Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Etienne
    replied
    Roy, Buttler and Denly would all be in line for dropping under normal circumstances. But I can't see them dropping more than one of them.

Leave a comment:

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied
    So what do England do about Roy? He's got to go, or at least drop down the order.

Open with Bairstow? Even better - Leach!

Leave a comment:

• George C.
    replied
    https://twitter.com/BeardedGenius/status/1165707679811211264?s=19

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    I agree. It must be psychologically shattering. Plus Archer, maybe Anderson, to bring further ghosts into their heads.

Meanwhile, not to be outdone, India have WI at 47/7 in Antigua with Bumrah on 5-7.
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 25-08-2019, 19:30.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    If Smith is back and unaffected they will be fine.

If not . . .

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Astounding stuff, I watched the last few hours in a box at Spurs and it did make the subsequent football game seem a bit prosaic.

It's silly to make predictions in this ridiculous rollercoaster series but I think that the the Aussies may be broken now.

The way they threw away the chance to secure the urn with their fielding and reviews in the final hour will haunt them as well as the fear of what else Stokes can achieve.

Leave a comment:

• Etienne
    replied
    I won £140 quid. Frankly I thought 6-1 was pretty poor odds but I didn't have time to shop around.

Leave a comment:

• Freestyling buck wilding Stijn Stijnen
    replied
    I have seen the future, and there will be at least one journalist this week who'll shat out a column which ties in this remarkable Ashes performance to Brexit and standing tall, dunkirk spirit, white cliffs of Dover and that. As the vision fades, I see Johnson's face photoshopped onto Ben Stokes celebratory posture. Oh it burns, quick, piss into my eyes.

Leave a comment:

• Paul S
    replied
    How much did you win?

Leave a comment:

• Etienne
    replied
    The first time I ever bet on anything. I put 20 quid on England to win after Australia were bowled out. I just had a really strong feeling they were going to do it. Didn't think they were going to do it that way. Astonishing.

Leave a comment:

• E10 Rifle
    replied
    Stokes played the worst shot of the entire series in the first innings yet still won the game pretty much single-handedly. And he bowled brilliantly second time round too, having been similarly poor first innings.

One of those days when Test cricket doesn't feel like so much of a team sport. Also, one of those days when Test cricket feels like the greatest thing in the world.

Leave a comment:

• diggedy derek
    replied
    Wow.

Leave a comment:

• multipleman78
    replied
    Before that ball brushed the front pad of Stokes it was tracking towards leg, possibly the outside of leg stump. Hawkeye showed it hitting middle and leg. I don't think the technology accounted for that feather off his pad, which i think the umpire did.

Leave a comment:

• George C.
    replied
    Another ropey umpiring decision though.

Still keeps the series alive.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
    There are a number of Americans on this thread who know exactly what's going on.
    I’ve been following it, but haven’t been able to watch it.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Test cricket is the best sport there is. Only Test cricket can do this, and the memories stick for a lifetime in a way that maybe those in other sports don't always achieve. Stokes gets a kind of sporting immortality of reputation no matter what he does on the field after this.

Imagine kids watching this and becoming addicted to Test cricket for life.

Leave a comment:

• Various Artist
    replied
    Haven't been on OTF in months, but this afternoon seemed worth making an exception for – especially after coming across this inspired piece of Wiki-vandalism just now:

Leave a comment:

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied
    Literally unbelievable.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Ta

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Originally posted by multipleman78 View Post
    I couldn't believe the two balls that Stokes played after getting it down to 2 to win. Just knock a single and guarantee the Ashes are alive. Instead he tries a reverse sweep, Leach is almost up his arse and then after escaping that he is trying to slog one into the stand. I suppose at that point the adrenaline would be surging so much that clarity is hard to find.
    Cricinfo suggested he was absolutely exhausted and I think the momentum was with him to just keep slogging. Rather that than a run-out.

Leave a comment:

• Gangster Octopus
    replied
    There are a number of Americans on this thread who know exactly what's going on.

Leave a comment:

• Paul S
    replied
    Arise Sir Ben Stokes!

That was amazing stuff, just wow, those last few overs had everything. How do explain test cricket to an American?

Leave a comment:

• Gangster Octopus
    replied
    Couldn't believe that the game was still going when I came into the pub. Glad that I did: good timing on my part...

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Originally posted by multipleman78 View Post
    I know it doesn't matter now but on that wasted review. The ball clipped his front pad but hawkeye didn't appear to show any deviation when there certainly was some. I presume that is why umpire didn't give it.
    Pre-Hawkeye-era would any umpire have given it?

My two nephews were at the ground and will now be able to tell their grandkids "I was there!"

As an individual effort in a Test in England, Stokes this weekend is up there with anybody.
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 25-08-2019, 15:34.

Leave a comment:

• Guy Profumo
    replied
    Yay!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X