Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brazil

Comment

Brazil take an early lead when Jairzinho skins Maldini and leaves Pele with a tap in. Milan equalise with a terrific move, as Rijkard, Donadoni and Ancelotti combine ,with a pin point cross by the latter headed home by Van Basten.

The second half is a tense affair, culminating with Costacurta and Clodoaldo receiving red cards after the former clatters Pele once too often and the latter takes justice into his own hands.

As the game looks like going to extra time, Milan strike late, a long range Donadoni strike is fumbled by Felix,and Gullit reacts quickest to fire home the winner.

Comment

Milan

Comment

Brazil were magical in 1970.

but AC milan with Baresi and maldini and Gullit and the incomparable Marco van Basten remain my favoirite great team.

i have Milan to win a thriller 3-2 in a game worthy of the tournament.

Comment

Hmmm, that Brazil team versus Berlusconi's expensively assembled team of galacticos? 7-1 to Brazil.

Comment

I suppose for many of us this is a contest between memory and myth, a team we saw versus a team of the archives. (I don't think I've ever watched Brazil's 1970 group games, except for England's heroic Dunkirk-style victory).

I'll give my vote to Milan.

Comment

As good as Brazil were they aren't going to rip Milan apart. Milan weren't just about Dutch attacking flair, that defence of Tassotti, Costacurta, Baresi and Maldini were pretty solid and hard to break down.
                Rather than a repeat of the final I see this more likely resembling the group game against England, with Brazil edging it 1-0.

Comment

Milan

Comment

Milan

Comment

Brazil

Comment

Tough to call, and although I’m just about old enough that Pelé remains my favourite player, Milan’s all-round strength and nous would expose the slightly less regimented Brazilian rearguard.

Milan 2-1 AET

Comment

The final.

Milan kick off, and are quick to pass the ball around, ensuring everyone, including keeper Galli, gets an early touch of the ball. Even in the early stages, it appears Milan have assigned Costacurta the duty of man-marking Pele, as the centre-half follows his man around the pitch, pulling Milan's normal flat back four out of line.

Brazil, meanwhile, are unsure of how to deal with the free-roaming Gullitt, and in the twelfth minute this is exploited as Colombo and Rijkaard link up to pass to the Dutchman on the right side of the box, who cuts back to find Donadoni sprinting in to beat Felix to put Milan 1-0 up.

Brazil then push forward, and win a free kick. Gerson floats the ball toward the far post and Maldini heads half clear, only to find Jairzinho who spectacularly volleys home an equaliser from the edge of the box.

Van Basten has a good chance in space on 35 minutes and appears to be wrestled to the ground by Brito, but referee Mr Aston waves away appeals for a penalty. However, just moments later, Paolo Maldini makes a run up the left, cuts past Carlos Alberto, and swings a cross over that the Dutch striker rises to nod back across Felix and in, to give Milan a 2-1 lead at half time.

After the half-time show by Taylor Swift and U2 (an innovation for this tournament, and largely although not universally welcomed) Brazil start determinedly. Clodoaldo picks up a ball in midfield, beats Ancelotti, and with Pele pulling Costacurta out of position slides the ball sideways for Tostao to calmly slide the ball underneath Galli to make it 2-2.

Worse is to come for Milan on 60 minutes as Gerson robs Colombo on the left and sets off on a run that is ended only by Tassotti upending him on the edge of the area. After Milan take some time setting their wall, Gerson himself runs to take the kick, causing the Italian wall to jump, but leaves it for Rivellino to craftily tuck the ball in under them past a wrong-footed and static Galli. Milan are furious as the Brazilians wheel away to celebrate and Mr Aston is forced to book Carlo Ancellotti.

Milan push forward and with only five minutes remaining, Rijkaard finds Gullitt on the right, who beats Everaldo and cuts the ball back to van Basten. His shot is beaten away by Felix but falls to Rijkaard, who had continued his run and blasts the ball into the roof of the net over the head of the diving defender Piazza to make it 3-3.

Extra time looms. But with seconds to go, and Mr Aston looking at his linesmen, Clodoaldo passes to Jairzinho on the right. As Maldini goes to challenge, Jairzinho without even looking up hooks a cross perfectly toward the penalty spot. As Franco Baresi backpedals to try to head clear, however, Pele finally shakes off the attentions of Costacurta for long enough to rise into an overhead kick that flies into the top corner of Galli's goal and leave Milan stunned. 4-3 to Brazil.

All that is left is for Pele (now sporting a Sombrero presented to him by one of the many pitch invaders) to receive the trophy from the tournament President, Mr of the Shed, to huge applause and fireworks.
                          Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 05-04-2020, 16:27.

Comment

Can't top that post! Brazil for me too, with Gerson and Clodoaldo outstanding.

Comment

Outstanding effort Rogin. I disagree with your result but can’t fault the rest.

Just one question: Taylor and U2 together or separately?

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                Outstanding effort Rogin. I disagree with your result but can’t fault the rest.

Just one question: Taylor and U2 together or separately?
                                Together. She sings With or Without You, and then Bono warbles "She Moves in Mysterious Ways" at her while she dances, before they join together to duet "In the Name of Love", revising the lyric to "early evening, April 4th, shots ring out, in an Aztec sky..."

Comment

Brazil

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post

Together. She sings With or Without You, and then Bono warbles "She Moves in Mysterious Ways" at her while she dances, before they join together to duet "In the Name of Love", revising the lyric to "early evening, April 4th, shots ring out, in an Aztec sky..."
                                    For proper equality, if Tay’s singing With Or Without You Bongo should do Shake It Off. Come on, you can’t argue with that premise.

Comment

Not "Our Song" then !

Comment

Milan

Comment

Enjoyed this competition in these strange times. Special mention to those who contributed the entertaining match descriptions, especially Rogin. And huge thanks to Mr. Sean of the Shed for the whole thing.

Got to be Brazil for me.

Comment

Very tough call, but Brazil...just.

Comment

Shouldn't need saying, but Brazil

Comment

"The trophy itself, a twelve inch high thin gold column topped with a 4 inch wide glass replica of the coronavirus, has been criticised by some, but I don't know, I think it fits the global mood. Brian? Jimmy? Alan? What do you think about it?"
                                                Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 05-04-2020, 14:28.

Comment

Brazil's weeks of preparation with NASA leave them better able to cope with the altitude and the effects of repeated time machine usage. 2-1 after extra time.

Comment

Brazil

Comment

Working...
                                                    X