The WTF? Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The WTF? Thread

Regrettably, this made me decide to find out what John Coffey sound like.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Has anyone posted on the Rachel Dolezal thing yet? It's a bit of a thinker. White woman 'passes' for black woman and runs NAACP chapter. At first blush, a real WTF? moment worthy of the thread.

But given the discussions we've had here around the nature of identity, can we deny her her black identity just because she's not black the way we'd define her? She obviously identifies with the black community, and feels a part of their world. But is that enough? Or is it plenty? Dunno.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

It came up in the "Can You Choose Your Own Race?" thread.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Oh. Yeah. I can see how you could shoehorn it into that.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

She resigned today without providing the "explanation" she had promised.

It also turns out that she sued Howard for race and gender discrimination in 2004, and had it thrown out, with the university being awarded costs.

She's got some issues, and the degree to which the wingnuts have jumped on this with fallacious comparisons to trans people is ridiculous.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Yeah, there seemed to be a lot of mumblespeak around 'people drawing conclusions without hearing the whole story', which of course wasn't offered.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

I liked this Jamelle Bouie piece.

Then again, her story involves lies and misrepresentations. She passed off a darker-skinned stranger as her father, and an adopted sibling as her son. There’s a chance she faked a hate crime against her, and she falsely claimed she was born in a tepee with a family that hunted for its food. She says she’s black, but we don’t know if she’s always black. Is she black when she’s purchasing a home? Talking to the police? Or is she black only when vying for a role where lived experience would help her odds?
                The string of lies is what really bothers me

Comment

The WTF? Thread

If this doesn't belong in the "wtf" thread.

Then nothing does.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-33153031

Comment

The WTF? Thread

What kind of fucking shit is this?

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/whale-hill-school-france-trip-9460882

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Seems a cruel way to learn why playing the lottery is a mug's game.

Very poor organisation from the school as well.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Ł800 PCM Studio flat in Brockley "does not benefit from a toilet"

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Guy Potger wrote: What kind of fucking shit is this?

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/whale-hill-school-france-trip-9460882
                          My kids' school does that, we're about to go through it again for my daughter going on a hockey trip next year. The alternative, which they used to do, was first come first served, which rewarded kids with well organised parents, and of course who could easily find the required deposit.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Walt Flanagans Dog wrote:
                            Originally posted by Guy Potger
                            What kind of fucking shit is this?

My kids' school does that, we're about to go through it again for my daughter going on a hockey trip next year. The alternative, which they used to do, was first come first served, which rewarded kids with well organised parents, and of course who could easily find the required deposit.
                            Surely, the alternative is hire a bigger bus.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Good grief, that's twice what my girlfriend and I pay, and I'm including our bills/TV, phone and internet in that. Apart from being at least twice as big (and having balconies, have I mentioned we have two balconies?), we're better located and can go for a shit without having to leave the flat.

It's seeing property listings like that that remind me why I came here.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

The World's favorite (sic) search engine at it again -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-33347866

Its product automatically tags uploaded pictures using its own artificial intelligence software.
                                "Automatically"? How does that work then?

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Headline of the day:

Woman gives birth, fights off bees, starts wildfire in Northern California
                                  Story here: http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-woman-lost-forest-20150630-story.html

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Impressive.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Guy Potger wrote: "Automatically"? How does that work then?
                                      Can't tell if that is sarcasm or a genuine question. In the latter case: here are some papers with techniques to do so. I don't know the details, but this is a very active topic in machine learning research, particularly when combined with deep learning.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Comment

The WTF? Thread

That's the company that had the "joke" tweet about African Americans being beaten by police, right?

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Incandenza wrote: That's the company that had the "joke" tweet about African Americans being beaten by police, right?
                                            Don't start that again…

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Smallcaps wrote:
                                              Originally posted by Guy Potger
                                              "Automatically"? How does that work then?
                                              Can't tell if that is sarcasm or a genuine question. In the latter case: here are some papers with techniques to do so. I don't know the details, but this is a very active topic in machine learning research, particularly when combined with deep learning.
                                              Semi-serious.

I was trying to work out how something ostensibly trying to "teg" photographs could be using an algorithm or any form of pattern recognition that could not identify human beings when an image of them is presented.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Guy Potger wrote: Semi-serious.

I was trying to work out how something ostensibly trying to "teg" photographs could be using an algorithm or any form of pattern recognition that could not identify human beings when an image of them is presented.
                                                Right. Again, I cannot give you much detail, since it's just outside of my area of expertise, but this is an outstanding example of the kind of task at which human beings perform significantly better than computers. It's really hard to tell a computer how to perform this particular task that we simply perform through experience dating back to the start of our species. Personally, I couldn't list exactly what I do when I recognize entities on photos.

One of my former colleagues has done some interesting related research, to be presented at a workshop collocated with the International Conference on Machine Learning next week. He managed to get a computer to predict his Tinder swipe behavior with 68.1% accuracy. His dataset consists of only pictures of human faces, and the decision task is binary (so random guessing gives you 50% accuracy to begin with), which makes 68.1% less than impressive. The guy may have some subtle preferences in woman, but part of the disappointing accuracy is also that computers simply are not good at abstracting concepts out of images.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

This made me raise an eyebrow
                                                  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3148431/Police-discover-WWII-TANK-anti-aircraft-gun-hidden-cellar-German-pensioner-s-house.html
                                                  and then chuckle
                                                  "He was chugging around in that thing during the snow catastrophe in 1978."

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Geoffrey de Ste. Croix wrote:
                                                    I saw this the other day.

By what logic are they claiming that Andy Murray is an "immigrant"?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X