• Show
Clear All

Real Madrid and Brazil

Comment

Real Madrid and Brazil.

Comment

milan and brazil

Comment

Milan 86-90** v Real Madrid 55-60 - Recognising the strength Milan have in the centre of the pitch with Ancelotti and Rijkaard, Madrid aim to move the ball up the wings, with Gento and Puskas on the right and Kopa and del Sol on the left. For Milan, though, Donadoni on the left of their midfield and Colombo on the right prove able to break up most of Madrid's play, backed up by Maldini and Tassotti respectively, and the game becomes a stalemate as di Stefano is forced to drop deeper and deeper to help fend off the threat of the free-roaming Gullitt. Milan, for their part, try little more than hopeful through balls up to Van Basten, easily dealt with by Real's deep lying back three. Midway through the second half, a Rijkaard ball finally finds van Basten on the corner of the box, who in one movement turns outside Santamaria and chips a cross over to find Gullitt unmarked in the box to rifle home. Real redouble their efforts to push forward, but Milan have now brought almost everyone back in defence and with a minute to go Baresi brings the ball out of defence, and threads a long pass upfield which van Basten hares through onto alone to add a second. 2-0 Milan.

France 82-84* v Brazil 1970 - France take an early lead as Tigana latches onto a rebound from a free-kick and scores from 20 yards. Brazil are soon back into a relaxed rhythm though, and score one of the goals of the tournament as Clodoaldo robs Giresse in midfield, and some swift passing leads to Rivelino cutting the ball back for Tostao to tap in from close range. Brazil then take a controversial lead as Bossis is adjudged to have handled a cross from Jairzinho and Pele rifles the penalty straight down the middle of the goal as Bats dives. France create chances in the second half, the best of them falling to Platini who sees a curling free kick thump back off a post and Bellone, who with three minutes to go is found in space in the area but fires his shot straight at Felix, and are unable to equalise. 2-1 Brazil.
          Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 03-04-2020, 10:01.

Comment

Milan/Brazil

Comment

For me Milan and Brazil. It's worth noting as an anecdote that in 1971 Brazil played 7 full international matches, winning twice and drawing five times (all games at home). In 1972 they were similarly unbeaten in 8 games, winning 6 of them, one of which was against Hamburg and another against a Scottish team who lined up with: Bobby Clark, Alex Forsyth, Martin Buchan, Edmond Colquhoun, Willie Donachie - Billy Bremner, Asa Hartford, George Graham - Willie Morgan, Denis Law, Lou Macari. Not a bad side, if a mite Man Utd-heavy.

Comment

Real Madrid and Brazil.

Comment

I reckon Milan have a defence capable of dealing with Real's attacking threat, but I don't think France have one that can cope with Brazil's.
                  A 1-0 win for Milan and a 4-1 win for Brazil.

Comment

Before Sunday's final, I think there should be a poll on where it should be played. Clearly the Maracana, Stade de France (as it is now), San Siro and Bernabeu are all excluded. If it's simple most seconds from multiple nominations I'll put forward 1980s Wembley and the modern Camp Nou (which while not country neutral would not exactly favour Real).

Comment

Milan 86-90** v Real Madrid 55-60 - 1
                      France 82-84* v Brazil 1970 - 2

Comment

Milan (I mean, I nominated them and everything) and Brazil for me.

As for venues for the final - Azteca as first choice, Westfalenstadion second.

Comment

2 - Milan 86-90** v Real Madrid 55-60
                          2 - France 82-84* v Brazil 1970

Comment

Azteca for me.

Comment

1970s Baseball Ground

Comment

Originally posted by Southport Zeb View Post
                                1970s Baseball Ground
                                Lol

Comment

Time is up.

Comment

As it turns out I got my calculations wrong and the final will be on Saturday evening, and will be held in the 1986 Azteca in the sunshine with the spider shadow on the pitch.
                                    Tonight's 3rd plce play-off will be at old Wembley with the Grenadier Guards marching band performing the anthems.

Comment

Results from the semi-finals:

Milan 86-90** 10-7 Real Madrid 55-60
                                      France 82-84* 0-17 Brazil 1970

Comment

3rd place play off:

Real Madrid 55-60 v France 82-84*

Comment

Real Madrid

Comment

Yeah, agreed Real Madrid for me as well

Comment

Another for Real Madrid

Comment

Real Madrid v France - As is often the way with third place playoffs, the game hardly ever feels truly competitive, and Michel Platini and Raymond Kopa appear to spend half the game exchanging jokes in midfield. The Wembley crowd is hugely entertained by a free-flowing game neither team was able to demonstrate in the semi-finals, however, and Real Madrid lead 3-2 at half time with an Alfredo di Stefano hat-trick which makes him the tournament's top scorer so far, despite Jairzinho's five goals against Lincoln in the group stages. France equalise after a mazy run out of defence by Tresor ends up finding Rocheteau who cuts inside and finds Didier Six, who blasts in. Both teams relax knowing penalties are coming, and when they do, the French look far too relaxed as Bossis, Tigana and Six all miss to allow Real to win the shootout 3-1 without even taking their fourth kick.
                                                Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 03-04-2020, 19:45.

Comment

Real Madrid for me.

Comment

France

Comment

Working...
                                                    X