Telly and Radio Thread January 13-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jameswba View Post

Less than four months. Can't wait ......

Today might have been Albion's best all-round performance of the season. Good defending, other than for the goals, for once combined with a threat going forward.

I think Wolves will be fine with Jimenez back in that side and perhaps a bit more end product from Traore. I love watching Traore, at least when you're playing anyone else.

Surprised there hasn't been more debate over our first pen (free-kick right on the edge, surely), or the ref opting not to check VAR when the ball hit Gibbs' hand in the box.
    Oh joy, the thing is Jimenez isn't coming back anytime soon. We really need another striker for the rest of the season and need to go back to a back three. Oh and we've got Chorley next week.

Comment

I had my first ever exposure to Mark Chapman on Sports Report on BBC Five Live. Fucking hell, a total charisma vacuum with the insight of a gnat. It really is far more pleasant to follow the scores on the web while playing some music, unless I have to drive somewhere at that time on a Saturday, in which case I'll choose BBC World Service.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
        Might as well confess I have weird soft spots for both WBA and Sam Allardyce, so that was pleasing. The Allardyce soft spot dates from him being mocked for drinking white wine from a pint glass, the WBA one from when Leicester escaped relegation to div 3 at Albion's expense.

Leicester v Southampton might be entertaining.
        We thought we were staying up that season after beating you at the Hawthorns with a last-minute winner. Leicester had taken an early lead through Kevin 'Rooster' Russell as I recall. Huge away following there.

But we couldn't beat Bristol Rovers in the final game, even though they played 87 minutes with 10 men. Rovers were playing in Bath at the time and Albion fans went down there wearing togas.

My soft spot for Sam Allardyce is, let's say, a work in progress.

Comment

If Allardyce is twice as nice as heaven that you take me to
          Who needs Allardyce, I'd rather have you

Comment

Originally posted by jeanmid View Post

Oh joy, the thing is Jimenez isn't coming back anytime soon. We really need another striker for the rest of the season and need to go back to a back three. Oh and we've got Chorley next week.
            And of course, you're really in as bad a situation as last time you played Chorley.

I don't think Cutrone is the answer so might sympathise over the need for a striker.
            Last edited by jameswba; 16-01-2021, 20:12.

Comment

Rooster was a hero based on a handful of performances during that escape, fans loved him. I felt bad for West Brom cos it was the first time they'd gone down to div 3, the fate we escaped.

I'd never have dreamed Leicester would field a team as good as the players in tonight's line-up.

Comment

Southampton have a player called Will Smallbone.

Comment

Obviously, there’s been much mention of the 0-9 from just over a year back. Southampton have been more than decent since - so much so, that it had slipped my mind that that had ever happened.

Comment

Southampton have looked the better side so far. Both more solid at the back, and more threatening up front. Which is a good combination...

Comment

That was rather out of the blue (Maddison, 1-0)

Comment

Good quality football in general - and a very smart finish from Maddison, who then adds to this virtuosity by eschewing close-up celebrations.

Comment

The front 4 have looked lively since the 20th minute or so, Janik. Southampton look strong though. Physically.

Comment

The front 4 have looked lively since the 20th minute or so, Janik. Southampton look strong though. Physically.
                            When Leicester can press Southampton in their defensive third, they look sharp. It’s where the goal came from, and also the Barnes chance previous to that. But the same is true of the Saints. The score is really down to Maddison finishing very well, whereas when Che Adams was clean through Leicester’s left he was a bit indecisive.

Comment

Oh, luck is certainly being ridden defensively.

Comment

I’m a bit loathe to say this, given I praised how Southampton and Leicester moreorless immediately scored, but it feels like Leicester are going up through the gears at the moment.

Comment

Maybe I should keep my mouth shut, as Southampton hit the bar, and then would have had a penalty if not for an offside!

Comment

Not Vardy’s day, is it?

Comment

Particular as he may have tweaked a hamstring.

And Barnes gets a second in junk time. A home win! Those are rare.

In terms of Leicester riding their luck defensively, it started before the game with Danny Ings positive COVID test. Just imagine the hay he would have made in the first half. Southampton looked tired in the second, though. Their lack of squad depth is a hinderance - three or four injuries is unfortunate, but that shouldn’t leave them with basically a bench of kids.
                                      Last edited by Janik; 16-01-2021, 21:58.

Comment

Southampton have a player called Will Smallbone.
                                        An Irish international, though yet to get his first full cap.

Comment

And of course, you're really in as bad a situation as last time you played Chorley.

I don't think Cutrone is the answer so might sympathise over the need for a striker.

1.Yes I'm aware things aren't as bad as they were in 1986.

2. I've never been a fan of Cutrone.

Comment

Less than four months. Can't wait ......

Today might have been Albion's best all-round performance of the season. Good defending, other than for the goals, for once combined with a threat going forward.

I think Wolves will be fine with Jimenez back in that side and perhaps a bit more end product from Traore. I love watching Traore, at least when you're playing anyone else.

Surprised there hasn't been more debate over our first pen (free-kick right on the edge, surely), or the ref opting not to check VAR when the ball hit Gibbs' hand in the box.
                                            Certainly agree with you on both after watching MOTD just now.

Comment

And if Ricardo had been fit all season we'd be 9 points in front of everyone.... Speculating who or what would have made a difference when they're absent is a futile exercise; Leicester beat, and deserved to, what was in front of them and played excellently against a very good team. So far, looking good.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                                                Particular as he may have tweaked a hamstring.

And Barnes gets a second in junk time. A home win! Those are rare.

In terms of Leicester riding their luck defensively, it started before the game with Danny Ings positive COVID test. Just imagine the hay he would have made in the first half. Southampton looked tired in the second, though. Their lack of squad depth is a hinderance - three or four injuries is unfortunate, but that shouldn’t leave them with basically a bench of kids.
                                                Is Obafemi injured - seems baffling that he's hardly played this season?

Comment

The Allardyce soft spot dates from him being mocked for drinking white wine from a pint glass, the WBA one from when Leicester escaped relegation to div 3 at Albion's expense.

I love the reason for your soft spot for Allardyce, DM. And drinking wine out a pint glass is OK by me.

We thought we were staying up that season after beating you at the Hawthorns with a last-minute winner. Leicester had taken an early lead through Kevin 'Rooster' Russell as I recall. Huge away following there.

But we couldn't beat Bristol Rovers in the final game, even though they played 87 minutes with 10 men. Rovers were playing in Bath at the time and Albion fans went down there wearing togas.

My soft spot for Sam Allardyce is, let's say, a work in progress.
                                                  I was living in Leicester at the time. Dark days. I had forgotten/erased from my mind that we were playing against 10 men down at Twerton. Puts this season's woes into perspective somewhat. I haven't seen anything from yesterday's game yet but good to hear that we played well. Still can't see us staying up though.

Comment

Watching a bit of Motherwell v Rangers. Ex-Salop product Connor Goldson playing for Rangers.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X