No announcement yet.

Who likes looking at maps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would have gone for Las Meninas, with El Greco's View of Toledo as an alternative.

Though Guy's idea is quality.

Comment

So.

Scotland, NI, and Wales then?

The Skating Minister
      ??
      TE Lawrence

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
          You have won the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
            How is that Monet's most famous work and not haystacks, cathedral or water lillies? And that's even before getting to weather he'd be the artist of the most famous piece.

20 years ago the UK would have been the haywain, or a Gainsborough.
            And ten years ago The Singing Butler...

Comment

Bloody hell. I have never seen that before in my life. Yet there is the BBC saying the artist was the most popular in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                Would be difficult to choose an Irish painting, but he's certainly the most famous modern artist - perhaps one of his "Pope" series, though?

I'd have gone for something by Francis Danby, myself.

Comment

Robert Ballagh, Louis Le Broughy or Harry Clarke.

Comment

Amazing how it all appears to be figurative art as well.

Does this mean for the USA Jackson Pollock (of whom I am not a fan - too much white and not enough color [sic] IMO) wouldn't be named?

Comment

See the creator's method

Hi, I composed this map based on my art history class in school and Google Search. There is no singular sources for this.
                      I shudder to think what the winner of a US popular vote would be

Comment

Some of us are pooh-poohing but the map is fun, and raises debate. Win-win.

Comment

Yes, I think it's great. Wouldn't mind it on my wall.

Comment

Does this link work any better?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ind...-7681846%3famp

Been out all day with the kids at various crazed Christmas activities. Didn't realise the map would trigger so much discussion!

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                              Does this link work any better?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ind...-7681846%3famp

Been out all day with the kids at various crazed Christmas activities. Didn't realise the map would trigger so much discussion!

Comment

And what happened to my reply.

Can't be arsed to repeat it all.

Thanks, B.

This was interesting and thought provoking stuff.

Comment

That's how I would like to decorate my walls at home...

Comment

So, this is a huge long thread, and I haven't read it all.

I want some maps. Like, of where we live now, over the ages, kind of thing. Has anyone done that kind of thing? Kind of thing kind of thing.

Comment

https://mappinglondon.co.uk/category/historic/

Comment

What a fine resource.

Comment

Oh my giddy aunt have you seen this side-by-side tool for looking at maps over time?

Comment

Wowza

Comment

I've just bored the other half senseless with that. Tracing the old canal, mainly.

I now need to find out about the two laundries (one at least being the British Lion Laundry) and the engineering works in my road back in the day. One of which is our building.

Comment

Fascinating article about the island nation of Kiribati, which straddles all four hemispheres. http://www.focusongeography.org/publ...ati/index.html

Comment

I love those side-by-side maps but I wish there was a halfway house map between 1955 and now. I'd love to know, for example, when the road I live in was built because it must have been sometime in that time period.

Comment

Yeah I want to know when our road became closed at one end.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X