Peterborough United: 'Season of Vengeance' - Div 3 2020-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jumbo McGinnis View Post

I had a brief look at the opening dayers but that was as far as it went.
    Portsmouth Away filled me with meh.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
      "Charlton’s game against [Doncaster] Rovers at the Valley on 19 September has been put forward as a test event."

https://www.bt.com/sport/news/2020/a...to-let-fans-in
      Assuming this will be home fans only, which seems a little unfair on Rovers, and will be particularly annoying as it's my nearest away game all season. Add this to the list of favourable decisions going Charlton's way on our visits there in recent years.

(Others including being made to take a play-off penalty shoot-out in front of their fans, despite winning the toss to have it at our end; and having a match abandoned due to rain at half-time when Rovers were 3-1 up, and Charlton had clearly given up and started championing the abandonment instead at 2-0).

Comment

Originally posted by Uros Predic View Post

Assuming this will be home fans only, which seems a little unfair on Rovers, and will be particularly annoying as it's my nearest away game all season. Add this to the list of favourable decisions going Charlton's way on our visits there in recent years.

(Others including being made to take a play-off penalty shoot-out in front of their fans, despite winning the toss to have it at our end; and having a match abandoned due to rain at half-time when Rovers were 3-1 up, and Charlton had clearly given up and started championing the abandonment instead at 2-0).
        Considering Charlton drew 1.1 after they gave up, maybe they should have played on.

Comment

Valuable protest at Charlton, but a distinct lack of social distancing:

https://twitter.com/charltonprotest

Comment

I get their protests and can sympathise with them, having had six years of poor ownership but I don’t get them fawning over some other bloke, this time a Danish born American based one. They’ve been here before. First it was Duchatelet, then this Tahnoon Nimer and Matt Southall and now it’s this Thomas Sandgaard. After six years of poor ownership and knowing from personal experience and looking elsewhere at owners at other clubs, I would be sceptical about another new owner and the EFL’s fit and proper testing process.

Comment

Wimbledon's short term groundshare at Loftus Road now officially announced :

https://twitter.com/afcwimbledon/status/1298258732967632901?s=21

Comment

What the fuck is that stadium sponsor?

Comment

Kiyan Prince was a youth team player at QPR who was murdered in a stabbing. A foundation was set up in his name to attempt to reduce knife crime.

Comment

Kiyan Prince was a QPR youth player knifed and killed outside his school in London in 2006. The foundation is his dad's life work since, really, working in the area of knife crime. The club gifted the naming of the stadium last year.

Comment

I was about to pile in on the sponsor's name, but that's really decent of QPR.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                        What the fuck is that stadium sponsor?
                        My word, you’ve had a stinker there.

Comment

So I see. Thanks for the corrections, folks.

Comment

I'm really at ease with stadium sponsorship (as long as the company is reputable of course), especially when it's just naming a stadium that's been around for years. Cheltenham's ground is now on it's 4th sponsor and I still don't know anyone who doesn't still call it Whaddon Road - which it's never officially been called at any time anyway.

Comment

If only MacAnthony had said 'Screaming for Vengeance'

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
                                I'm really at ease with stadium sponsorship (as long as the company is reputable of course), especially when it's just naming a stadium that's been around for years. Cheltenham's ground is now on it's 4th sponsor and I still don't know anyone who doesn't still call it Whaddon Road - which it's never officially been called at any time anyway.
                                Same thing has happened at Shrewsbury. It has always been the New Meadow. Initially it was the ProStar Stadium. Nobody called it that. More recent sponsorship have been 'the something something Meadow' e.g. Greenhous Meadow; Montgomery Waters Meadow.

Ironically, while it was a greenfield site. it was never actually a meadow, unlike Gay Meadow.

Comment

I've always liked the fact that if you didn't know better, you would think that the James Hargreaves Stand at Turf Moor was named after an ex-player.

Comment

Am I right in thinking that before the rebuild, Burnley's stand were the Cricket Stand, Bob Lord Stand, Longside and Beehole End?

If I am right (which I'm now doubting), then I think you are the only team (other than Barnsley) where I can name every end.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

Same thing has happened at Shrewsbury. It has always been the New Meadow. Initially it was the ProStar Stadium. Nobody called it that. More recent sponsorship have been 'the something something Meadow' e.g. Greenhous Meadow; Montgomery Waters Meadow.

Ironically, while it was a greenfield site. it was never actually a meadow, unlike Gay Meadow.
                                      Yes, it can become an issue when it's a new stadium that immediately takes on the name of a sponsor. Does any Arsenal supporter, or anyone else for that matter, call their stadium by its proper name? Having the stadium's proper name as part of the sponsored name helps, though it can backfire. When we moved into our new stadium, 25 years ago this week as it happens, it was called the Cellnet Riverside Stadium. To this day, some people call it the Cellnet. I think we've done this.

Comment

That is a truth of general application and the reason why clubs have been able to exact a premium for naming rights at new grounds ever since the market was first established.

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
                                          Yes, it can become an issue when it's a new stadium that immediately takes on the name of a sponsor. Does any Arsenal supporter, or anyone else for that matter, call their stadium by its proper name? Having the stadium's proper name as part of the sponsored name helps, though it can backfire. When we moved into our new stadium, 25 years ago this week as it happens, it was called the Cellnet Riverside Stadium. To this day, some people call it the Cellnet. I think we've done this.
                                          The proper name for Arsenal's stadium being Ashburton Grove? That's why I try and use, just as I do with the City of Manchester Stadium for Man City.

Comment

I think so. Though I'd probably believe it if someone said it doesn't actually have a proper name.

Comment

When Southampton left the Dell, they officially moved to the Friends Provident Stadium. Thankfully the locals considered that too much of a mouthful, so uniformly called it St Marys (apart from a few who called it the new Dell), until Friends Provident realised that they were wasting their money, and pulling the plug.

Nowadays I have to resort who upbraiding anyone who refers to the local cricket ground as The Ageas Bowl instead of The Rose Bowl. Although I will accept That Place That's Impossible To Get To By Public Transport as a name for that.

Comment

I think Emirates got the deal in long before it was ready to host matches but I'm pretty sure I recall it being Ashburton Grove while it was being built.

For UEFA matches it gets called Arsenal Stadium which is very confusing because that's the name of the ground that was at Highbury.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                  That is a truth of general application and the reason why clubs have been able to exact a premium for naming rights at new grounds ever since the market was first established.
                                                  And why I'm pleased we don't have a sponsor for the new gaff.

Comment

I like the idea of, as with Cellnet, naming grounds after defunct companies.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X