Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 Colours Red
    replied
    ...wearing a pair of Stoke City shorts, which is odd considering he never played for them and I doubt there's much demand for replicas in the French market.

Another Vahirua fact: he took the corner which lead to Tahiti's only goal at the 2013 Confederations Cup.

Leave a comment:

• Pérou Flaquettes
    replied
    Ex U21 French international (and ex Nantes, Nice, Lorient) Marama Vahirua, 38, still playing, for Tahitian club AS Dragon (his cousin Pascal Vahirua is probably more well-known abroad). Some of you, the more internationally-discerning OFTers on here, may remember him for his unusual and goal celebration routine, very Tahitian, clips below.

Marama Vahirua was actually playing in mainland France this weekend with his team AS Dragon for the 7th round of the French Cup, vs FC Versailles (5th tier of French football, amateurs/semi-pros). The Polynesians lost 2-0.

A game high in vintage value actually as there was also another (in)famous former pro on the pitch (playing for Versailles): the disgraced former Liverpool goalkeeper...

WARNING : DO NOT LOOK BELOW IF YOU’RE STILL FUMING AND THINK YOU KNOW WHO I MEAN.

... Charles Itandje (36, ex Lens, France U21 and Cameroon, WC 2014).

Leave a comment:

• Third rate Leszno
    replied
    Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    Cole played more than eighty games for the Rowdies over the course of three seasons.
    I went to a couple of them, he was playing at a pace that suited him and he was still effective. Playing in St.Petersburg he’d have had a fucking great lifestyle too.

Although there are quite a few ex-EFL players out there I’m still surprised that more of them don’t consider the USL/NASL as a career extending option.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Kudos to a thread favourite :

https://twitter.com/NonLeaguePaper/status/1064839646662799360

Leave a comment:

• Southport Zeb
    replied
    Originally posted by Uroš Predić View Post
    I went to watch Matlock Town on Saturday, and they had ex-every-team-in-the-East-Midlands-and-Portsmouth striker Craig Westcarr playing up front. I had committed to adding him to this thread before I realised he's two years younger than me at 33. It's a sad day.
    During his time at Kettering, Westcarr played against Southport a number of times. Following this one of the people I used to go to matches with coined the phrase "Craig Westcarritis". Absolutely no recollection of what the symptoms are.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    OK

Let's add "re-organisation or rebranding" to promotion or relegation.

Leave a comment:

• Kevin S
    replied
    Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    Cole is almost certainly the only England international with more than 50 caps to have changed leagues without changing clubs or being relegated (or promoted).

Tampa Bay left the NASL to join the then less-prestigious USL after his first season.
    <pedant>Peter Beardsley, for example, played the 1991-92 season with Everton in the Football League First Division, and the 1992-93 season with Everton in the Premier League.</pedant>

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Cole played more than eighty games for the Rowdies over the course of three seasons.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    He's been there more than one season?

Leave a comment:

• Capybara
    replied
    Now there's a challenge. Wiki tells us that Stuart Pearce was with Wealdstone from 1978 but doesn't say when he made his debut. If he turned out for them before the 79-80 season, then he played in the Southern League then the Alliance when the leagues were reorganised. Perhaps Wealdstone experts can advise. The caps, of course, came later.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Cole is almost certainly the only England international with more than 50 caps to have changed leagues without changing clubs or being relegated (or promoted).

Tampa Bay left the NASL to join the then less-prestigious USL after his first season.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Hey, we're all here to learn.

Granted, sometimes that learning is that Phil Brown has somehow been at Swindon for six months but it's all education.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Ah, my ignorance broadcast far and wide again

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
    I was surprised to hear that too. MLS definitely where players are put out to pasture now.
    Cole's team, Tampa Bay Rowdies, were playing in the USL - a level below MLS.

Leave a comment:

• Uros Predic
    replied
    I went to watch Matlock Town on Saturday, and they had ex-every-team-in-the-East-Midlands-and-Portsmouth striker Craig Westcarr playing up front. I had committed to adding him to this thread before I realised he's two years younger than me at 33. It's a sad day.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    I was surprised to hear that too. MLS definitely where players are put out to pasture now.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Oh, was Joe Cole still playing?

Leave a comment:

• Me Old Flower
    replied
    Former Aberdeen, Luton and Rapid Vienna midfielder Markus Heikkinen played the final game of his long career today here in Oulu today, retiring at the age of 40.

Once verbally agreed to join Doncaster before buggering off and signing for The Hatters instead.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    The latest WSC informs me that Julian Joachim is still playing non-league at the age of 44

Leave a comment:

• anton pulisov
    replied
    Kennedy Bakircioglu is apparently still playing, and putting in world class goal celebrations.

Well, it made my day anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Jobi1
    replied
    Possibly need to reinterpret the thread title a bit, but Alberto Gilardino is considering an offer from Piacenza. Definitely a career that didn't quite scale the heights it threatened to at times.

Leave a comment:

• 3 Colours Red
    replied
    Originally posted by blameless View Post
    Much to my surprise, Cardiff's goalscorer at Stamford Bridge today was Sol Bamba, who I saw playing for Dunfermline a loooooong time ago. Also surprisingly, he's still only 33.
    And better than Virgil van Dijk according to Colin. Not on yesterday's evidence, he's not... Dick van Dyke would probably have been better.

Leave a comment:

• blameless
    replied
    Much to my surprise, Cardiff's goalscorer at Stamford Bridge today was Sol Bamba, who I saw playing for Dunfermline a loooooong time ago. Also surprisingly, he's still only 33.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Djalminha?

Bojinov can start a punch up in a phone booth and has been rumoured to have other off-field issues.

Leave a comment:

• The Awesome Berbaslug!!!
    replied
    Djalminha! only seven clubs for him.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X