No announcement yet.

The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brexit Means: Leaving Single Market, Customs Union European Court of Justice

Imperial preference based upon the gold standard within a sterling currency area or death!

Comment

Peter Hitchens is unleashing some anti-metric roasters this afternoon. Apparently devised by a murderous, fanatical regime hell bent on colonisation and subjugation, metric was enforced upon helpless populations. Unlike imperial weights and measures. The pound is something you could hold in your hands as it grew organically by human custom unlike metric money which is a diabolic branch of utopian theory.

But what is most notable in the Brexit era is how much unbelievably reactionary stuff now passes for sensible comment in newspapers of note “for reasonable discussion and debate”. Remember Sir Walter Walker, David Sterling and the plot to overthrow Harold Wilson? The effluent which is now pouring from today’s august commentators and online heroes makes the ideology of the 1970’s coup plotters look like the Baader Meinhof manifesto.

Comment

Evariste Euler Gauss wrote: for the convenience of the elderly who have so royally fucked up their futures with the Brexit vote.
        Oy! I'm one of these so-called baby-boomers you know.

Anyroad, I was a bit weird as a seven year old and I asked for, and received, an arithmetic book for a Christmas or a birthday. I just dug it out. It's a modern book as it explains it's been reprinted to remove references to farthings. Here's a couple of examples:

What must be added to 1 qr. 3 lb. 7oz. to make 4 qr.?

Multiply 14 gal. 2 qt. 1 pt. by 9

Drag any 65 year old Brexiter in off the street and ask them to sort those out.

Comment

Rumour that Argentina aren't going to cut up rough about the Falklands when UK membership of the WTO comes up. They're going to cut up rough about beef exports instead.

They might not be the only country who adopt the "The British are welcome in the WTO, a great trading nation, but there is just one thing..." line. Then there are the outright "eccentrics" who might see it as a chance to make a name for themselves.

Comment

I thought Corbyn and Milne were a bit dodgy on NATO before. But Michael Howard's virtually declared war on another NATO member. That would involve the rest of NATO going to war with us. Maybe we go to war with ourselves.

Comment

A new EC ruling means that if you lie to a woman about the length of your phallus, you have to say it's 20.32cm not 8 inches

Comment

I do remember a British TV chef in the BBC about twenty years ago complaining about the metric system. He said something along the lines of, "now a two pound fish will become an 850 gram fish, which is much more difficult."

I was unaware that fish grew in whole number imperial weights, but you learn something new everyday.

Comment

The Great British Fishing Fleet only caught fish in whole number imperial weights. All others were thrown back. Until the dastardly EU quota system ruined everything.

Comment

antoine polus wrote: I do remember a British TV chef in the BBC about twenty years ago complaining about the metric system. He said something along the lines of, "now a two pound fish will become an 850 gram fish, which is much more difficult."
                    More like forty years ago surely.

My stepdaughter (37): "How far away was that bird when you photographed it?"

Me: "About 15 yards."

Stepdaughter: "How far is that?"

Me: "Errrrr... round about about 15 metres"

Stepdaughter: "OK. Why not just say so?"

Me: [Thinks] Right. Next time I'll say two thirds of a Chain.

Comment

Michael Howard. What the fucking fuck? The civilised world is looking at England (yes) at the moment and thinking, what exactly do you want? What exactly do you expect? How bloody wierd are you?

Comment

Three days after "the trigger" and they are already bringing up the Falklands. Um, you actually had ships then. It's all obscene.

Comment

Well, at least the Brexiteers didn't overreact, and that's the main thing.

Comment

Michael Howard hasn't been obviously slapped down by the PM yet.

Comment

It's times like these that we need a Wingco Special.

Comment

Logan Mountstuart wrote: Three days after "the trigger" and they are already bringing up the Falklands. Um, you actually had ships then. It's all obscene.
                                It's the anniversary of the outbreak of the war today (erm, yesterday now in the UK), which might explain some of that. Although I've no idea what exactly was said.

Comment

Had an online debate - OK, argument, with a Brexiteer on Facebook.

Apparently one of the reasons he voted Leave was because of the French deporting the Roma, Turkey denying illegal immigrants and the rise of the Far Right across all of Europe (but not the UK).

I quoted that back to him as fine, upstanding reasons to stand alongside Nigel Farage, Marine Le Pen, Gert Wilders, Vladimir Putin and Donald Trump.

Comment

More details emerge about the attack in Croydon.

Three people wanted by police over Croydon asylum seeker attack

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/apr/03/three-people-wanted-by-police-over-croydon-asylum-seeker-attack?

8 arrested and 3 more sought, with 20 said to be involved in this attack.

Comment

Five have now been charged with attempted murder.

Comment

Well it's good they're not dicking around with assault or anything.

Comment

I'm surprised how quickly this investigation has progressed.

No more news on the man, I pray be makes a full recovery.

Comment

Snake Plissken wrote: I quoted that back to him as fine, upstanding reasons to stand alongside Nigel Farage, Marine Le Pen, Gert Wilders, Vladimir Putin and Donald Trump.
                                            Not to forget this cunt.

I am French, live in England, and I'm very worried about France right now, not really for these Presidentials as Macron is tipped to win comfortably (I don't particularly like him but that's not the issue, he will more than do, he's sane and harmless to democracy and to the EU, to Europe & the world in general. As Camus wrote: "Democracy is more important for what it prevents than what it allows") but I'm very worried for 2022 and 2027, and beyond, in relation of course to the ever-growing threat of the toxic Le Pens (Marine Le Pen and her vile niece, Marion Maréchal-nous-voilà Le Pen; or whoever else takes over the Front National for that matter, the father's gone but there's no shortage of extremely dangerous young cunts left in there ready to pounce, eg Florian Philippot. And that's one major difference with UKIP: the Front National is very structured now and here to stay).

I know I shouldn't be so worried maybe, my (English) wife keeps telling me not to worry about it, that the many old folks who vote Front National will soon be dead (forgetting that the FN is very popular amongst the U-30's, meaning that these people are likely to continue voting FN), well-meaning people tell me that my fears are irrational because even if MLP won in 2022, she'd never have enough MP's to deliver her horrendous party platform etc. (they seem to forget that France doesn't have a "checks and balances" US type of system, or not in the same strong way, the French president is an all-powerful figure).

I listen to them and take their point and hope that common sense will prevail in the end (yeah, well...), but I just can't help worrying about the political and general situation in France, the way all this shit is changing the country, the way it's slowly poisoning the social and human landscape. There will probably never be a Frexit in our lifetime but the Front National seems to be fulfilling the same noxious function. It's extremely divisive and effortlessly turns many seemingly "normal", ordinary people into rabid cunts.

I go to France a fair bit, mainly to the Paris area and the South-East and it's bad down there in the Midi, fuck, it's really bad, the things you hear... Frightening. Sometimes, you can't help but sit in a corner or on the bed with your dog, look down, put your head in your hands and cry.

Comment

Antepli Ejderha wrote: More details emerge about the attack in Croydon.

Three people wanted by police over Croydon asylum seeker attack

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/apr/03/three-people-wanted-by-police-over-croydon-asylum-seeker-attack?

8 arrested and 3 more sought, with 20 said to be involved in this attack.
                                              The front page of the Mail goes with "SAVAGES". I'm not entirely sure if they're referring to the victims or the perpetrators.

Comment

Chief Minister of Gibraltar has called Donald Tusk a cuckold.

Comment

People file weird lawsuit to get declaration that Article 50 notification is revocable. I don't know what Ireland's standing rules are, but I can't understand why an Irish court would decide it has jurisdiction. I mean, it would have to go the ECJ anyway, but I'd have thought it would have to go via the UK.

Comment

May's finally starting to make sensible noises about the transition period, which is giving me some hope we're not just going to stumble into a clusterfuck.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X