Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kevin S
    replied
    Dunno about underrated - he always features high on any list of top bassists. A quick Googling:

Music Radar ranks him #5 of all time
    Guitar World ranks him #3
    NME ranks him #14
    Rolling Stone ranks him #9

Mind you, the latter does say 'It’s hard to think of Paul McCartney as being underrated in any category. But for all the praise he’s earned as a singer, songwriter, and live performer, it’s quite possible he hasn’t gotten enough for his low-key low-end verve.'

So maybe it was the case at some point that he was underrated, but certainly there's been a very strong 'Hang on a minute fellas, this guy was actually a genius with four strings, wasn't he?' movement for a good while now.

Paperback Writer and Rain for me, Clive, if you like it pumping on your stereo. (Rain also featuring some very strong Ringo action.)
    Last edited by Kevin S; 16-12-2021, 12:32.

Leave a comment:

• Stumpy Pepys
    replied
    Like McCartney, I'm also a piano player who's never had a piano lesson. He's not a great piano player technically (and neither am I), but his use of chords is something special and a theme that music theorists can debate for a long time.

His bass playing is underrated though. Towards the end of the Beatles, he was doing some really inventive stuff. Check out the isolated bass on Lovely Rita.

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    This is brilliant:

Leave a comment:

• Walt Flanagans Dog
    replied
    Desperate click baiting from the NME, but I bring attention to it for their description of John Lennon as "the 'Imagine' hitmaker". Oh you mean that John Lennon...

https://twitter.com/NME/status/1444400507771133957?s=19

Leave a comment:

• kokamoa
    replied
    Originally posted by G-Man View Post
    Yeah, the Lennon/Harrison reference was to the instrumental "Cry For A Shadow", which they recorded on Tony Sheridan's LP in Hamburg in 1962.
    Indeed, and I had assumed the thread had gone into talking about Lennon/Harrison Beatles compositions, but it hadn't. It was talking about Beatles songs which don't mention the title in the lyrics, which is true of both Cry For a Shadow and She Said She Said.

Leave a comment:

• Sits
    replied
    I should have noted The Concert For Bangladesh, which was fifty years ago last month - considering it featured two Beatles in Harrison and Starr, plus two individuals who played on Beatles records in Billy Preston and Eric Clapton.

Leave a comment:

• G-Man
    replied
    Yeah, the Lennon/Harrison reference was to the instrumental "Cry For A Shadow", which they recorded on Tony Sheridan's LP in Hamburg in 1962.

Leave a comment:

• kokamoa
    replied
    Ooh, I do feel a fool!

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    Originally posted by kokamoa View Post

I don’t think that’s a co-write between John and George though. It is possibly the only instance where they are the vocalists on a track which Paul played on but didn’t sing. He walked out of the session because of an argument apparently.
    I wasn't referring to a Lennon-Harrison collaboration.

Leave a comment:

• kokamoa
    replied
    Originally posted by Sporting View Post
    Another one is She Said She Said.
    I don’t think that’s a co-write between John and George though. It is possibly the only instance where they are the vocalists on a track which Paul played on but didn’t sing. He walked out of the session because of an argument apparently.

Leave a comment:

• Sunderporinostesta
    replied
    The Guraundiunan has an article on a “new” Beatles/Lennon song. “Radio Peace” recorded by four Danish school kids interviewing Lennon for their school magazine during a child custody trip to visit Yokosuka first husband. No indication of the date but The Beatles archivist types will be frothing at the mouth I expect.

Leave a comment:

• G-Man
    replied
    Originally posted by Sporting View Post
    It has lots of "she said"s though.

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    Originally posted by Sheep View Post
    From their entire catalogue?

The entire side 2 of the Yellow Submarine album
    Apart from being instrumental this is really George Martin's work.

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied

Leave a comment:

• G-Man
    replied
    Cry For A Shadow. Which had no lyrics.

But, fact-fans, it's the only Lennon/Harrison composition.

Leave a comment:

• Discordant Resonance
    replied
    Octopus Garden?

Leave a comment:

• Lang Spoon
    replied
    The ballad of John and Yoko.

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    Originally posted by Sheep View Post

Revolution #9
    Flying
    Yer Blues
    Wild Honey Pie
    The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill
    A Day in the Life

Yes, and there are more.

Leave a comment:

• Sheep
    replied

Revolution #9
    Flying
    Yer Blues
    Wild Honey Pie
    The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill
    A Day in the Life

Last edited by Sheep; 26-09-2021, 12:18.

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    Go on, name the rest of them.

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    Originally posted by TonTon View Post
    Oh, another Revolver track, Love You To. I mean, all the words are there, but in a different order.
    Yeah. Love You To...to do what? Title doesn't quite fit with the lyrical intent.

Leave a comment:

• Sits
    replied
    Get in.

Leave a comment:

• DCI Harry Batt
    replied
    Oh yeah - there's loads innit.

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    Originally posted by Sits View Post
    On Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown) does John actually sing “this bird had flown”?
    I think he does. That was the song I had in mind.

Leave a comment:

• Sits
    replied
    On Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown) does John actually sing “this bird had flown”?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X