Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WOM View Post

Like the one they made that has The Shining as a family rom-com named Shining.
    Yeah or the one where they turned Mary Poppins into Scary Poppins

Comment

Excellent news :

https://twitter.com/mwgonefishing/status/1331202100932571138?s=21

Comment

That’s grand.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
          I watched the pilot episode of Home and Away last night. Now I know why back in the eighties I believed I could make it as an actor - it was because I actually was better than that lot.
          You think that’s bad? We keep seeing trailers for modern day Neighbours and it makes 80s Neighbours/Home and Away look like Scorsese.

Comment

Not that anyone got clipped, but y’know.

Comment

I've commited a felony, get me out of here -

Oh let's hope the producers do hard time for this:

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...ve-species-aoe

Comment

Watched the Bake Off final last night. The catch up montage at the end was touching.

Comment

The Cold War Steve documentary on Sky Arts last night was very good. It was illuminating on the what, how, why and where of his work, with a loose structure around him trying to publicly display some large pieces around the country and encountering difficulties because of the political content. He was engaging and honest about what drives him, including his mental health. The West Midlands was a strong presence, both as a location and in the tone of the piece. The relaxed interaction between CWS and his manager might appeal to Gone Fishing fans.

Comment

We've been recording a daily podcast featuring the worst pre-digital TV that we can find since the start of the second lockdown, and it's starting to get to me, a bit.

I work pretty hard. I'm up with the kids at seven, juggling getting the older one ready for school (and then taking him) with starting my day job, cooking them three meals a day etc etc etc, trying to keep up with some writing, having some time with them and then doing their bedtime routine.

​​​I quite often don't properly flop down on the sofa until gone 10 at night, only to look at this unwieldy spreadsheet and realise that I've got to watch episodes of, say, Out of Town and That's Life from 1986 whilst taking notes before I can get some sleep.

Once it's down on to doing this weekly (after Christmas), I should be able to start recuperating from it all.

Comment

Any love here for Lovers' Rock? Completely different tone from the intense politics of the Mangrove one but I thought it was wonderful. I've never seen the anatomy of a house party - the slightly panicked setting-up, the early drinks, the awkward introductions, the aimless wandering and drinking, the isolated lairy incidents, through to the dazed early-sunlight thrills - portrayed quite so forensically and brilliantly before. Obviously about a specific scene, culture and time and place, but thoroughly resonant and evocative. Nothing much happened, and it was great.

Comment

Aye, really enjoyed it. Very nicely done. Very "sensory".

Comment

Currently on with We Are Who We Are by Luca Guadagnino (of Call Me By Your Name fame). I'm 4 episodes in and struggling with it to be honest. The characters and relationships are for the most part either insufferably irritating or just plain weird, or both. I'll probably persevere with it but I think I'm already at the point where I don't really care what happens to any of them.

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
                            Any love here for Lovers' Rock? Completely different tone from the intense politics of the Mangrove one but I thought it was wonderful. I've never seen the anatomy of a house party - the slightly panicked setting-up, the early drinks, the awkward introductions, the aimless wandering and drinking, the isolated lairy incidents, through to the dazed early-sunlight thrills - portrayed quite so forensically and brilliantly before. Obviously about a specific scene, culture and time and place, but thoroughly resonant and evocative. Nothing much happened, and it was great.
                            Yes, it was excellent. The understated scene where the guys unloading the truck get stared at judgmentally by two white teens was just one highlight. No over-dramatising, no dialogue, but so much said.

Comment

I don't quite know where to put this but, as I've replayed it about ten times today to take it all in, 'Current Watching' will have to do.

I saw it shared on twitter this morning, some 1992 'Stars In Their Eyes' contestants giving us their 'Do They Know It's Christmas'.

It is compelling, hysterical and bewildering viewing. I will give a special prize to anyone who can name all the artists on one viewing

Comment

Fuck. I've seen this before, and I still don't think I could name all of them.

Comment

The 1992 Stars in their Eyes Christmas Special is a wonder of its age. Any age.

Comment

The Flight Attendant on HBO Max is very entertaining. Kaley Cuoco plays a flight attendant with a drinking problem who wakes up next to a murdered guy in Thailand and then makes a bunch of unforced errors. I don’t think she did it, but it’s not really certain.

It’s kinda anxiety-inducing but it moves along briskly, doesn’t take itself too seriously and the performances are excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                      I don't quite know where to put this but, as I've replayed it about ten times today to take it all in, 'Current Watching' will have to do.

I saw it shared on twitter this morning, some 1992 'Stars In Their Eyes' contestants giving us their 'Do They Know It's Christmas'.

It is compelling, hysterical and bewildering viewing. I will give a special prize to anyone who can name all the artists on one viewing

That is both the greatest and worst thing I've ever seen.

I think I could name 90% of them, the only ones I'm really struggling on are the guy in the cheap suit with red shirt, singing with the woman in the orange who I also can't work out.

Comment

Watched the film version of 'Juliet, Naked' tonight. I guess we were in the mood for something decent but lightweight and it fitted the bill. Good cast - Rose Byrne, Chris O'Dowd, Ethan Hawke - all underplaying nicely and taken from a Nick Hornby novel so the usual wry observations on male insecurities were dutifully rolled out. It was okay.
                                        Last edited by Tony C; 28-11-2020, 08:06.

Comment

I enjoyed that too.

Comment

Apologies for posting this elsewhere, but can I thoroughly recommend a programme on the bbc iPlayer, called The Final Ascent which is the life story of the extraordinary Scottish mountaineer Hamish MacInnes died this week aged 90. He lived an incredible life - he climbed the Matterhorn when he was only 16 and climbed Mount Everest 4 times. He also was responsible for saving many lives by inventing a number of mountaineering related items. He transformed mountain rescue protocols, as well as the search and rescue dog association. A good friend of mine was partly responsible for his care in his last few years.
                                            An incredible life, lived well and truly to the full. Do yourselves a favour and watch it.

Comment

I watched The Queen’s Gambit three times all the way through. Brilliant.

Now enjoying Eric Cantona in Inhuman Resources. I know EC is appreciated around here, but you may not all appreciate how sexy he is. Oh mon Dieu.

Not sure how this plot will work out but I’m ok for a few episodes.

Comment

Inhuman Resources is crazy as hell. I loved it.

Watching the first few episodes of the Leah Remini SLAM SCIENTOLOGY series. Geezus, makes me want to throw bricks through their HQ, what a criminal outfit.

And, loved Queen's Gambit.
                                                Last edited by Cal Alamein; 29-11-2020, 00:45.

Comment

As a family we watched Christmas Chronicles 2 on Netflix last night because we really enjoyed the first one.

It's awful.

Comment

On episode left of the Queen's Gambit. The six first episodes were all really good, the seventh was just silly nonsense. One episode left and it could go either way quality-wise.

We watched the third season of Babylon Berlin last week and thought it was a whole lot less interesting than the first two seasons.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X