No announcement yet.

Telly and Radio Thread January 13-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drinking wine from a pint glass is barbaric and uncouth. Us sophisticates either drink it from a half litre glass, or if it's a good vintage, a litre.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post

I love the reason for your soft spot for Allardyce, DM. And drinking wine out a pint glass is OK by me.

I was living in Leicester at the time. Dark days. I had forgotten/erased from my mind that we were playing against 10 men down at Twerton. Puts this season's woes into perspective somewhat. I haven't seen anything from yesterday's game yet but good to hear that we played well. Still can't see us staying up though.
      Barmy Bobby opted for a three-man front-line at Twerton, which I suppose could be seen as showing intent, even if we hadn't tried such tactics all season. But when the three are Colin West, Paul Williams and Adrian Foster, it totally defeats the object.

Apart from the very brief post-Woking spell under Stuart Pearson, we were utter rubbish all season.

Comment

I don't recall Stuart Pearson as a manager at all. In fact I don't recall him as anything since the early 80s.

Comment

Spurs just gone 2-0 up.

Clearly they could score a lot of goals against Sheffield United but the Mourinho way is to just do enough to kill the game so they will probably be defending for the rest of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
            I don't recall Stuart Pearson as a manager at all. In fact I don't recall him as anything since the early 80s.
            He was on the WBA coaching staff under Brian Talbot from 1988-1991. Don Goodman later gave him much of the credit for his prolific seasons in 88/89 and 89/90.

When Talbot got the sack after the infamous Woking defeat, Pearson had a spell as caretaker. It was only 7 games, but he picked up a couple of wins and draws and got the ream playing half-decent football. The fans wanted him to carry on and expressly didn't want Bobby Gould appointed. The Albion board appointed Bobby Gould. Happy days.

The other club I associate Pearson with post-playing career is Northwich Victoria. Without looking at his Wiki page, I've an idea he managed there for a time.
            Last edited by jameswba; 17-01-2021, 15:24.

Comment

Brilliant finish by Ndombole for Spurs, but Sheffield United keep losing possession in their own half, and have been punished twice for it.

Comment

Norwood has had a shocker and so has Ramsdale. Keeper wouldn't fill me with confidence at all if I was in defence.

Comment

League leaders Man United beaten 2-1 away at their closest rivals, who now go top instead on goal difference. That being Chelsea Women, and the WSL, of course. What did you think I was referring to...?

Goals from Pernille Harder on a rebound after Fran Kirby had hit the post (30 mins), a Lauren James solo effort (all Lauren James goals are solo efforts) levelled things on 61, but four minutes later a long clearance/punt forward from Chelsea ‘keeper Ann-Kartin Berger turned into the perfect ball over the top for Kirby to run through on and win the game.

Comment

2-0 to Liverpool, I reckon - Solskjaer will take the Eastlands strategy of parking the bus, but Mane and Salah will ultimately punish a lack of ambition.

Comment

Before the teams were announced I'd have said a low scoring draw with at least one penalty. Looking at the midfield Liverpool have put out, I'd be leaning towards a Man U win, maybe 2-1.

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
                        Before the teams were announced I'd have said a low scoring draw with at least one penalty. Looking at the midfield Liverpool have put out, I'd be leaning towards a Man U win, maybe 2-1.
                        We can't put two passes together. Or one, even.

Comment

The way Liverpool are dominating possession this has 1-0 or 2-0 to United all over it. Firmino's wasted two great chances already.

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post
                            The way Liverpool are dominating possession this has 1-0 or 2-0 to United all over it. Firmino's wasted two great chances already.
                            Make that 3. Fucking useless.

Comment

That was very frustrating

Comment

TBF, neither of them deserved to win, so only Man City will be happy.

Comment

A mate just texted me. "I like the way LFC and MUFC are getting around the 'no celebrating' rule by making sure there's nothing to celebrate."

Glad I didn't watch it. I was worried about it exacerbating my anxiety, when actually it might have put me into a coma.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                                    A mate just texted me. "I like the way LFC and MUFC are getting around the 'no celebrating' rule by making sure there's nothing to celebrate."

Glad I didn't watch it. I was worried about it exacerbating my anxiety, when actually it might have put me into a coma.
                                    It wasn't a boring game.

Comment

As usual, I fell asleep. But I did manage to see the last 10 minutes.

I think it might finally be time to my transfer my unrequited love from Dirk Kuyt to Thiago Silva.

He might once have been described as a "Rolls Royce of a player". Seems like a very pleasant young man too.

Comment

United should have won through one of their two clear opportunities. Didn't think Fabinho and Henderson did too badly at all at centre back, but Liverpool were so poor going forward. Surprised Origi wasn't brought on earlier. Shaw had a very good game and Lindelof and Maguire looked solid enough. Here's hoping Leicester win the title.

Comment

I hope Everton do.

They won't.

Comment

Originally posted by Logan Mountstuart View Post
                                            As usual, I fell asleep. But I did manage to see the last 10 minutes.

I think it might finally be time to my transfer my unrequited love from Dirk Kuyt to Thiago Silva.

He might once have been described as a "Rolls Royce of a player". Seems like a very pleasant young man too.
                                            Do you mean Thiago Alcantara?
                                            Thiago Silva is Chelsea's archaic defender.

Comment

Surprised Origi wasn't brought on earlier.
                                              Have you seen him play this season? He makes "off the pace and can't be arsed" seem like a generous compliment.

Comment

Wait until Logan finds out that Thiago is Mazinho's son, and was born in Italy when he his dad was at Lecce

Comment

And Rafinha's brother to boot.

Comment

And made of fine leather.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X