No announcement yet.

Someone Has To Do It: US Elections 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To answer my own question, I guess it's hard to imagine anyone accepting the offer. The potential downsides seem bad.

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/arguendope/status/1235952114083430400?s=21[/URL]

Comment

That's amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno View Post

This seems a bit simplistic. Reportedly, a lot of poor Rust Belt whites who had voted for Obama turned and voted for Trump, presumably because they were looking for the next maverick to "drain the swamp" and fix shit that wasn't getting fixed. They weren't and aren't drowning in free stuff, they're unemployed and overdosing in huge numbers on heroin. And the more rural they are, the less they live around enough black people to make pining for Jim Crow a present concern. None of that is to discount the reality of racist Trump supporters.
          Yes, I was being a bit simplistic as you rightly say but it is the same sentiment, Obama would go to Washington, get money off the fat cats and give it to them as well as subsidising the reopening of the rest-belt industries.

They voted trump so he could bring back Jim crow in the workplace by removing all the Hispanics and blacks from the job market and threatening the multinationals through sanctions to bring all the rust-belt industries back.

Same thing, different methods.

People can judge away but I would've liked to see any Democrat do better against the same opponents.
          Regardless what you thought of Obama's policies, he did have some and as as that, he was engaging and did have a personality.

Hillary had too much baggage and few liked her on a personal level (even before Bill became president).

As for Warren, it doesn't help that she has a resting vex look on her face and every attempt to come across as warm and human looked fake and staged (sharing a beer with her husband, the fake Barber shop)

Comment

I like the rumours that Trump is going to dump Pence for Nikki Haley in the fall, and that he made Pence Covid-guru to set him up to fail.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
              I like the rumours that Trump is going to dump Pence for Nikki Haley in the fall, and that he made Pence Covid-guru to set him up to fail.
              Could that be for Pence to get some distance before running in 2024, similar to Clinton leaving the Obama administration (and North Africa/ Middle-East burning) in 2012.

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post
                They voted trump so he could bring back Jim crow in the workplace by removing all the Hispanics and blacks from the job market and threatening the multinationals through sanctions to bring all the rust-belt industries back.

Same thing, different methods.
                I'm thinking about factory closures here, not factories overstaffed with minorities.

As for Warren, it doesn't help that she has a resting vex look on her face and every attempt to come across as warm and human looked fake and staged (sharing a beer with her husband, the fake Barber shop)
                Hmm. Same charge was leveled at Hillary of course. Everyone's entitled to their impression, but I wouldn't say that gauging authenticity is an American forte.

Comment

And the more rural they are, the less they live around enough black people to make pining for Jim Crow a present concern. None of that is to discount the reality of racist Trump supporters.
                  A good point and a good antidote to the simplistic analysis that poor people are all Trump supporters and racist, although I think it is worth bearing in the mind the role of the media in shaping people's perception of the reality around them - 24 hours a day of Fox telling you that immigrants are flooding the country may 'trump' what you see in your local environment.

Comment

I'm thinking about factory closures here, not factories overstaffed with minorities.
                    What would be the correct number of minorities for a factory to employ?

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post

Could that be for Pence to get some distance before running in 2024, similar to Clinton leaving the Obama administration (and North Africa/ Middle-East burning) in 2012.
                      That would suggest Trump doing someone a favour. I'd lean more to the fact that he knows it's going to be an uphill battle for him, and a woman running mate will help.

Comment

I liked Ta-Nehisi Coates' essay on Trump as the First white President

Wonder how it reads now

Comment

The Haley rumours have been around for well over a year now. The Pence/Corona angle is a new twist, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post

What would be the correct number of minorities for a factory to employ?
                            Check what I wrote again, your question doesn't follow.

Comment

Bruno, this 2016 piece has some good background on "early" VP picks

https://time.com/4310237/ted-cruz-ca...ments-history/

Comment

Thanks ursus. Not for reminding me of Carly Fiorina though. What a pair! My vote for who to put in a canoe with one paddle each, giant waterfall thataway.

Comment

Originally posted by That Night In Barcelona View Post

A good point and a good antidote to the simplistic analysis that poor people are all Trump supporters and racist, although I think it is worth bearing in the mind the role of the media in shaping people's perception of the reality around them - 24 hours a day of Fox telling you that immigrants are flooding the country may 'trump' what you see in your local environment.
                                  Yes and I acknowledged that. But they can also drive around their neighborhood/town and not see any minorities, often enough (in the Rust Belt that is). These are white enclaves and *nobody* from elsewhere is looking for good-paying work in them, that being the problem.

Comment

Speaking of anti-Semitism:

Troll waves Nazi flag at Sanders rally in Phoenix

Comment

Originally posted by Freestyling buck wilding Stijn Stijnen View Post
                                      in addition to the saga of her native American claims, which I've just discovered involved deleting the results of an ancestry test that she'd initially tweeted as a sign of triumph. I didn't delve any further, but didn't she only make that claim in order to gain a prominent position at a university?
                                      Lies.

Comment

talking of which

[URL]https://twitter.com/berniesanders/status/1235696591681404929?s=21[/URL]

Comment

this is fascinating

https://twitter.com/Chronotope/status/1235980497773301761?s=20

Comment

Why hasn't Tulsi Gabbard suspended her campaign yet?

Comment

https://twitter.com/JaredDryden/status/1236024831331708929?s=20

Comment

On Gabbard

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                Her campaign is essentially her and her family and she has the time
                                                She also has virtually no leverage with which to extract some concession or benefit in return for an endorsement.

Comment

https://twitter.com/ryangrim/status/1236042455465816065?s=20

Comment

How do you report a racist waving a Nazi flag at a rally for a left wing Jewish candidate.?

a couple of takes here...

https://twitter.com/nkalamb/status/1236043959778119685?s=20

Comment

Working...
                                                    X