No announcement yet.

The WTF? Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://twitter.com/TheTNHoller/status/1644396185766043681?t=g4N6XmllIZ706Ym2QVSUMw&s=19

Comment

My son was idly wondering what some of his old schoolmates were up to these days - had a bit of a shock: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ges-castration

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
        My son was idly wondering what some of his old schoolmates were up to these days - had a bit of a shock: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ges-castration
        That is wild. It's also a real life example of one of those philosophical questions of what's allowed if people consent. You can consent to have your kidney removed if it's being donated to someone. You can consent to have body parts pierced and tattooed. You can consent to BDSM. You can consent to having your genitals modified as part of gender reassignment surgery.

Is there specifically a law which specifies you can't consent to having your genitals removed just for fun? I mean, personally it's very hard to imagine why you'd want to, but in this case there don't appear to have been any unwilling participants.

Comment

The vast majority of physicians would consider it a violation of professional ethics, but I am not aware of it being criminalised anywhere.

Comment

There was that thing of those blokes who, in a consensual way and in private, did strange* things to each other's genitally, and were convicted for it.

*Strange to me, but what's it got to do with me?

Comment

Spanner. An absolute disgrace of a prosecution.

Comment

Geez, I had no idea about this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Spanner

The Lords judgement is troubling, but the ECHR ruling really surprise me.

Comment

https://twitter.com/rob_heighton/status/1644717767512186883?t=liiklUs1qvjkzG83m_oEIw&s=19

Comment

https://twitter.com/abcnews/status/1644464382968209408?t=AgM5ADs_OH3FZ43hEPt8bw&s=19

Also, from the article, "In NSW, there's no minimum working age but you have to be 11 before you can receive a tax file number."

Comment

What are award wages?

Comment

An Aussie word for sectoral pay regulations

The minimum wages and conditions an employee is entitled to are set out in awards (also known as modern awards). Awards don’t apply when an employer has an enterprise agreement or other registered agreement and the employee is covered by it.

Every award has information about who is covered by it. To work out which award applies, read:
                        • the coverage clause (usually clause 4)
                        • the job classifications (usually in the pay section or a schedule).

Comment

The latest news on the Dalai Lama belongs on here surely? FFS. That's the kind of thing you can get from unchallenged theocracy I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                            Oh, one of the people I went to Grad School with (didn’t know him) just got indicted for murdering his wife. He shot her in the head and has since claimed it was because she was abusing their kids. Not sure I fancy his chances on that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                              The latest news on the Dalai Lama belongs on here surely? FFS. That's the kind of thing you can get from unchallenged theocracy I suppose.
                              No joke, as soon as this thread was kicked to the top I was like "Dalai Lama...Dalai Lama!"

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                                Oh, one of the people I went to Grad School with
                                Grad School?

Comment

Actually, I think that we've done this before.

Comment

I think "grad school" is post-graduate study, rather than specific institutions that solely do post-graduate study. I could well be wrong. I find it confusing.

But not as confusing as the typologically almost identical "grade school" which I have to look up the meaning of every time it's mentioned.

Comment

I recall Michael Palin strongly implying that a Tibetan monastery he visited was a nonce's paradise - but he left it at that, no further enquiries.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                        I think "grad school" is post-graduate study, rather than specific institutions that solely do post-graduate study. I could well be wrong. I find it confusing.

But not as confusing as the typologically almost identical "grade school" which I have to look up the meaning of every time it's mentioned.
                                        Unsurprisingly, you are wrong.

Comment

This may be too disturbing for some

https://twitter.com/CosmopolitanUK/status/1645413887100039169?s=20

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post

Unsurprisingly, you are wrong.
                                            So "grad school" refers to places that do only post-graduate study, and not to a post-grad course at a place that does pre-graduate study too? Or do such places not exist there anyway?

Comment

Such places exist in the US, but are exceedingly rare.

The vast majority of post graduate education here is conducted through universities that also award undergraduate degrees.

Just as an example, both of my graduate degrees are from Columbia University, which also includes Columbia College, where Obama got his undergraduate degrees.

Tiresome academics will sometime insist that "professional schools" that award graduate degrees in architecture, business, law, medicine, etc are not "true" graduate schools, though that attitude is not as widespread as it was when I was an undergraduate.

Comment

So what is "grad school" then? Is it the physical school, any physical institution that offers post-graduate study/degrees?

Comment

I am sure I went to grad school. The institution I attended only offered masters degrees. But I still don't know what the limits of the term grad school are

Comment

Working...
                                                  X