X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    1) Belatedly, I found this news on David Hepworth's blog (31 Jan):

Mark Lewisohn...told me that he’s currently listening to all 97 hours of the original tape which was running as the Beatles recorded what would be the “Let It Be” film and album. Furthermore he was making sure he did it on the day and at the time that they did it fifty years earlier. That’s a similar kind of dedication.
    2) Amazingly, despite the Get Back chaos, by March 1969 some of Abbey Road was already in the can.

Leave a comment:

• Wouter D
    replied
    Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    If it's not called Lord of the Ringos I'm not in.
    [applause]

Leave a comment:

• Snake Plissken
    replied
    If it's not called Lord of the Ringos I'm not in.

Leave a comment:

• Sits
    replied
    Ooh Peter Jackson. Maybe he'll spread it across nine movies.

Leave a comment:

• Disco Child Ballads
    replied
    And appropriately enough, this news regarding a new film based on the Let it Be footage has been announced: https://www.thebeatles.com/news/new-...laimed-academy
    I'm not sure how appealing watching extra footage of the Beatles bickering would be though.

Leave a comment:

• Sits
    replied
    Wow, good pickup Serge.

Leave a comment:

• Beatle Simon
    replied
    The rooftop concert was 50 years ago today! Around lunchtime!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Be...ooftop_concert

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    I think you are correct. Yesterday has Paul's guitar.

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    Eleanor Rigby may be the first Beatles release on which none of them played an instrument...or was there an earlier example?

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Originally posted by Sits View Post
    I've often wondered whether Macca's anecdotes are heavily embroidered. Unless they involve Ringo it's not as if anyone's going to refute them.
    Lewisohn has said that he probably wouldn't get much from a Macca interview now. Not just the embroidery but the faulty memory after 50+ years (60+ if talking about the 50s).

I don't think he consciously lies though. He genuinely believes he wrote the whole of Eleanor Rigby without any help even though all the witnesses disagree.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Originally posted by G-Man View Post
    I'm sure there are. I'd be interested in your nominations.

Some tracks were used on previous Beatles covers mixes, so I didn't want to repeat them. Lady Madonna has previously featured in superior versions by Fats Domino (twice), Booker T. & The MG’s, and Cal Tjader. Hey Jude has featured in superior versions by Wilson Pickett and by The Temptations.

I challenge you to find a better version of The Inner Light than Jimmy McGriff and Junior Parker's.

I must confess to disliking Bowie’s version of Across The Universe, and I've yet to hear a version I like.

I cannot conceive of the possibility of any good version of Yellow Submarine, so having a funk band do it is as good as it gets. And Journey covering a fairly obscure Beatles song has novelty value.
    Apologies if I was abrupt. Wilson Pickett's 'Hey Jude' was my immediate thought but I hadn't realized it had already been picked in a previous mix. For 'It's All Too Much' I would select Steve Hillage (see above) or Chandrama's Hindi version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cROZo-AxDg8

Leave a comment:

• Sits
    replied
    Yeah I know. I just find it annoying when Macca does it.

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    Don't most people subtly alter their anecdotes, basically to omit annoying details which would otherwise lessen their impact?

Leave a comment:

• Sits
    replied
    I've often wondered whether Macca's anecdotes are heavily embroidered. Unless they involve Ringo it's not as if anyone's going to refute them.

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    Sorry, not much to do with an actual timeline but simply something which puzzles me about Oh Darling. The story goes (I think Macca himself told it) that he chainsmoked for a week to achieve the gruff quality needed to sing the song in character, or something like that. But what real difference would a week's solid smoking make to your voice beyond making it worse (and not worse in the way intended, if you see what I mean)? Also, going on what I know and on photos and film around the time, all of the members of The Beatles used to smoke their lungs away. So I'm not sure that if McCartney wouldn't have managed Oh Darling just as successfully if he had actually given up for a week before the recordings. Basically, what I'm postulating is that the smoking aspect of the vocals of this song have been overstated, not least by the singer himself.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    One thing I didn't realize until recently is that in Feb 69, The Beatles went straight from the Get Back disaster into new sessions that became the first sessions for Abbey Road yet none of the shit in the Get Back sessions seems to have leaked into the Abbey Road ones. Yoko is presumably still in the studio yet they are able to get down to work and do a good last album.

Maybe the rooftop concert temporarily papered over a few cracks?
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 15-01-2019, 12:44.

Leave a comment:

• Sits
    replied
    I found myself disagreeing with (journo) Bill Wyman on quite a lot his rankings, but that's what lists are for I suppose.

Leave a comment:

• G-Man
    replied
    I'm sure there are. I'd be interested in your nominations.

Some tracks were used on previous Beatles covers mixes, so I didn't want to repeat them. Lady Madonna has previously featured in superior versions by Fats Domino (twice), Booker T. & The MG’s, and Cal Tjader. Hey Jude has featured in superior versions by Wilson Pickett and by The Temptations.

I challenge you to find a better version of The Inner Light than Jimmy McGriff and Junior Parker's.

I must confess to disliking Bowie’s version of Across The Universe, and I've yet to hear a version I like.

I cannot conceive of the possibility of any good version of Yellow Submarine, so having a funk band do it is as good as it gets. And Journey covering a fairly obscure Beatles song has novelty value.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Originally posted by G-Man View Post
    50 years ago yesterday the Yellow Submarine sountrack was released. Side1 and 1968's non-album releases in cover versions...
    There are better covers of several of those tracks.

Leave a comment:

• Stumpy Pepys
    replied
    This journalist, improbably named Bill Wyman, has rated all 213 Beatles tracks from worst to best. Disagree with a few, but I think he's done a good job. If you've a spare half hour that is.

Leave a comment:

• G-Man
    replied
    50 years ago yesterday the Yellow Submarine sountrack was released. Side1 and 1968's non-album releases in cover versions...

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    The nadir: The Beatles being filmed falling apart in Twickenham, Jan 2-10, 1969, ending when George quits.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Steve Hillage doing 'It's All Too Much" 1977

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRx3y2GfsxA

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    George was at Woodstock with Dylan and The Band around this time while Paul was preparing songs for the disastrous Twickenham sessions. Lennon and Yoko were on heroin, but had performed at the Rock and Roll Circus on December 11.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Good podcast on the 'Blue' album that includes this period:

https://soundcloud.com/fabcast-870039074

There is a good Youtube series on the John and Paul relationship. This is the 1967-69 episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0mpbX4SaY0

1968: John and Paul in the US, May 13, 1968, promoting Apple (interviewed by Larry Kane):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp0i...ature=youtu.be

Leave a comment:

Working...
X