• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beatle Simon
    replied
    Beatles Timeline: 50 years on

G-Man wrote:

Here four posters that Bravo magazine published in 1966 of the Germany tour. The one where they receive an award is priceless. George looks un-im-pressed.
    Apart from the crowd-pleasing Paul, none of them seem to be too happy. Candlestick Park was just 2 months away, and it shows.

Leave a comment:

• Beatle Simon
    replied

I follow a few Beatles sites on twitter, and today the entries really highlight the progress of the band in just 3 years;

Today, in 1963, The Beatles started a ten-week tour of British seaside towns (including 4 concerts in Jersey on 6/7 August).

Today, in 1964, The Beatles' world tour finished in Brisbane.

Today, in 1965, The Beatles played Nice, France.

Today, in 1966, The Beatles played the first of 5 shows at The Budokan, Tokyo.

Leave a comment:

• G-Man
    replied

Remarkable. Two days ago they finished their three-gig our of West Germany, on the 30th they'll begin their Asia tour. Busy lads.

Here four posters that Bravo magazine published in 1966 of the Germany tour. The one where they receive an award is priceless. George looks un-im-pressed.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied

Jumping ahead a couple of years to the Maharishi, this is The Unthanks doing an amazing cover of Sexy Sadie, which brings out the dark harmonies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Usw_j8jvfNQ

Leave a comment:

• Sits
    replied

Finishing touches just being done on Taxman.

Leave a comment:

• MsD
    replied

The Beatles weren't yet Beatles when I hatched, but many of my early memories are Beatles related. "She Loves You" was my party piece at 4. I sang it into a microphone to general mirth, which was annoying, as I was deadly serious and sang tunefully with passion, I thought. Crap audience.

I remember my sisters getting up at the crack of dawn to go and greet the Beatles at Heathrow, and it's their voices on the TV clips singing "We Love You Beatles". We had With the Beatles played several times a day (along with The Shangri-las and other gems) and I was given my very own Hard Day's Night EP. So all of that would be 63-65?

Every album up to Sgt Pepper found its way into the house and I think my bigger brother bought a couple of them. I loved the psychedelic Beatles.

Only other memory - my mum was working at the Centre Hotel Heathrow when John and Yoko stayed there - it was the only airport hotel that would accept them, apparently. We got the daily goss but it's nothing I can remember specifically. What they ordered for breakfast etc. She wasn't a fan, unfortunately.

Leave a comment:

• Jah Womble
    replied

You young bastard.

Borrowed Time was the second single from Lennon's posthumous album Milk and Honey, a collection of odds 'n' sods from the post-Double Fantasy sessions. The first 45 (as was) had been Nobody Told Me, which fared better, making the UK Top Ten.

I remember Macca voicing his 'disgust' at fellow-Scousers Frankie Goes To Hollywood in early 1984, and hoping that Lennon would follow his Pipes of Peace to number one. Thankfully for all of us, it didn't work out that way.

Leave a comment:

• Sam
    replied

On the day I was born, 'Hello' by Lionel Richie was the UK number one. But that's not Beatles-related (as far as I know).

A song called 'Borrowed Time' by John Lennon, which I've never heard to my knowledge but I'm sure you old folks have, was at number 33 apparently.

And scrolling all the way down, a 1984 re-release of 'Can't Buy Me Love' was at number 68. So there we are.

Leave a comment:

• treibeis
    replied

On the day I was born, All You Need Is Love was knocked off the number-one spot in the German charts by San Francisco (Be Sure To Wear Flowers In Your Hair).

I'd have preferred The Beatles to have been usurped by some drippy shite from Peter Alexander, who had loads of hits that year, but you can't have everything, I suppose.

Leave a comment:

• 1974ddr
    replied

The single I Want To Hold Your Hand was released the day I was born. And the Yellow Submarine album five years later.
    Both were US releases though. They were behind the UK with the single, but slightly ahead of us with the (inessential) album.

Leave a comment:

• Amor de Cosmos
    replied

Thanks... I think.

Leave a comment:

• Jah Womble
    replied

Amor de Cosmos wrote: Stuart Sutcliffe quit The Beatles a month or so before I was kicked out of grammar school.
    For its sheer listlessness, that might just be the best of the lot...

Leave a comment:

• Sits
    replied

Happy birthday G-man!

Leave a comment:

• Amor de Cosmos
    replied

Stuart Sutcliffe quit The Beatles a month or so before I was kicked out of grammar school.

Leave a comment:

• WOM
    replied

Jah Womble wrote: But then, I imagine a lot of us will have a Beatles anniversary of one form or another.
    All You Need Is Love was #1 in the US on the day I was born.

Leave a comment:

• Duncan Gardner
    replied

Side 5

Sunday Bloody Sunday (John)
    Give Ireland Back to the Irish (Paul)
    Luck of the Irish (John)
    Will you gobshites feck off and write some decent songs? (The Irish)

Leave a comment:

• G-Man
    replied

Cheers!

Leave a comment:

• treibeis
    replied

G-Man wrote: I take some satisfaction from knowing that The Beatles began recording Revolver on the very day I was born. And they did so with a song that helped revolutionise music.
    Have I missed something here, possibly in another thread?

If so, I'd appreciate somebody guiding me to it.

If not: G-Man, old mate, I know you were born a year before I was. I'll belatedly drink a beer and orangeade in your honour this evening.

Leave a comment:

• Jah Womble
    replied

Agree with the above posts.

G-Man wrote: I take some satisfaction from knowing that The Beatles began recording Revolver on the very day I was born. And they did so with a song that helped revolutionise music.
    Epstein first saw them play the day before I emerged. But then, I imagine a lot of us will have a Beatles anniversary of one form or another.

Leave a comment:

• Wouter D
    replied

Various Artist wrote: Genuinely, how in the blistering heck can Tomorrow Never Knows be half a century old?? It still sounds revolutionary even now.
    Played it in the car on my way to work this morning. Probably my favorite track ever.

Leave a comment:

• Various Artist
    replied

Genuinely, how in the blistering heck can Tomorrow Never Knows be half a century old?? It still sounds revolutionary even now.

Leave a comment:

• MsD
    replied

A friend of mine now owns houses in Liverpool where 3 of the Fab Four grew up; just Paul to go.

She's not rich, but snapped the first up quite cheaply at auction and has let them to Beatles enthusiasts. If I go to Liverpool I can stay in one of them. Which is nice.

Leave a comment:

• Beatle Simon
    replied

46 years ago today....

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/paul-mccartney-announces-the-breakup-of-the-beatles

http://s4.postimg.org/tjp6dyu9p/p_00471756.jpg

Leave a comment:

• G-Man
    replied

I take some satisfaction from knowing that The Beatles began recording Revolver on the very day I was born. And they did so with a song that helped revolutionise music.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied

Tomorrow Never Knows, Rain and Paperback Writer would all be done and dusted by April 14th.

Of the 1971 output, George's material is the only work that seems to fit the period: rock, folk, West Coast influences. The Lennon & Macca tracks are so private and insular that they really are solo works, not really in the rock canon at all.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X