Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, that's the one.

And yeah, I agree. I like that they each learn things along the way, but nobody ever breaks character. The clothing...the mannerisms...the perspective stays consistent right through. Nobody goes native. (Twyla's 'reveal' is my favourite sleeper gag.)

As mentioned a few times, we routinely ride through the town where it was shot, and there are always a half dozen fans walking around taking pictures in front of all the buildings (which are all within 100 yards of each other).

Comment

The Fresh Prince of Bel Air reunion on HBO is remarkably touching.

Comment

Watched the Lighthouse. It was certainly an experience.

Comment

I have to say I'm well into season 3 of Schitt's Creek now and I'm not totally seeing it. I'm definitely enjoying it, but I wouldn't put it in the same class as at least half a dozen better US sitcoms. Even, say, Kimmy Schmidt is funnier on a per minute basis. I feel like it could do with halving the number of episodes but stretching them to 30 minutes.

Comment

I had a friend who watched the first 8 episodes and didn't so much as crack a smile. So clearly it ain't everyone's thing.

Comment

"had". Was that the dealbreaker?

Comment

Originally posted by gt3 View Post
                Been engrossed with the reboot of Battlestar Galactica showing on iPlayer. Up to e7 of s4. Really enjoying it. Some complex moral themes and the political and religious angles are fascinating for a sci-fi show.
                I tried to rewatch that and couldn't handle that it wasn't in HD. It's amazing how that has ruined so much old TV for me.

But it was brilliant when it was on and I'm told they are going to maybe do another BG show for Peacock. That would give me a reason to get Peacock.
                https://www.tvinsider.com/935779/bat...es-sam-esmail/

The previous prequel series, Caprica, was also very good, but it died prematurely. I guess it was just costing too much and couldn't find an audience. A lot of SyFy shows (and Sci Fi shows in general) seem to struggle with that. The Magicians ended about a year too early because it just wasn't making enough money.

But, like The Expanse, they have a better chance on streaming services so maybe there's hope for this sort of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                  I had a friend who watched the first 8 episodes and didn't so much as crack a smile. So clearly it ain't everyone's thing.
                  It took us two attempts to get past episode two but once we did we thoroughly enjoyed it.

I'm not sure I'd put it anywhere near the top of my all time list but right at this moment, with everything that's going on in the world and certainly before the relief of the US election, it was just a lovely, comforting thing to watch with sympathetic, three dimensional characters and plenty of laughs. It just felt so nice and refreshing compared to the cynicism of most recent comedy shows.

I do wonder how it will stand up to repeated viewings in the future but for right now I thought it was wonderful.

Comment

i couldn't get into Schitt's Creek at all. Nou loved it. We both agreed it has the most annoying between-scenes music since Seinfeld.

Speaking of standing the test of time, i've started Twin Peaks, the original, which i've never seen. It's doubly disorienting, watching a series that was 'out of place' when it was made and is now 'out of time' too. My expectations are different from those of a viewer in 1989, and perhaps as a result i'm struck less by the oddness and surrealism, and more by how classical it is, how much of it seems to have slipped out of an Orson Welles movie or a teen soap opera. i'm three episodes in – i've just seen Agent Cooper's famous dream, in the red room with the dancing dwarf – and have no idea what to think. For instance, the score is really invasive, distractingly so, but also brilliant and illuminating. The content of the houses – the decor, the bric a brac, the blessed drape runners – fizzes with character, while the characters themselves feel like furniture, wooden and a bit clunky. i don't know if that's genius or a flaw. It's certainly intriguing.

Comment

I liked Schitt's Creek ok, but probably not enough to watch multiple seasons of it. I'm not sure why. It just wasn't enough, somehow.

Comment

I have been reading lots of stuff about The Mandalorian because it keeps coming up on my news feed. I've watched / read at least three articles about all the "hidden Easter Eggs" in last week's episode and feel slightly disappointed that I had spotted all of them myself.

What I didn't know was that Koska Reeves, one of the Mandalorians was played by "Sasha Banks" who is a top WWE Wrestler. Her real name is Mercedes Justine Kaestner-Varnado and she is Snoop Dogg's cousin. Proper showbiz connections there. I think it's her first TV role.

Comment

WB is going to stick the new Wonder Woman film on HBO Max at Christmas and put it in theaters where it can.
                          We may look back on this as a Sinking-of-the-Lusitania moment for the movie theater industry.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                            I have been reading lots of stuff about The Mandalorian because it keeps coming up on my news feed. I've watched / read at least three articles about all the "hidden Easter Eggs" in last week's episode and feel slightly disappointed that I had spotted all of them myself.

What I didn't know was that Koska Reeves, one of the Mandalorians was played by "Sasha Banks" who is a top WWE Wrestler. Her real name is Mercedes Justine Kaestner-Varnado and she is Snoop Dogg's cousin. Proper showbiz connections there. I think it's her first TV role.
                            It's kind of ironic that a pro wrestler's stage name sounds much more common and middle-class than their real name.

Comment

We couldn't get on with 'Schitt's Creek' either. We gave it five episodes and called it a day.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony C View Post
                                called it a day.
                                I did that after the first series of 24.

Comment

We watched the first episode and the set up bored me. Ooh, really rich people suddenly have to slum it and learn to be useful. Felt like a thoroughly recycled sit for the com.

Comment

We only took a peek at Schitt’s Creek recently. Quite enjoyed the early episodes, but obviously not enough to plough on and binge our way through it. Maybe we’ll keep it in reserve and return if we run out of other stuff to watch.

Comment

Sasha really should be a massive wrestling star. She was amazing in NXT but through a combination of bad luck (Becky Lynch going over hugely almost by accident) and nepotism (Vince McMahon prefers Charlotte Flair because of her dad, her size and - let's be frank here - the fact that she's white) she never made it as huge as she deserved.

Comment

I'm on The Queen's Gambit and loving it. After revisiting Call My Agent.

Comment

Is there a new season of CMA???

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                            We watched the first episode and the set up bored me. Ooh, really rich people suddenly have to slum it and learn to be useful. Felt like a thoroughly recycled sit for the com.
                                            Not saying that you'd like it if you watched more, but that's really not what it is.

Comment

Oh yeh, I watched the Crown Season 4, hadn’t watched a whole episode before.

My reactions seem pretty standard. I bawled at Diana (whom I loved) and remembered why I’ve hated Charles since that “whatever in love means” interview. Cunt. Kept thinking how she’d be dead at 36. Hated all the animal shooting. Loved much of the witty script and Olivia Colman’s and Emma Curran’s acting.

Thatcher was played too old and too cartoony. She dressed Conservative in 79, but she was what, 50? I guess if GA played her to age, she’d be too sexy. And the voice wasn’t that deep or her delivery that slow. Thought Geoffrey Howe well-done.

Glad they made Andrew look like a cunt.

I loved the Michael Fagan episode despite its liberties with his speech an’all. It’s maybe what he’d have said if he had Jimmy McGovern writing for him. The look, feel and sounds of the 80s were pretty spot on.

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                                                Thatcher was played too old and too cartoony.
                                                Is it my imagination or does her hair get bigger and bigger with each episode?

Comment

It’s not meant to be an impersonation. I though Gillian Anderson’s version did a good job of getting across her overall vibe of lecturing people on what was supposedly in their own best interest.

British people who were alive then don’t need to be reminded, but for much of the rest of the audience, it has to be heard to be believed.

I’m still kinda amazed at what boring people the Royals generally are.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

Is it my imagination or does her hair get bigger and bigger with each episode?
                                                    That was the best bit for me.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X