The WTF? Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The WTF? Thread

The striking thing about that is that it is a public broadcaster.

ARD is the equivalent of BBC 1 (though the programme in question is not the equivalent of The News at Ten)

Comment

The WTF? Thread

In other European broadcasters getting it wrong news...Good work France 3 http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/oct/07/french-broadcatsers-anti-sexism-advert-pulled-for-being-sexist?CMP=share_btn_fb

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Not so much the story, which qualifies for a full wtf in its own right, but the framing question which the BBC have used:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-34460325

Comment

The WTF? Thread

ad hoc wrote: In other European broadcasters getting it wrong news...Good work France 3 http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/oct/07/french-broadcatsers-anti-sexism-advert-pulled-for-being-sexist?CMP=share_btn_fb
          That's excellent.

My girlfriend's and my favoured chain of supermarkets here advertises itself exclusively at women, right down to calling its customers 'Experts in saving money' and using the feminine pronoun for 'experts'. We have a bit of an inside line on this as my girlfriend teaches English to a guy in their advertising department who wrote most of their TV ads, and he actually agreed with her when she had a go at him (good naturedly) for being sexist. He knows it's horribly offensive to women of our generation but in Argentine society, his (male) bosses want the ads to be aimed that way, and the generation of women the ads are aimed at aren't - by and large, obviously this isn't a univeral thing - anywhere near as feminist in their outlook as my girlfriend's generation. It's a really weird situation.

The current lot of ads came out a few months after my girlfriend's mum died, and I'm pretty sure if she'd lived to see them she'd have insisted on accompanying my girlfriend to one of the classes so she could throw Molotov cocktails through their windows.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Just reading about Wallace Greenslade, who provided the straight man interjections on The Goon Show and was a continuity announcer on BBC radio for many years.

Apparently every single night that Greenslade (with his mellifluous received pronunciation) was signing BBC radio off for the night he would say:

"That's all from the BBC tonight, We hope you enjoyed your listening today and we'd like to welcome you back tomorrow. So from all of us here in Broadcasting House, goodnight, a very good night".

- red light clicks off.

"You shower of fucking bastards".

Apparently he did this every single time and was so well liked amongst engineers and floor staff they never once kept him on the air when he thought he was off. He was never caught.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

ad hoc wrote: In other European broadcasters getting it wrong news...Good work France 3 http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/oct/07/french-broadcatsers-anti-sexism-advert-pulled-for-being-sexist?CMP=share_btn_fb
              Just read a few comments on that article. I love how the people saying that it's obviously a joke and not meant to be taken seriously are all male*.

*apparently--based on their names

Comment

The WTF? Thread

I have no idea if this is a thing in other countries, it may well be, but anyway- poepspel.

A card/board game in which you have to lose your cards as fast as possible. The one with the most amount of cards at the end of each round has to wear a shit on his/her head.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Glaswegian council towerblocks Even harder than inhabitants

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Geoffrey de Ste. Croix wrote: I have no idea if this is a thing in other countries, it may well be, but anyway- poepspel.

A card/board game in which you have to lose your cards as fast as possible. The one with the most amount of cards at the end of each round has to wear a shit on his/her head.

What is the gameplay involving the whoopee cushion?

(This is a "must have" for the next 'thon, should there be one, surely?)

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Playboy to stop publishing photos of nude women.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

I always bought it for the articles anyway...

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Sue Your Nephew!

New York woman wants a jury to hold her 8-year-old nephew accountable for his youthful exuberance during his birthday party.

Jennifer Connell claims the boy, Sean Tarala of Westport, acted unreasonable when he leaped into her arms, causing her to fall on the ground and break her wrist four years ago. This week Connell is asking a six-member Superior Court jury to find the boy liable for his actions.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

“I live in Manhattan in a third-floor walk-up so it has been very difficult,” she said. “And we all know how crowded it is in Manhattan.”

And then there is the damage the injury has done to Connell’s social life.

“I was at a party recently, and it was difficult to hold my hors d’oeuvre plate,” she said
                            LOL. This woman is probably a hero on /r/childfree.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

“I was at a party recently, and it was difficult to hold my hors d’oeuvre plate.”
                              Well, that's the headstone inscription sorted then.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

I have a feeling that this is going to prove to be somewhat overcooked, rather like the Upper East Side "wife bonus" article/book.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

From the Evening Standard

It's about Holborn

And "Bleisure"

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Football Crossover!

Former Liverpool striker Djibril Cisse is being held in police custody in connection to an alleged blackmail case against Mathieu Valbuena.

The ex-France international is understood to be one of four men under investigation by French police over the alleged attempted blackmail of Valbuena using a sextape that is reported to contain the diminutive Lyon midfielder.
                                    Allez les (Films) Bleus!

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Incandenza wrote:
                                      “I live in Manhattan in a third-floor walk-up so it has been very difficult,” she said. “And we all know how crowded it is in Manhattan.”

And then there is the damage the injury has done to Connell’s social life.

“I was at a party recently, and it was difficult to hold my hors d’oeuvre plate,” she said
                                      LOL. This woman is probably a hero on /r/childfree.
                                      She's a right mare, but the comments underneath are the usual hatred towards childless women from certain quarters. "No wonder she doesn't have any ... She doesn't understand love ... Selfish witch ... Extreme feminist career woman too selfish to have kids."

On the wrist, maybe she didn't do her rehab exercises assiduously enough, or should sue her doctor.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

I hope he surprises her in the courtroom with one of his trademark, exuberant "Auntie Jen! Auntie Jen!" greetings.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

It's about Holborn

And "Bleisure"
                                          "Midtown" for the Holborn to Fleet Street slice of central London is a kind of commercial real estate jargon word (standard for many years now in their trade magazines such as Property Week) that will never, ever, catch on amongst normal people having non-real estate business-related conversations.

"Bleisure", well, some journalists obviously need to experience more contemptuous laughter in their faces than they probably have been getting.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Auntie Christ loses case in less than a half hour.

A Connecticut jury needed just 25 minutes Tuesday to decide against a Manhattan human resources manager who sued her own nephew for $127,000 in damages after he accidentally broke her wrist.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Drunken bar brawl ends with protagonist visiting vet with a split beak

Comment

The WTF? Thread

WOM wrote: I hope he surprises her in the courtroom with one of his trademark, exuberant "Auntie Jen! Auntie Jen!" greetings.
                                                haha

Comment

The WTF? Thread

ha ha, lord love a duck!

That Auntie Christ thing, fucking hell! She really was serious about the thing, wasn't she. Words fail. Kid's mother died last year too, according to that last link. That auntie is one seriously fucked up woman.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Minutes - and I mean literally about fifteen or twenty minutes - in the car from the village I grew up in. Reading that page, I wonder why I ever wanted to leave.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X