No announcement yet.

Who likes looking at maps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was always a matter of some dispute when I was little. Technically in England but Welsh, or summat. Until the 1974 local government reorganisation which formally planted it in Wales.

Comment

I used to have a jigsaw called "Wales and Monmouth".

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
        It was always a matter of some dispute when I was little. Technically in England but Welsh, or summat. Until the 1974 local government reorganisation which formally planted it in Wales.
        Seems to have been a real "Schr?dinger's county", with not even legislation completely definitive either way.

Comment

Truth is neither wants it.

Comment

https://twitter.com/TerribleMaps/status/1269716429487648773?s=19

Comment

1853 Japanese global map centred on the Pacific:

Comment

And a modern one:

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                  1853 Japanese global map centred on the Pacific:
                  Is this using Paris as the Prime Meridian? Or somewhere in Japan? If the latter where, as it doesn't appear to be Kyoto?

Comment

I don't see any figures, but the lines look to generally correspond with the Greenwich system. I would guess that Japan's exposure to the concept would have been via the Portuguese and Dutch.

Comment

In the 1853 map if you zoom in on the Europe area you can see that the line definitely doesn't go through greenwich, but goes either through or very near Paris. Greenwich wasn't standardized as the Prime Meridian until a few years later (1884, though France resisted for a while).

Comment

Yeah, I was looking at Asia.

Paris seems likely given the timing and the relative lack of interaction with Britain as of that point.

Comment

Punch in 1913:

Comment

That is a thing of brilliance.

Comment

this is nice

https://twitter.com/BeineckeLibrary/status/1282116220515491841?s=20

Comment

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post
                                In the 1853 map if you zoom in on the Europe area you can see that the line definitely doesn't go through greenwich, but goes either through or very near Paris. Greenwich wasn't standardized as the Prime Meridian until a few years later (1884, though France resisted for a while).
                                I expect Paris had its own observatory just out of town, like Greenwich in London. Versailles?

Comment

Has, not had.

And it is in the city, on the Left Bank in the 14th.

And yes, the French Prime Meridian passed through it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_Observatory

Comment

LOVE that Speakeasy map.

Nightclub map, rather.
                                    Last edited by MsD; 12-07-2020, 13:48.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                                      So, so many questions from that one VT. Just a few of those that spring to mind:

Did the huntsman in the NE get his dog to play pat-a-cake with the bear to distract him?
                                      Has the huntsman slightly to the SW of him run out of bullets, and therefore decided to bayonet the bear?
                                      Why is the plane at the top about to crash into an ice floe?
                                      What exactly are the animals in the SSE bit - reindeer wearing white stockings?
                                      Speaking of which, in the top centre that seems to be a diced walrus talking to a skinny Loch Ness monster - what's that about?
                                      That bit in the SW central - are those the spirit rabbits that sang Bright Eyes on Watership Down?

I actually want that map on my wall
                                      Apologies for not reponding - I haven't been here for a while, and I haven't a clue with regard to your questions....

Comment

https://twitter.com/marceldirsus/sta...950823936?s=12

And because I can't do Twitter links properly, it contains this.

Comment

And in the replies, this.

Comment

And this.

Comment

Some things are better left alone

Comment

Bonus points for Bath-Bath.

Comment

I've long thought that Baden Baden had done impressive job to usurp Bath Spa as most tautological place name.

Comment

East Timor, Lake Chad, River Avon, La Brea tar pits, Lake Nyassa... the list is pretty extensive.
                                                    Though Baden Baden still wins.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X