Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    My reaction against "natural" in cricket is not for race reasons. It normally seems associated with Gentleman Players, the true amateurs, with the implication that the moneyed aristocrats of the game had a natural talent whereas the professionals who had to get paid and had to work weren't as innately skilled and had to slog away to be the equal of, say, Douglas Jardine (or, later, it was always David Gower). It's an old school class thing.

So, when I hear it said about someone with Jofra Archer's background it really doesn't bother me at all.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Good points, NS and jwdd.

Leave a comment:

• jwdd27
    replied
    I think with cricket it's more describing a player who makes it look easy - Root himself spoke about Archer's "natural pace" at the weekend, i.e. he generates extreme pace without looking like he's straining every sinew.

I saw his interview on the highlights, in which he seemed to confirm that, as commentators suggested, Root was nearly guilty of over-bowling him: "I was blowing a bit".

But he also contradicted Boycott and others' protests that he was bowling from the wrong end for much of the day - uphill from the football ground end* - saying that the uphill incline was similar to his favoured Sussex end. It certainly didn't do Darren Gough much harm when I used to watch him (and when I presume he had first choice). Indeed bowling at an end which cuts down your pace probably helps to focus on control and seam movement. Boycott in gobshite shock etc.

* It's now the Emerald stand end, although the football (rugby) ground is still there, and the other end is the Pavilion end, even though Kirkstall Lane is still there (although it should always have been the Cardigan Road end)

Leave a comment:

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied
    I tend to hear the word as a compliment, suggesting that a sportsperson's skill is innate rather than the result of endless practice and effort. I think that the former tend to be more highly regarded, possibly because their performances seem, I don't know, smoother. More graceful.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Maybe I'm over-sensitive to these things, but McGrath's use of the word "natural" seems dodgy here, as if Archer somehow hasn't had to work so hard at his craft as a white bowler does:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/49394739

Dennis Lillee had a beautiful flowing action but "natural" was not used about him AFAIK.
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 22-08-2019, 19:40.

Leave a comment:

• Tony C
    replied
    Just seen the highlights and Archer was impressive.

Good to see Stokes bringing the beamer out for a vital wicket - a major part of any seamer's skill set I always thought.

Leave a comment:

• E10 Rifle
    replied
    He probably bowled better in his first spells in both innings at Lord's, but he still did more than enough today to show he's about more than raw pace. Good, smart lateral movement too.

A weird day though, because for a little while after tea England were an utter shambles and memories of Headingley 89/93/97 were flooding back

Leave a comment:

• jwdd27
    replied
    6/45 for Archer. This lad's pretty good, isn't he?

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    That scorecard suddenly is looking a lot better

Leave a comment:

• longeared
    replied
    "The battens have been hatched down" - Jim Maxwell.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    They can play until 7.30, apparently.

Leave a comment:

• diggedy derek
    replied
    England doing OK to take two wickets, but poor captaincy by Root to not give Woakes a go between the rain breaks.

Leave a comment:

• longeared
    replied
    Definitely felt like a bowl first kind of day here 30 miles away - although it hasn't rained at all - it's one of those late summer mornings with slate grey cloud cover, heavy clammy air and the ball should turn round corners.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    If the weather allows them to really have a bowl at them. If most of today is rained out and tomorrow is sunny it may prove to be a big error

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    This might be the one occasion where bowling first works. Juice in the pitch; Australia very vulnerable with the bat; the pitch will settle down later under blue skies.

Leave a comment:

• pebblethefish
    replied
    And they're off!

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    Covers back on

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    England win slightly delayed toss and opt to bowl. Last five tests at Headingley the side winning the toss have lost. Paine says he would have batted (though obviously he might just be saying that)

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    Raining in Leeds

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
    Smith ruled out of the next test. Sense prevails over his head injury at last.
    Potentially McGrathesque in its impact on the series but unavoidable given the quick turnaround and the sensible decision.

Leave a comment:

• Flynnie
    replied
    Originally posted by Etienne View Post
    It depends. When he was born, in South Africa it was something Afrikaans, nothing like either of those, and I can't convey it phonetically. Now it sounds more like "shaney". Think Healy encouraging Warne.
    I'll have a go, since I was also confused by this as I remember Jannes Labuschagne, aka the guy who ran over Jonny Wilkinson and got sent off in one of the all-time embarrassments in Springbok rugby when they lost to England 53-3.

La-bus-schag-ne: Lah-buus-shog*-nay.

*rhymes with cog. Also need to pronounce that G like groot in Dutch/Afrikaans. So a gutteral sound.

Leave a comment:

• Antepli Ejderha
    replied
    Smith ruled out of the next test. Sense prevails over his head injury at last.

Leave a comment:

• Gangster Octopus
    replied
    Just before lunch on Saturday, I said to my wife that the only way that England were going to get Smith out was to shoot him. I hadn't realised that that's what they were going to do...

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    Fair point about Smith not being captain. My brain obviously still fails to process that.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post

Couple of things here: You could argue that Australia have basically been saved twice in this series: first by the Anderson injury, second by the rain. So if they mither and whine about how unfair it is that Smith's injured, give them shit.

The second thing is that (Sky/whatever dodgy feed I was watching) showed - just as Archer was starting his first over - how much the Australians, and particularly Cummings, peppered him with the short ball in the first innings. Given that this would have been ordered by Smith, it would seem odd that Australia could be talking about retaliation. They appear to have started it, trying to intimidate Archer.
    Smith isn't the captain so wouldn't have "ordered" any bowling and no Australian players or coaches have "mithered or whined" as far as I've seen.

Anderson's injury "saving" Australia in Edgbaston is quite a stretch of the imagination too, however much it certainly weakened England. With regard to the rain, as others have pointed out, but for the first day being washed out Australia may have chosen to bat first which could have altered the match significantly.
    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 18-08-2019, 20:54.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X