Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DCI Harry Batt
    replied
    Oh, another Revolver track, Love You To. I mean, all the words are there, but in a different order.

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    Originally posted by TonTon View Post
    Tomorrow Never Knows, Revolver
    That's one.

Leave a comment:

• DCI Harry Batt
    replied
    Tomorrow Never Knows, Revolver

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    It's something that's always stuck with me - "why is it called go to him when the words are go with him?".

So there's one in the four years between Please Please Me and Sgt Peppers then...hmmm.
    There are two...I think.

Leave a comment:

• DCI Harry Batt
    replied
    It's something that's always stuck with me - "why is it called go to him when the words are go with him?".

So there's one in the four years between Please Please Me and Sgt Peppers then...hmmm.

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    Anna (Go to Him) on Please Please Me
    You know what? This wasn't the answer I had in mind but checking the lyrics you seem to be correct. Well done!

So what was the next Beatles' song not to...?

Leave a comment:

• DCI Harry Batt
    replied
    Anna (Go to Him) on Please Please Me

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    Nope.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    There must be an earlier one but I'll have a stab at Being for the benefit of Mr Kite

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    Quick quiz: What was the first officially released Beatles' song not to include all the words in the title in the lyrics?

Leave a comment:

• Sits
    replied
    Oh that’s sad. Thanks Satchmo.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    [URL="https://twitter.com/marklewisohn/status/1261338530019565573"]https://twitter.com/marklewisohn/sta...38530019565573[/URL]

Leave a comment:

• G-Man
    replied
    Thanks for the kind words, gents. W1F, the site has new stuff every Thursday.

Leave a comment:

• willie1foot
    replied
    Originally posted by G-Man View Post
    We missed to note the 50th anniversary of Paul announcing that the Beatles had split, on April 10. But today is the 50th anniversary of Let It Be, the LP, coming out.

And if anyone is interested in the album by covers...
    One of the things I've missed not being on here for a long while and giving Facebook the arse is G-Man's music. Wwill you be joining the upcoming 'thon G? 10pm your time Saturday. .

Leave a comment:

• Various Artist
    replied
    Just to say, super work G-Man on all those albums you've 'recovered'. You should definitely go back and fill in the first couple if you've got the chance now.

Leave a comment:

• Sits
    replied
    Good pick up G-Man, and nice covers. Interesting that Billy Preston did his cover pretty much straight after appearing on the original.

Leave a comment:

• G-Man
    replied
    We missed to note the 50th anniversary of Paul announcing that the Beatles had split, on April 10. But today is the 50th anniversary of Let It Be, the LP, coming out.

And if anyone is interested in the album by covers...

Leave a comment:

• kokamoa
    replied
    Originally posted by Sporting View Post
    Not strictly Beatles but solo Macca; while listening to Maybe I'm Amazed (great song) the other day I was struck by these lines (which I'd never really taken in before):

Maybe I'm amazed at the the way you pulled me out of time
    And hung me on a line

Bit weird, no? Hung me on a line has one thinking of hanging someone out to dry...which isn't very romantic, to say the least.
    It makes sense when you consider McCartney’s mood through late ‘69/early ‘70. By his own admission, he took the fracturing of the Beatles very hard. He described it as a period of heavy drinking and an unwillingness to get out of bed. Linda McCartney helped him out of his funk by persuading him that he was good enough to make a go of it on his own as well as providing the love and stability of a family relationship. In effect, she pulled him out of a desperate, depressed “time” and repaired him (“hung me on the line”). In a sense, this period of renewal went on long after the song was released given that McCartney continued to lie low through 1970, before unleashing Another Day and Ram on the world.

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    My favourite second side of a Beatles album are the six songs on A Hard Day's Night.

Leave a comment:

• Sits
    replied
    Thanks G-man, and glad someone made sure the date was noted.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Yes, on the radio:

https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/12d735d9...bbfb7f6edbe020

Part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9QGhkMONvI

Todd Rungren wrote songs for a stage version:

https://www.amazon.com/Up-Against-To.../dp/B000005JYO
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 26-09-2019, 15:31.

Leave a comment:

• Stumpy Pepys
    replied
    Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    If it's not called Lord of the Ringos I'm not in.
    Does anyone know what happened to the Joe Orton script (Up Against It, I think). Did anyone ever stage it?

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Thanks for that! I'll check it out.

I watched Yesterday last night and liked it a lot more than I expected to.

Leave a comment:

• G-Man
    replied
    Today it's 50 years since Abbey Road was released. Their finest album, I think; certainly that Side 2 with that medley of tracks that might have been classics were they proper songs.

Starting with A Hard Day's Night, I've made track-by-track mixes of covers of the songs on each album, to coincide with their respective 50th anniversaries. I thought that with Side 2's truncated songs that would be a difficult job; turns out that it's probably the best of the mixes. Even leaving aside the Abbey Road version by Booker T & the MG's, quite a few soul and jazz singers covered tracks from Abbey Road. The covers mix is here.

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    Not strictly Beatles but solo Macca; while listening to Maybe I'm Amazed (great song) the other day I was struck by these lines (which I'd never really taken in before):

Maybe I'm amazed at the the way you pulled me out of time
    And hung me on a line

Bit weird, no? Hung me on a line has one thinking of hanging someone out to dry...which isn't very romantic, to say the least.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X