No announcement yet.

The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You'd think that we have had so many runs on the pounds since the referendum that the Tories might stop using it as a stick to beat McDonnell. Another drop with the deadlock announcement.

Comment

Christ, Davis really has nothing to say but calling for a changed mandate. Never mind that the mandate was re-endorsed recently. Or that even if this "scoping exercise" on transition is allowed, we'll still be no closer to an actual deal on the endpoint. The transition is just a way to give us more time to adapt.

Comment

What would be the more palatable option to put a brake on all this without causing the Leavers (those that are not gone to the fairies completely) to have a strop? I'd say an extension of Art50, that way the "Leave the EU" remit remains in place. Ultimately, it would benefit the Brexit cause but Hard-Brexiters are like a pubescent lad losing his virginity....

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
          It now seems that openly supporting "No-deal Brexit" is the new badge of Tory hard-right virility. "Plan for this now! This can work! This must work! We want Dubai-with-rain now!" Which I suspected was always the plan of the hard-right, but I thought they'd be discreet and subtle about it, and pretend to be Shocked and Outraged at the EU, a bit later down the line. But no, they've got their cocks out early. It's an interesting strategy.
          Yeah, exactly. Compared with no deal Brexit, the value of Sterling doesn't matter to these people. It fell earlier to 1.09 Euros, which was the level the Tories said it could fall to with Corbyn in government. It got there before but Carney went out and talked up higher interest rates.

"Get Hammond" is in full swing. His long face is upsetting everyone, it seems. They ought to replace him with Johnson for a couple of weeks, see what the pound does.

Comment

Intellectual powerhouse John Redwood just called for more "realistic and optimistic" forecasts for post-Brexit.

One precludes the other. And apparently he is one of the smartest ones.

Comment

Liz Truss might be after Hammond's job, with her conversion to Brexit. She ought to be reflecting that her constituency has sugar beat producers in it, who could be flattened by Brexit.

Given that no politician responsible for this message will pay for it, perhaps they can compete on damage they're prepared to do to their constituents.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                Intellectual powerhouse John Redwood just called for more "realistic and optimistic" forecasts for post-Brexit.

One precludes the other. And apparently he is one of the smartest ones.
                Even worse than that. He's told Hammond to make them produce these nicer forecasts. Maybe Big Phil can strongarm the OBR, Bank of England, OECD, IMF into changing their pessimism too.

In other news, probably a misprint but Liam Fox seems to have formed a trade board with just himself on it.

Comment

Maybe Big Phil can strongarm the OBR, Bank of England, OECD, IMF into changing their pessimism too.
                  And, um, Dutch banks.

Comment

Hammond's still awful, of course, and dementedly steadfast in his commitment to the other great reality-resistant dogma of our age – austerity. But then Johnson's all over that, too.

Comment

He's an old school Tory dry. To be fair to him, he had a go at a progressive tax rise on self-employments, and a modest slowdown in the pensions rise which would have helped the public finances, but he's pretty grim. I wonder if he's the one insisting on Universal Credit going forward now, because if it doesn't there's another gap in his budget.

Comment

Here's another, relatively small, but still awkward hole in their budgets. And another sign that they screw up literally everything.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...n-numbers-soar

Closure (and selling off) of old inner city jails isn't happening for at least 5 years. Pentonville's site is likely worth well over £200m.

Comment

Whatever happened to Gove the liberal prison reformer, which pundits briefly wanked over not so long ago?

Comment

May sacked him. He made a reasonable start, but still had to do the hard yards of reducing the prison population. Who knows how far he'd have got with that, with the penal "liberal elite" to have a pop at?

He's keeping his head down now, by his standards. Let Johnson and Fox force out May/Hammond, then step in.

Oh fuck.

Comment

More on those Citizens of Nowhere. Moving out of London to flip Home Counties Tory seats.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...don-south-east

A pal of mine, who does a fair bit with East of England Labour, was on to this a while ago but didn't expect Bedford to flip in this election. Bit of a warning for Labour in going along with Hard Brexit.

Comment

Corbyn better today.

Yes, I voted remain because I thought the best option was to remain. I haven’t changed my mind on that. But we accept the result of referendum.

Comment

Same as it ever was...

Comment

He needed to get that out though. Because it was obvious, after May's floundering on Tuesday, that he'd be asked the same thing. And if the Tories go in hard for 'no-deal' bravado, it'd be pretty easy to get clear red water between the parties on that, and Labour unity. Unless Kate Hoey goes full rogue, which is a distinct possibility.

Comment

I don't mind him at all saying there won't be a second referendum- as long as other people are flying that kite. He was unnecessarily evasive yesterday, perhaps caught on the hop.

I think there are about 7 Labour MPs going along wholeheartedly with Hard Brexit, enough to be a nuisance.

Comment

From Chris Giles, of the FT. He's a pretty natural Tory in other circumstances.

Comment

Jeremy Cunt the latest Tory remainer to weigh up all the evidence, assess how things have changed on the ground in the past 15 months, and come to the conclusion that, on balance, he's changed his mind and is now a Leaver.

Comment

Yeah. Particularly absurd reason too- the EU are hardballing. Who could have seen that coming?

Comment

So speaks Allister Heath in the Telegraph.

Comment

"... and then if we all shout very loudly 'I BELIEVE IN FAIRIES!' Tinkerbell won't die."

Comment

It's like when you don't pay for Netflix but still want to watch the films. Just phone up Netflix and be as hard as nails, they are sure to relent.

Comment

This is how bad things are. The Government is leaking this to the Telegraph to shore up the core vote.

The Telegraph‏Verified account
                                                    @Telegraph
                                                    Ministers in talks about commissioning new Royal Yacht Britannia for post-Brexit Britain #premium

Comment

Working...
                                                    X