Trump's Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    The panel was convened recently and will sit three days a week for six months
    That seems... bananas?

Comment

I don't know about bananas, but it is unusual.

One day a week is normal, two days isn't unusual. I'm sure that they have done three before, but it is t something one hears about often.

Comment

The trial itself surely won't take that long, why should the grand jury?

Comment

Because the grand jury is presented with and considers all kinds of evidence that never is used at trial, as well as considering charges that are never brought, And it sounds as if this one will also have some non-Trump cases to consider during its term. They also generally sit for fewer hours each day.

Comment

But there's no cross examination, right? Indeed, no submissions from the accused at all.

Comment

Right (though the grand jurors can ask any questions they want to (including of witnesses), which can prolong the process given our natural inclinations in that regard.

It is a rather different process than a trial.
              Last edited by ursus arctos; 26-05-2021, 16:04.

Comment

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1399707794375426051

Comment

https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/1400167925198295041

Comment

Thousand year blog?

Comment

What is a "Myanmar-style coup" and how is it different than other coups?

Why did his blog fail? I'm surprised. Perhaps his targets don't understand how to find anything not on facebook. A lot of people think the internet=facebook in the sameway a lot of people had a hard time understanding the distinction between Windows, Explorer/Netscape and AOL.

Comment

For some reason, the Myanmar coup quickly became a model among the MAGA crowd. The fact that there was video and that the coup plotters were not Black likely helped.

I think that was basically it, combined with his pathological need for immediate praise and positive reinforcement. He never had the patience to build an audience, and any new platform's metrics were going to pale next to the numbers he did on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                          What is a "Myanmar-style coup" and how is it different than other coups?

This possibly?
                          https://www.businessinsider.com/form...21-5?r=US&IR=T

Comment

That was inspired by the French ex-generals bit about civil war (published on the anniversary of a failed coup, nonetheless)

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-56899765

Comment

Primarily I think reference to Myanmar is because Americans, and American politicians in specific, have the memory of a goldfish.

Comment

Maybe a Myanmar style coup is one where the country becomes a global pariah and laughing stock?

Comment

Originally posted by scratchmonkey View Post
                                  Primarily I think reference to Myanmar is because Americans, and American politicians in specific, have the memory of a goldfish.
                                  Apparently, that’s not really true of goldfish. It is true of politicians.

Comment

https://twitter.com/mckaycoppins/status/1400512292744224777

Comment

I confess to wondering whether this is all part of a plan to establish his incompetence to stand trial

Certainly not the most likely explanation, but not one I would rule out

Comment

But how does the party continuing to back him square with that tactic?

Comment

The "party", to the extent it exists as a coherent entity, has been very quiet about this latest batshit theory.

He's only getting support from the likes of Flynn, Sydney Powell, Don Jr and the My Pillow Guy.

But he has never had any interest in the party, only in himself, and will be perfectly willing to take it down if it keeps him out of jail.

Comment

OK. Media coverage and the Liz Cheney thing have led my to believe that the majority of GOP in house and senate are still in his camp.

Comment

This is different.

The majority of GOP elected officials are still terrified of the Trump cultists who form the "base", but this has yet to become a litmus test (unlike Cheney's defenestration). Even Jenna Ellis, the Trump White House who brought a lot of the suits challenging the election, has described it as unhinged,

Comment

They are in his camp in so much as being out of his camp is electoral suicide. Maybe "only" 25% are true believers in his insanity. The others pay lip-service in order to not get primaried. The New Mexico special election this week perhaps suggests that when Trump isn't involved the new Republican electoral coalition can't be bothered to vote, which might make them hew even harder to Trump as a short term strategy, even if the outcome of that election suggests that - long term - fealty to Trump is electorally harmful.

Comment

I'm not at all sure that even 25 percent of the House delegation believe in reinstatement.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                    But he has never had any interest in the party, only in himself, and will be perfectly willing to take it down if it keeps him out of jail.
                                                    Can he take it down AND end up in jail anyway? Pretty please?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X