Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uncle Ethan
    replied
    I'm still not convinced Cook is the right fit for the new owners and CEO. Hope I am proven comprehensively wrong.

Leave a comment:

• David Agnew
    replied
    Originally posted by Foot of Astaire's View Post
    I see Ipswich went goal crazy after their recent barren spell. It'll be interesting to see what business Cook does there over the summer after his recent comments.
    He's released eight players, one of which (Tristan Nydam) was a huge surprise, considering he's just returned from a really bad broken ankle, and Cook has talked him up. Biggest surprise of those who have been given extensions is Aaron Drinan. A forward who has one goal (from a block tackle, rather than a shot), and no assists, and very little ability. He's not quite the worst forward I've ever seen for Ipswich, as Oli Hawkins still has a year to run on his contract.

Player of the season James Wilson has also gone, but he'd not really featured under Cook, and had only played 18 games all season. For all Cook's talk of being demolition man, and being unhappy with our attacking options, six of the released have been defensive, with only Freddie Sears (rarely featured under Cook) and Alan Judge (our best attacking player since the turn of the year) being attacking.players.

Cook said he prefers having a smaller squad, and we've still got 20 first teamers, unless certain players whose contracts aren't up this summer are paid up (Jon Nolan, Oli Hawkins and Tomas Holy being possible contenders). Its been suggested that we've taken up an option of an extra year on Kayden Jackson and Janoi Donacien's contracts because we received cash offers for them in January, but whether anyone will come back with more for them seems a bit hopeful, especially in the case of Jackson, who works hard, but looks utterly bereft of confidence.

All a bit odd, really.

Leave a comment:

• Sean of the Shed
    replied
    You do realise Fleetwood away will now be a Tuesday night in February, right?

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post

And what is wrong with Fleetwood, might I ask? To be fair you can always stay in Blackpool and take the tram into Fleetwood.
    That's a fair point. Blackpool to go up then.

Leave a comment:

• Sean of the Shed
    replied
    Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

I don't really have anything against Blackpool but I'm yet to manage a seaside weekend with my brother and mates so if they go up then that's ruled out for at least another season.
    And what is wrong with Fleetwood, might I ask? To be fair you can always stay in Blackpool and take the tram into Fleetwood.

Leave a comment:

• Foot of Astaire's
    replied
    I see Ipswich went goal crazy after their recent barren spell. It'll be interesting to see what business Cook does there over the summer after his recent comments.

Leave a comment:

• RobW
    replied
    Originally posted by TonTon View Post
    Yeah what happened to the commentary?
    Radio Lincolnshire have habitually fucked up commentary by pressing the wrong button and playing ads during the game. Think they missed a goal the first time it happened. I don't know why it takes 4 minutes for them to sort out but at least it was The Charlatans yesterday and not an ad for the morning show.

Leave a comment:

• Fearful Symmetry
    replied
    So, that was the season. An actual trophy in the trophy cabinet. A season that could easily have gone tits up at certain points, but actually saw us put our foot down and capitalise on others inconsistency. And bearing in mind the difficulties of bigger clubs in getting out of this league, to do it straight off isn't to be sniffed at, I guess.

As many learned judges have said, the jump from L1 to Championship seems to be getting tougher all the time, so we've definitely got our work cut out. But with a hungry young core of players, a couple of reasonable additions might be enough to steer us into calm waters next season. Whatever happens, it probably won't be boring.

So long, League 1, and thanks for all the fish.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    17th for Salop. Been nailed on since February.

I have selfish reasons for not wanting any of the play off teams to go up so won't be rooting for any of them.

I would like a crack at going to the Stadium of Light to watch Shrewsbury there, so another season for Sunderland in League One would be great.

Not really forgiven Oxford for their referee-assisted win at the Meadow in 2020 which was the last game I went to before lockdown. Similarly Lincoln for the thuggery at Wembley. However if either of them go up it will be an interesting watch to see if either can survive as that would be a template Salop could learn from if they are in contention for promotion next year.

I don't really have anything against Blackpool but I'm yet to manage a seaside weekend with my brother and mates so if they go up then that's ruled out for at least another season.

Leave a comment:

• ale
    replied
    Originally posted by RobW View Post
    Guess it's a decent time to play Sunderland. Their form worse marginally worse than ours at the moment. Two tight games at the SoL already this season (league and Papa John's). The less said about the game at Sincil Bank the better. Brennan Johnson missed two one on ones that day, and he hasn't improved, missing a great chance today. Walsh and Jackson got useful game time, Bridcutt played 90 minutes and Johnson and Rogers looked sharp, in an otherwise tepid game. At least I no longer have to listen to Radio Lincolnshire balls up a game again (though hearing The Charlatans rather than Hortin and Thommo was blessed relief).

Least we're playing on the Wednesday night too, so I can play football on the Tuesday. Rather annoying that it's a 6pm kick off though, especially as they'll be letting fans back in, some of whom may have to make a mad rush from work or leave early.
    With you all the way.

Leave a comment:

• ale
    replied
    Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
    I don't really want us to stay up. It would be a travesty. But I hope we beat Derby and Rotherham send them down too.

What I actually think will happen is that Derby and Wednesday will play out a tense appalling error strewn draw and Rotherham will fail to beat Cardiff and Derby will stay up
    What are next week lottery numbers?

Leave a comment:

• TonTon
    replied
    Originally posted by Jimski View Post
    It's a cricketing phrase. A flat track in cricket is one on which it's easy to score runs. So a flat track bully describes a batsman who thrives when the going is easy, but tends to do badly as soon as the going gets tough. (It was much used about Graeme Hick at one point.)
    Ta.

Leave a comment:

• Jimski
    replied
    And yeah, that game against you was one of just three out of the sixteen games against sides in the bottom 8 that we didn't win (all of which we lost, actually). The others being to Northampton, and (argh) Swindon.

Leave a comment:

• Jimski
    replied
    It's a cricketing phrase. A flat track in cricket is one on which it's easy to score runs. So a flat track bully describes a batsman who thrives when the going is easy, but tends to do badly as soon as the going gets tough. (It was much used about Graeme Hick at one point.)

Leave a comment:

• TonTon
    replied
    Didn't bully us the other week.

(What does the "flat-track" do in that phrase?)

Leave a comment:

• Jimski
    replied
    Originally posted by Jimski View Post
    Whatever nef says, it wasn't tension-free for me! Oxford in the playoffs, but our record against the better sides in this division suggests it's difficult task ahead for us.
    Just checked back over our results this season. Our only win in 16 games against other sides in the top 9 was the 2-1 over Lincoln. We got where we were by being ruthless with sides lower in the table. Just don't say "flat track bullies", please!

Leave a comment:

• TonTon
    replied
    Yeah what happened to the commentary?

Leave a comment:

• RobW
    replied
    Guess it's a decent time to play Sunderland. Their form worse marginally worse than ours at the moment. Two tight games at the SoL already this season (league and Papa John's). The less said about the game at Sincil Bank the better. Brennan Johnson missed two one on ones that day, and he hasn't improved, missing a great chance today. Walsh and Jackson got useful game time, Bridcutt played 90 minutes and Johnson and Rogers looked sharp, in an otherwise tepid game. At least I no longer have to listen to Radio Lincolnshire balls up a game again (though hearing The Charlatans rather than Hortin and Thommo was blessed relief).

Least we're playing on the Wednesday night too, so I can play football on the Tuesday. Rather annoying that it's a 6pm kick off though, especially as they'll be letting fans back in, some of whom may have to make a mad rush from work or leave early.

Leave a comment:

• Jimski
    replied
    Whatever nef says, it wasn't tension-free for me! Oxford in the playoffs, but our record against the better sides in this division suggests it's difficult task ahead for us.

If it's not Oxford, then I'd like to see Lincoln promoted. Mainly due to the Michael Appleton factor, but also just always quite liked Lincoln (even though there was a brief 'thing' with them by some of our fans way back.) Get the feelng Sunderland will do it though.

Leave a comment:

• TonTon
    replied
    I kinda like Lincoln, sort of generally and without really knowing why. Maybe it's an imp thing, dunno.

With Blackpool it's the excellent and ultimately successful campaign against the Oystons.

Oxford's a no cos or the evil Robinson, obvs.

Sunderland's a no cos I like to keep hold of the bigger clubs. Especially those that exude the "we're better than this" vibe.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    I want Lincoln up, especially after the disgusting dive and penalty that cost them the chance of automatic promotion last weekend.

Also, I've not been to Blackpool or Sunderland's grounds so selfishly would like the chance to visit both next season but have visited Sincil Bank before.

I'd be happy for the excuse not to go back to the Kassam another time but...Karl Robinson.

Leave a comment:

• Nefertiti2
    replied
    Oxford win 4-0 against Burton, biggest concern the excellent Sam Long went off with a hamstring injury two thirds of the way through the game.

Apparently the Accrington keeper had an excellent game,

Tthe fact that both Accrington and Oxford scored early meant that it was a relatively tension-free afternoon.

Leave a comment:

• TonTon
    replied
    Not sure if I'm supporting Blackpool or Lincoln tbh.

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    I temporarily retract all the negative things I've said about Karl Robinson (unless and until we lose in the playoffs).

Leave a comment:

• TonTon
    replied
    So it looks like Oxford taking the final playoff spot. Another season in the third division for Pompey.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X