Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

First 2 episodes of series 2 - my bad should have specified
    Ah, yes haven’t seen any of series 2 yet, apologies for the confusion.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

Most of the sets are all digitally created on the new Volume system. It's amazing.

https://techcrunch.com/2020/02/20/ho...tv-production/
      I should imagine setting episodes on Tatooine and ersatz Tatooine allow a saving on the design, at any rate.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
        A year late, but finished Succession last night. Fuck me, that was intense.
        You’re not the last. We still have S2 to watch.

Comment

I am pretty sure I mentioned this film last year when i saw it. Now it';s apparently coming to a digital platform near you (Prime, Apple, and more). I really recommend it. (The review is in the Times but seemingly not behind a paywall) https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/c...7298f7d953290a

Comment

I think it was mentioned on this very thread but can't find it with the search function, but watched Brittany Runs A Marathon last night. A lot more downbeat and realistic* than the poster suggests and while it was hardly an Oscar contender, the subject matter meant I got more personal engagement from it than most of the films I've watched during lockdown. I watched the marathon scenes wishing I was dying on my arse around the 20 mile mark, surrounded by discarded water cups, just like the good old pre-Covid days, and wondering when that sort of big event will be feasible again.

*it had a share of unrealistic things and contrivances, but still.

Comment

That was a pretty good film.

Comment

Episode 3 of The Mandalorian was much better. Mon Calamari, Quarren, Stormtroopers and Imperial Officers. Back story. Side story. Guest star. Teasing a character. All good stuff.

Comment

I am enjoying this. But it's also very formulaic. We had, in order, the sand episode, the ice episode, and the water episode, and it sounds as if episode 4 will be the forest episode. Which elements are we missing for episodes 5-8? I can see a lava episode coming.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                    Episode 3 of The Mandalorian was much better. Mon Calamari, Quarren, Stormtroopers and Imperial Officers. Back story. Side story. Guest star. Teasing a character. All good stuff.
                    This is the way.

It’s giving the hardcore fans what they wanted, which was a continuation of the stories from Clone Wars and Rebels.

*Spoiler*
                    I’m not sure it was ever officially confirmed that Katie Sackhof would play Bo Katan, but it’s what almost everyone wanted, so it’s great to see that it happened. And next we’ll get to see Ashoka Tano, which is also very exciting for fans of the animated shows and the books, etc.

I liked the Rey sequels, but the storytelling
                    in the animated shows and the Mandalorian, all led by Dave Filoni, is definitely way better and more coherent. So he should just be made Head of Star Wars.

Having said that, I am not really sure what the point of the frog family story was. Perhaps they just thought that having Boba Fett and then Bo Katan, (played by the actress who played Starbuck) in back to back episodes would cause a collective nerdgasm that would disrupt the rotation of the Earth. So they needed a filler episode to keep the balance.

Comment

Originally posted by Wouter D View Post
                      I am enjoying this. But it's also very formulaic. We had, in order, the sand episode, the ice episode, and the water episode, and it sounds as if episode 4 will be the forest episode. Which elements are we missing for episodes 5-8? I can see a lava episode coming.
                      That would likely be Mustafar. That may appear. Or maybe Sullust.

The diversity of environments is an important part of Star Wars.

Comment

@WD I mean the first series was quite formulaic. We had the "has to save the village from bandits" episode, the "help a rookie get his spurs" episode (which was subverted slightly) and the "help an old buddy with a heist knowing he will double cross you" episode.

@HP filler is a good word for it. Every series has one duff episode so hopefully that's the one

Comment

Both, appreciated. I observed this as something that was happening, part of me wishes that we would spend more than one episode in a particular place, but a much larger part of me is well aware that this is not affecting my general enjoying of the series.

With the frog family, I imagine it provided a happy ending in an episode full of people ruthlessly pursuing their own interests. This even includes Baby Yoda, who had seen the eggs as nothing but a delicious snack before.

Comment

Apart from the uniform, I never got the whole Boba Fett love, even as a kid. And the whole clone shit with the Once Were Warriors guy, fucking hell.

Comment

The Boba Fett love came from his cool outfit and because he felt like a Spaghetti Western character. Fans were pissed that he had such a dumb (apparent) death.

The Mandalorian, at least so far, is recreating all those classic Western/Samurai film tropes. It’s not just following a formula so much as doing homages to popular stories from those genres.

The Clone stuff is, not surprisingly, explored extensively in The Clone Wars (and, to a lesser extent, Rebels.) It’s about how people develop their own identity within a rigid military structure, I guess.
                              Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 13-11-2020, 23:23.

Comment

Ted Lasso.

Best show of the year. Perhaps of recent years.

Comment

Yeah, I really loved that and am glad it’s been a success.

Comment

Mrs. NS and I have been doing classic films for the last two evenings, North By Northwest yesterday and The Deer Hunter tonight. She handled the contrast pretty well.

Comment

Next week Frozen and The Exorcist?

Comment

By coincidence, we watched North by Northwest on Thursday. I can see why critics rate Vertigo, because it is a film that lends itself well to particular types of analysis and interpretation, but North by Northwest is my fave Hitchcock by some distance.

Non-Hitchcock but quite Hitchcock-y Charade is on Talking Pictures tomorrow morning. Must remember to record it, perhaps to watch in a double bill with Scum or Romper Stomper,

Comment

Looking through what I've got recorded on my Sky box I'm thinking about twinning Sense and Sensibility with Se7en.

Comment

Rogue City on Netflix.

A script that was difficult to follow about characters that it was difficult to care about.

We've been on a good run with the series format but a lousy one with films recently on Netflix.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                              Non-Hitchcock but quite Hitchcock-y Charade is on Talking Pictures tomorrow morning. Must remember to record it, perhaps to watch in a double bill with Scum or Romper Stomper,
                                              Famously there was an error in establishing the copyright for Charade which meant it became public domain immediately upon release. It then meant that later anyone could released it on video, then after DVD but the copies were always poor because no one would spend money on improving them. I might have a look (and think it is on streaming as well) to see if it is any better these days.

Comment

That's interesting. If someone did remaster a public domain film, would they then have ownership rights over the restored version? Talking Pictures often mention their budget constraints so price would certainly be a consideration if a choice was available.

Comment

Don't know to be honest, but the other famous public domain case was It's A Wonderful Life, for which copyright was eventually re-established but according to its wiki page a number of different colourised versions were produced during the time it was under dispute so there must be some incentive to produce new versions (though in that case adding colour could be seen as producing a new product rather than the cleaning up and audio remastering that Charade needs).

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                                    Mrs. NS and I have been doing classic films for the last two evenings, North By Northwest yesterday and The Deer Hunter tonight. She handled the contrast pretty well.

Actually, talking of The Deer Hunter, I read its Wiki entry afterwards, as I usually do after watching a film, and it threw up some interesting stuff.

So, I knew that it was John Cazale's final role and that he was dying of lung cancer but didn't realise that all his scenes were filmed first, such was the delicate nature of his health. I was also admiring the mountain scenery of the deer hunting scenes - the Appalachians, I told Mrs. NS. Turns out that they were actually the Cascades!

John Savage's filmography is also worth a peek: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Savage_(actor) He either needs a hobby or to reign in his spending habits.

Apparently they had a problem finding an actor who was prepared to slap faces during the first RR scene. The first (Thai) actors couldn't do it to De Niro out of respect. Then then found a guy who hated Americans and didn't need a second invitation.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X