Clear All

• Jah Womble
    replied
    Oh, no doubt.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
    Fair enough. But that assumes a lot about what you plan to do with them.

A bit like calling a loaf of bread ‘sandwich slices’.
    The whole idea is to convince punters that they need to buy both "tortillas" and "wraps"

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    I would agree with Ursus on the scant distinction. A wrap is both the "sandwich" (yeah, I know) and the medium for the sandwich, here. And the "bread" is mostly similar to the tortilla you'd use on a burrito, but made to be pliable without heating, I guess, and therefore a bit less interesting.

Leave a comment:

• slackster
    replied
    Oh, I’ve just used Mission Wraps for my lunch: fishfingers, salad leaves with a bit of mayo and ketchup. First time I’ve had that brand of tortilla.

Leave a comment:

• Jah Womble
    replied
    Fair enough. But that assumes a lot about what you plan to do with them.

A bit like calling a loaf of bread ‘sandwich slices’.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Over here, larger, thinner (and sometimes flavoured) flour tortillas are increasingly sold as "wraps" on their own

https://www.missionfoods.com/products/wraps/

Leave a comment:

• Jah Womble
    replied
    The flour tortilla is the bread, the wrap is what you make with it, innit?

Leave a comment:

• Levin
    replied
    Crimpit Wrap

The advert starts by asking if you like wraps but then goes straight into advertising a pasty maker. But one that uses 'wraps*' rather than pastry.

It's just incongruous, it's very tech inventing something that existed before.

*I didn't get what the difference is, in the UK, between a flour tortilla and a wrap.
    Last edited by Levin; 10-02-2024, 09:59.

Leave a comment:

• 3 Colours Red
    replied
    Someone singing "My Yakult" to the tune of Dragostea Din Tei... only about 20 years too late to ride that train.

Leave a comment:

• Jah Womble
    replied
    I hope you're still talking about an advert.

Leave a comment:

• Lymeswold Snork
    replied
    Just saw someone with an extra mouth in their forehead which they had to stuff with chewing-gum to get it to stop talking. I hope it's no more than three days before that's banned or withdrawn.

Leave a comment:

• WOM
    replied
    Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
    I don't recall there being any local furniture store or mattress ads. Why are there so many mattress store ads?
    This is a whole topic. See 'Mattress Firm'. It's like a cabal.

There used to be ads for some off-shoot of Circuit City that resembled Radio Shack. I think I bought a charger in one of those in Toronto. I don't recall what it was called. Anyway, both Radio Shack and Circuit City are gone, so whatever that was called is gone.*
    The Source. I think it's officially The Source by Circuit City

I get the feeling that Canadians are being ripped off on mobile phone plans, internet, and cable.
    100%. And we know it.

Not so many ads about bundling home and auto insurance. Is that not a thing in Canada?
    It is, but we don't move shit around much. Better the devil you know, etc.

There are a lot of ads that try to attach the brand to an idealized image of white rural Canada - Tim Hortons, Canadian Tire, etc. That may be more of a hockey-specific approach rather than all of Canada all the time.
    Yup. This is a big one. Also 'new Canadian finding their place' is a recurring theme. So, 'Asian kid playing hockey'.

Ads for restaurant chains named for places in the US that don't have any franchises in the US.
    Right, because of the perception that the US does roadside food better than we do. Montana's, Boston Pizza, Baton Rouge, etc. Even Kelsey's is just TGIFridays under a different name.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    I am watching the World Junior Ice Hockey championships on ESPN+, which is using a Canadian feed with Canadian adverts.

It is interesting to see how they differ from USian adverts for similar content.

Many fewer ads for cars, trucks and insurance

No prescription drug advertising

New Iphone ads focussed on the warmth of the cellular provider rather than envy, FOMO and/or the quality of the camera

Ethnically diverse ads feature South Asians rather than Latinos

A greater sense of "we are all in this together" then we get down here, whether it be weather, road safety or amateur ice hockey
    In the past, the NHL package would show the local ads. ESPN+ doesn't do that for whatever reason.

I recall there were a fair number of car and truck ads, but I don't recall any manic local car-dealer ads inviting me to come on down and score a hattrick of savings, etc.

I don't recall there being any local furniture store or mattress ads. Why are there so many mattress store ads?

There used to be ads for some off-shoot of Circuit City that resembled Radio Shack. I think I bought a charger in one of those in Toronto. I don't recall what it was called. Anyway, both Radio Shack and Circuit City are gone, so whatever that was called is gone.*

I get the feeling that Canadians are being ripped off on mobile phone plans, internet, and cable.

Not so many ads about bundling home and auto insurance. Is that not a thing in Canada? The prevalence of those ads during football is astounding.

There are a lot of ads that try to attach the brand to an idealized image of white rural Canada - Tim Hortons, Canadian Tire, etc. That may be more of a hockey-specific approach rather than all of Canada all the time.

Ads for restaurant chains named for places in the US that don't have any franchises in the US.

*In the US too, it just feels like there aren't as many ads for consumer electronics - other than mobile devices - as there used to be. As we saw in many of those old ads on the Advent Advert thread, there used to be a ton of different shops like that, regional and national. Now it's pretty much just Amazon and Best Buy.
    Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 03-01-2024, 16:54.

Leave a comment:

• 3 Colours Red
    replied
    Also responsible for one of the ugliest F1 liveries ever:

Leave a comment:

• WOM
    replied
    I was all-in with them for a long time because their rates were so much better, and then I got into their Streetwise Funds.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    ING Direct actually started in Canada. They were quite the thing in the aughts.

The entire framework for cell phone plans can differ quite dramatically across borders, which was a challenge for us each time we changed countries.

Leave a comment:

• WOM
    replied
    When ING Direct came here, their spokesguy was uncharacteristically aggressive Dutch actor and he used to say "Your bank wants you to save with them, but they pay almost no interest". Which was true...but now it was some foreign upstart saying it...and it worked.

But then they got bought by one of the Canadian Big 5 banks and that whole thing just went away.

Leave a comment:

• WOM
    replied
    Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
    Are Canadian ads as aggressive as US ads? One of the things that always strikes me about US ads for cars and such is how they shit on the competition directly and by name, which is a big no-no in the UK.
    Not in the least. Not even between parity phone providers or parity banks. You just...don't mention the other guy.

We have a toilet paper ad that mentions 'the other guys', but nobody is really sure who they're talking about.

Leave a comment:

• Ginger Yellow
    replied
    Are Canadian ads as aggressive as US ads? One of the things that always strikes me about US ads for cars and such is how they shit on the competition directly and by name, which is a big no-no in the UK.

Leave a comment:

• WOM
    replied
    Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    I am watching the World Junior Ice Hockey championships on ESPN+, which is using a Canadian feed with Canadian adverts.

It is interesting to see how they differ from USian adverts for similar content.

New Iphone ads focussed on the warmth of the cellular provider rather than envy, FOMO and/or the quality of the camera

A greater sense of "we are all in this together" then we get down here, whether it be weather, road safety or amateur ice hockey
    These are interesting observations. We obviously see all the US stuff frequently, but I don't hear about it much from the other side.

The weirdest ones for us are the family cellular plan ads. That just isn't a thing here. "You get 4 phones, unlimited minutes, <this thing free>, <that thing free>, all for $59 a month with no contract."

We're like 'what the actual fuck?'

Also "Rumfemerol may cause headaches, diarrhea, vomiting, anal leakage, jittery hands, blurry vision, loss of appetite. Do not use Rumfemerol if you've had an allergic reaction to Rumfemerol..."

Leave a comment:

• Ginger Yellow
    replied
    We're all about making business life easier, especially for fellow Northerners like yourselves in Derbyshire.
    Teehee.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied

Last edited by ursus arctos; 31-12-2023, 15:25.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Amuricans say it that way

Perhaps because of the way it was originally presented

Leave a comment:

• Fussbudget
    replied
    Not so much a traumatic advert as I remember nothing about the advert except how they repeatedly pronounce the name of the company in it, but is Travelodge really supposed to be pronounced "Travel-lodge"? It's only got one L! Genuinely never heard anyone say it like that before

Leave a comment:

• Jah Womble
    replied
    Things that are nothing like ‘climbing a mountain that’s really a volcano’:

1) Accounting software

Leave a comment:

Working...
X