No announcement yet.

Someone Has To Do It: US Elections 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm curious about the procedural aspects of this. It sounds like the original relief was analogous to an interim injunction to "hold the ring", as they say here, pending a full hearing. If so, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense for an automatic stay to be triggered simply by appealing the decision. After all, the injunction should only be granted in the first place if there is likely to be irreparable harm to the applicant otherwise. I've seen people apply for such injunctions to be stayed pending appeal, but an automatic one seems dangerous.
    Last edited by Ginger Yellow; 26-11-2020, 15:28.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
      Some details on what is actually happening with the Pennsylvania suit.
      Republicans did very well in almost every race except President and State AG. This couldn’t help them anyway.

Comment

GY, I had a similar question and believe that the lower court order was something less than a temporary injunction granted upon a showing of irreparable harm.

HP, quite. It is completely performative. There is at least one county where the Republican canvassers voted against certifying the results notwithstanding the fact that Trump won the county by 20,000 votes and Republicans won all of the down ballot races. The results were certified anyway because the Democrats had a majority of the panel.

Comment

Does anyone know who the reporter is who challenges Trump on his lies about election observers in the middle of this clip and then asks as he walks out "Is this the language of a dictator?" and "Aren't you denying reality" - I think it's the same person on every occasion :

WARNING - THE FOOTAGE HAS FLASHING LIGHTS ON IT FOR SOME REASON THAT MIGHT DISTURB SOME PEOPLE :

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1332097525273255938?s=21

I wonder if this, from earlier in the rant is aimed at the same person :

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1332100157501018113?s=21

Comment

The second comment was directed at Jeff Mason.

The first reporter could have been Kaitlan Collins but that's just a guess.

Comment

Ah thank, from a quick scan of Twitter it looks like you're right about Collins too.

There is a longer, clearer video of his "deranged" rant here without the blue flashes.

This defeat is eating away at him and it's delightful to see, may it haunt him him until his death bed.

Comment

Has anyone, with a stronger stomach than mine, studied his body language sufficiently to determine whether there's any kind of 'tell' when he's lying? Or does it happen so frequently it'd be impossible to know?

Comment

His lips move every time

Comment

Very good!

Comment

A bit more seriously, I think that he honestly doesn't know what is objectively true most of the time.

He has spent his entire life in an ersatz world constructed and curated to indulge his deranged fantasies.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                        where did they find these lindy hop sex murderers? Is that look big in australia?

Comment

On what is known locally as Sky After Dark, yes. It is a parade of nutcases, loons and people barely through puberty. The viewing figures are in five and sometimes four figures.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                            Has anyone, with a stronger stomach than mine, studied his body language sufficiently to determine whether there's any kind of 'tell' when he's lying? Or does it happen so frequently it'd be impossible to know?
                            One tell is when he says "people don't know what that is" (poll watchers) it means he just learned what it is at age 74.

Comment

Also, what's up with the presidential table?

Washington smirking down on him.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                Ah thank, from a quick scan of Twitter it looks like you're right about Collins too.

There is a longer, clearer video of his "deranged" rant here without the blue flashes.

This defeat is eating away at him and it's delightful to see, may it haunt him him until his death bed.
                                I think I speak for all here present when I say, " Good."

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                  One constant throughout his term of office has been "A lot of people say..." or "I read somewhere..." which always preface his most outrageous, self-aggrandising, made up on the spot lies.
                                  Last edited by Ray de Galles; 27-11-2020, 12:50.

Comment

"People phone me and they say 'Sir/Mr President, help us....' " is another one. All these naifs running wide-eyed for his expertise and leadership.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                      A bit more seriously, I think that he honestly doesn't know what is objectively true most of the time.
                                      This is part of the problem. It's the same mentality as conspiracy theorists and people who assert opinions as facts. He doesn't know what it actually true and so if he says something it must be true because he said it. That's where the phrase alternative facts comes from. It's a case of not recognising that other people have access to different information or that objective information exists that is discoverable by anyone. Because he doesn't have the ability to test whether something is true or not, he assumes everyone else's facts are equally subjective. So he can't understand why people don't believe his obvious lies - from his perspective his facts are as good as anyone else's. Because he doesn't know how facts work.

Comment

My favorite is the leap from single old lady anecdote to "tens of thousands" of identical cases. Do his cult fans think even for a second about how that would work?

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                          "People phone me and they say 'Sir/Mr President, help us....' " is another one. All these naifs running wide-eyed for his expertise and leadership.
                                          In fairness, that's a great one for politicians in Ireland as well " My constituency office has been inundated with calls about this " . It's a great bullshit quote to prove how important I am.

Comment

Mayor Rob Ford was touted....legendary.....for being a big asshole, but 'always returns his constituents' phone calls personally'. This was a fact....taken as fact....repeated as fact. Thing is, the only person who ever said it was him. It just became gospel because he said it so often. Nobody he ever 'called back' has ever come forward that I know of.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                              Mayor Rob Ford was touted....legendary.....for being a big asshole, but 'always returns his constituents' phone calls personally'. This was a fact....taken as fact....repeated as fact. Thing is, the only person who ever said it was him. It just became gospel because he said it so often. Nobody he ever 'called back' has ever come forward that I know of.
                                              Rob ford is a legend.
                                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMIQWRsYxak

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno View Post
                                                Also, what's up with the presidential table?

Washington smirking down on him.
                                                This is pure 'Stonehenge.' Hilarious

Comment

I'm getting a strong parents'-evening-for-kids-in-primary-school vibe.

Comment

https://twitter.com/steve_vladeck/status/1332376449207201792

Comment

Working...
                                                    X