterday, when the prime minister thought that he could show off in front of a few Conservative MPs from the north of England.”
        https://www.theguardian.com/politics...marks-shocking

Eventually Mark will wake up and realise the Union is being sunk from the Unionist side

Comment

Plaid Cymru are getting fighty

https://twitter.com/RhunapIorwerth/status/1328450857998962691?s=20

Comment

And more

https://twitter.com/Adamprice/status/1328440825244684295?s=20

Comment

There's hope for Welsh Labour, aye.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...marks-shocking

Eventually Mark will wake up and realise the Union is being sunk from the Unionist side
                i do sort of wonder if the Tory turn against devolution is partly an attempt to break the stranglehold of Labour in the Senedd. In that, if they can engineer a Scotland-style polarisation of the Welsh electorate they can split Labour's coalition down the middle and become the defacto unionist choice.

It's probably not, like it's far more likely that it's an attempt to find other scapegoats for the multiple crises gripping the UK which are largely of the Westminster Tories' own making but it'd be nice to think they gave us a thought now and again, wouldn't it?

Comment

In a further boost for both the SNP and Yes Cymru:

https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1328766474757005312

Comment

I think it's optimistic to think there's a political strategy like that. For me the current turn is a) because fascism always centralises power, b) the unalloyed corruption in this government makes them want to get their hands on as much power and money as possible, and c) there's a sneering arrogance towards anyone outside their elite circle. The proles just exist to be exploited with simplistic slogans on the sides of buses and the provinces are there to be ruled.

Comment

I thought the "Union Unit' launched yonks ago, under the tutelage of fish cunt Gove.

Comment

"committee of Tory MPs". Yes, that will work.
                        Last edited by S. aureus; 18-11-2020, 00:33.

Comment

To think I thought there'd never be an indy Scotland in my lifetime. God bless Good Old Boris.

Comment

Well, a conservative union task force that's not intent on breaking them? Now I've seen everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                              I thought the "Union Unit' launched yonks ago, under the tutelage of fish cunt Gove.
                              https://twitter.com/pmdfoster/status/1328969489992593409?s=20

Comment

So they're on their fourth attempt to set up a committee. Competent bunch aren't they.

Comment

I genuinely cannot understand anyone who wants to shackle themselves to this decaying corpse of a country. Absolutely mind-boggling.

Comment

They are mostly over 65 now in Scotland, so being generous I'd say they can't imagine things other than they are.

Comment

Is that stats or hyperbole, LS? Like, are actually more than half anti-independence types over 65?

Comment

Actually that is hyperbole and me being innumerate. But over 65s are now the only demographic to be majority against Indy.

Comment

Aha. That makes sense, ta.

Comment

Wales as a whole skews older than the rest of the UK, but from what I've seen "Welsh and British" types seem much more in Mark Drakeford's generation (he's 66) than in mine, or in the generation currently in their 20s.

Comment

Aye, older people are more likely to be small c conservative. But as well as that, in NI at least anyone older than me (58) can remember our peaceful early childhood replaced by 30 years of paramilitarism. Just possibly they're at least as capable as pre pensioners in Kirkcaldy or Llanfair PG of reacting to changed circumstances...

Comment

59% of Welsh would vote for devo max.

Comment

There was also large support for devo-max from younger respondents with 82% of respondents aged 18-24 who had a view saying they would vote for Wales to have more powers.

The votes by age group were:
                                                  • 18-24 – 82% yes
                                                  • 25-49 – 73% yes
                                                  • 50-64 – 51% yes
                                                  • 65+ – 43% yes

And by regions
                                                  • Cardiff and South Central – 64% yes
                                                  • South East – 63% yes
                                                  • Mid and West – 61% yes
                                                  • North – 53% yes
                                                  • South West – 52% yes
                                                  The regional breakdown is weird. I'm not sure whether the North trailing is because the Senedd is seen as a Cardiff thing or if they said no to devo max because they want full independence. Or if it's just because they have more old people.

Comment

Depends which part of the north...

Comment

Working...
                                                    X