I've just seen a traumatic advert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

that mcDonald's ad is fucking disgusting. not content with having cornered the separated dad's market, they're looking for the stepdad market as well. Cynical shit eating Cunts.

Comment

An advert I do quite like at the moment is one for some company that sells snack bags of meat chunks, in which a whole school of hungry teenagers have turned into Hank Marvin. I like it partly because its mildly amusing, and partly because I like the idea of advertising folks thinking of something to appeal to young people and ending up with a joke based on cockney rhyming slang related to a septuagenarian.

I think that's been shown on occasion for a quite a while and that's the way it struck me, too. Hank Marvin? Are today's kiddies aware of the bespectacled strummer's place in the world of music? Or the world? Fair points on the transatlantic ad theory, too. It does indeed look as if it assembled by folk who believe we live in a Logan's Run-like city called Soccerland.

Comment

That Hank Marvin one really grates my tits for the exact reason that you've identified though, zeb. In the world of irrational responses to adverts - and this is a vaguely irrational one, I'll admit - I have a habit of getting extremely annoyed at ads which are just plain failures.

The temerity of the ad company to suggest this pile of crap idea, so obviously decades past its sell by date, and to place it in front of my eyeballs, offends me greatly. See also: shit idea aliens from the Argos ads, an ad which for all I know is actually a re-run of one that ran in the 1980s.

Also, the main kid in that Hank Marvin ad looks like a twat. It's something in the way he eats. Plus, they're hawking that awful kind of processed meat-flavoured snack that's probably made from pigs' bumholes and cows' eyelids; the product alone is enough of a mark against them, without the shite cheapo ad idea.

There's currently a perfume ad doing the rounds involving Julia Roberts smugging at a room full of people, which seems to confirm the accuracy of Family Guy's portrayal of her as self obsessed ('A lot of people died in the tsumani, but don't worry, I didn't'). It simultaneously annoys and amuses, which is weird.

Comment

I completely agree about the McDonalds ad.

That annoying series of BT ads is still going isn't it? When will it end?

Comment

My dad simply didn't get the Hank Marvin one. "What's Hank Marvin got to do with anything?"

We don't really go much on Cockney rhyming slang in Bury.

Comment

Speaking of aliens, I see one of those eye-watering APR loan-peddlers has little green men as their main protagonists. The ETs are using the cash – borrowed over 12 months at 278% - to redecorate their spaceship. One of the out-of-towners has even made a start on the painting, slapping on the royal blue with the aid of a galactic-roller. That said, I noticed he hadn’t used masking tape round the skirting-boards/laser-switches, so he’s probably going to have to spend all afternoon giving it the old turps ‘n’ rag treatment. How can you master the intricacies of space travel and a) agree to something with such punitive repayment terms & conditions? and b) not know the primary do’s and don’ts of space-craft refurbishment? Well, he’s going to have to find out the hard way, I guess.

As for the Hank Marvin advert, I'd like to see a similar one for loo roll, where legions of teenagers are dressed up as Douglas Hurd. I think it marries imagery, message and cultural irrelevance quite well.

Comment

Or maybe Richard III.

Although it would be hard to use costume to effectively portray being buried under a car park.

Comment

They could just have a slight hump in the concrete.

I was going to suggest Sir John Barbirolli, but I think that's too tenuous.

Comment

See, if someone does a really annoying advert, I make it my ambition to never buy that product ever again.
                    This is remarkably easy to do.
                    I like the idea that the money they've spent can actually have a negative effect on sales, albeit a small one.

Comment

Agreed - I do pretty well without any Crown Paints, Candy, Carlsberg, Sharp, Vodaphone, AIG, Aon, Cheverolet or Standard Chartered products.

Comment

I'd like to point out that basketball games do not last two days. Neither do baseball games, although baseball is usually played every day. Basketball teams rarely play games on successive days except for college or high school teams playing in conference tournaments.

Would it be so odd to attend two football matches in successive days? Like, go to the women's game one day and then the main senior men's match the next?

Comment

Santander. Rory McIlroy. Jessica Ennis. Jensen Button. Dodgy bank ad - for a very dodgy bank - sees various people going about their lives only to have young sports stars pop up out of nowhere to dispense financial advice in the manner of glass-eyed Epcot-style futuristic automatons.

In a burgeoning field of cackvision adverts, it's pushing right out in front as of now.

Comment

Reed John wrote:
                            Would it be so odd to attend two football matches in successive days? Like, go to the women's game one day and then the main senior men's match the next?
                            Yes

Comment

Especially wearing exactly the same clothes.

Comment

Antepli Ejderha wrote: Not sure where to post this and I guess it's been dealt with but here goes:

Having just moved back to the UK I keep seeing adverts for loans with the APR of hundreds or today over 1000%.

Are my eyes deceiving me or are these real?
                                One of these called Cash Lady is being fronted by Kerry Katona. You have to be pretty desperate to use one of these in the first place, but to go to one endorsed by Ms Katona really does defy belief.

Comment

The overload of betting ads on telly are really getting on my tits now, last night was a positive invasion of invitations to the addicted; horrible, cheap little clarion calls for the gambling enthusiast to waste it all. Please make it stop.

Comment

ian.64 wrote: Santander. Rory McIlroy. Jessica Ennis. Jensen Button. Dodgy bank ad - for a very dodgy bank - sees various people going about their lives only to have young sports stars pop up out of nowhere to dispense financial advice in the manner of glass-eyed Epcot-style futuristic automatons.

In a burgeoning field of cackvision adverts, it's pushing right out in front as of now.
                                    Rory McIlroy is positively sinister in that ad. really creepy.

I don't know what is worse, the swarm of ads for internet gambling, or the ones for the loansharks. There's something particularly evil about These ones

Comment

The usurious loansharking ones actually address a need. A need they've largely helped create, of course, but still a need. The gambling ones are just legalized theft.

Comment

The one where the Italian guy (Tizanio) shouts at Chris Kamara's pencil-thin 'tache for the duration of the advert is a sonic invasion unrivalled currently on televison. It's also too brief to grab the remote control and turn it down, but still long enough to cause exquisite irritation. I wouldn't be surprised if it's cited as the trigger-event in a murder trial soon.

Comment

This one belongs equally in the WTF thread. To be fair to Ford, this seems like advertising guys being cocks, not anything that was ever going to be officially shown to the public.

Comment

That was my thought, too. Regardless of where it was supposed to be seen (or not), it got far enough along that full art was commissioned, so the agency should lose the account.

Comment

ian.64 wrote: The overload of betting ads on telly are really getting on my tits now, last night was a positive invasion of invitations to the addicted; horrible, cheap little clarion calls for the gambling enthusiast to waste it all. Please make it stop.
                                              And bingo ads, don't forget the bingo.

Comment

I'm putting lots of work into trying to forget them.

The one where the Italian guy (Tizanio) shouts at Chris Kamara's pencil-thin 'tache for the duration of the advert is a sonic invasion unrivalled currently on televison. It's also too brief to grab the remote control and turn it down, but still long enough to cause exquisite irritation. I wouldn't be surprised if it's cited as the trigger-event in a murder trial soon.

They've been shrieking their sonic crapulence for quite some time now and I didn't know the shouty guy had a name, apart, of course, from Annoying Fucker.

Oh, god. Bingo. Just remembered, nmrfox, that new online bingo ad I saw last night, which has a smirking bloke in a bad bird costume flapping his arms showing up in hairdressers and at bus stops to the tune of The Bird Is The Word. Not only is it completely shit and bafflingly pointless but the bloke in the suit also wears thick-rimmed glasses and jarringly resembles Jonathan King at first glance, thus making the ad even more of a bizarre mini-endurance test.

Comment

Although they're not really ads, I'm a little irritated by trails for ITV dramas that come across as music videos (remember that trail for Dancing on Ice featuring Pamela Anderson and felt as if it went on forever?) For instance, if ITV wanted to say Scott & Bailey are on next week, they could've said so instead of having this annoying, portentously smug sequence set in a jail. Just give us the time and day, for chrissakes.

Comment

But if they gave you the time and day that Scott & Bailey was on, it would give you more time to see what else there was on the other channels.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X