No announcement yet.

Peterborough United: 'Season of Vengeance' - Div 3 2020-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, of course you're right about Churchmans. I had a brain fade. It was named after a cigarette factory owned by brothers called Churchman (I had to look that up). We were long time East Stand standers, then season ticket holders in the East Stand and then eventually West Stand (ironically at the Churchmans End of that stand).
    Last edited by Uncle Ethan; 31-08-2020, 03:35.

Comment

Old Trafford...how many more separate stadia - in this example football and cricket - share the same name?

Comment

Did Fleetwood play at Highbury when Arsenal played at Highbury?

Comment

Newcastle and Exeter's grounds are only an apostrophe away from having the same name, of course.

Comment

Doncaster Rovers (1922 - 2006) and Wakefield Trinity RLFC (late 19th century - present) both played at grounds called Belle Vue. Both stadiums were named after the suburb in which the ground was located.

The stadiums were only about 20 miles apart.

Comment

Originally posted by Me Old Flower View Post
              Doncaster Rovers (1922 - 2006) and Wakefield Trinity RLFC (late 19th century - present) both played at grounds called Belle Vue. Both stadiums were named after the suburb in which the ground was located.

The stadiums were only about 20 miles apart.
              Any connection with Belle Vue speedway (Manchester)?
              Last edited by Sporting; 31-08-2020, 08:57.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ethan View Post
                they sold most of the team to pay for it
                That seems like an eminently sensible way to do things, for my money.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
                  Did Fleetwood play at Highbury when Arsenal played at Highbury?
                  The answer would appear to be yes. Apparently they've played on the site since 1939 and the reason it looks so modern is because it was pretty much all redeveloped in 2007.

Comment

Stoke and Hartlepool both played at grounds named Victoria until the former moved.

Comment

And Hartlepool changed theirs to Victoria Park.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

Any connection with Belle Vue speedway (Manchester)?
                        Not that I'm aware of, there are a few districts in the UK that share the name and the old dog/speedway track was in Manchester's - as is it's replacement.

Rhyl's ground is also called Belle Vue.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post

The answer would appear to be yes. Apparently they've played on the site since 1939 and the reason it looks so modern is because it was pretty much all redeveloped in 2007.
                          Was it always called Highbury?

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post

Was it always called Highbury?
                            As far as I can tell, yes.

The history of Fleetwood is pretty patchy to find pre this century.
                            Last edited by Greenlander; 31-08-2020, 10:03.

Comment

The current Fleetwood is, what, the fourth incarnation?

Comment

Rotherham used to play at Millmoor and Sporting Gijon have always played at El Molinon. Any more mill grounds out there?

Comment

Field Mill, Mansfield for starters.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

Not that I'm aware of, there are a few districts in the UK that share the name and the old dog/speedway track was in Manchester's - as is it's replacement.

Rhyl's ground is also called Belle Vue.
                                    Consett were another club that played at a ground called Belle Vue. They moved to a new ground a few years ago, which they chose to call Belle View.
                                    Last edited by Southport Zeb; 31-08-2020, 11:03.

Comment

Belle-Vue was the Vandenstock family brewery and the source of the funds Constant used to buy Anderlecht and bribe officials all over Europe

Comment

Uncle Ethan, thanks for that explanation. I always quite liked the name and wondered where it had come from.

Ipswich fans always had the two ends when I visited Portman Road, but the Churchmans was the quieter of the two, despite being closer to the away fans.

As to the Hawthorns - and how many grounds are named after bushes or trees that once proliferated in their neighbourhood? - there is the Smethwick End, Birmingham Road End and Halford's Lane Stand. Nothing very unusual there.

The newish stand on the east side of the ground is boringly called the East Stand, but its predecessor, a fairly dour looking 50s construction, used to be known by Albion fans as the Rainbow Stand. The club decided, some time in the 60s I think, to paint the seats in various colours to brighten the whole thing up a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by jameswba View Post

As to the Hawthorns - and how many grounds are named after bushes or trees that once proliferated in their neighbourhood?
                                          There are two defunct league grounds named after vegetation - Reading's Elm Park and Swansea's Vetch Field.

It was only recently when reading what was in my green manure seeds that I realised vetch was a plant (in the pea family). Previously I'd assumed Swansea built their ground on Farmer Vetch's land.

Comment

Thanks. Elm Park was a pretty obvious one, but I too would never have known vetch was a plant. Also remembered after posting that there was a discussion about Oakwell earlier in the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                              Newcastle and Exeter's grounds are only an apostrophe away from having the same name, of course.
                                              Brackley Town also play at St James Park.

Comment

A club that shares its name with a (deceased) commentator.

Comment

Explosive start for Wimbledon, who take the lead at Sixfields within 22 seconds.

Comment

*Tentatively steps into the thread*

Hi gang, I've not been in here for a while, but this is the place for me to talk about my club, seeing as the off field burning clown car shitshow continues unabated down at Estadio Phonebox. It seems L1 is the place where shithouse owners bring their clubs to stagnate or die.

Yes, the loveable cuddly Egyptians are still clinging onto the club like the UK government clings onto reality, they still maintain that we're for sale but with next to no saleable assets left, we're still needing them to drop their asking price.

Still, it was nice to start with a win today. Grant McCann got so far out of his depth after the resumption of games last season, he really shouldn't still be here. But he's made a couple of canny looking signings (Blackburn fans are grieving badly over losing Richie Smallwood), and with maybe another striker and an attacking midfielder on board, we might not do too badly. Although the possibility of it going tits up is lurking in the background, definitely.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X