Trump's Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trump's Card

There are four. American, Provolone, Monterrey Jack and Swiss.

Comment

Trump's Card

The trouble with poutine is that it takes three delicious things - chips, cheese and gravy - and then makes them all slightly worse by combining them. It's pointless. And I've yet to experience any poutine where the chips weren't made soggy by the gravy.

Comment

Trump's Card

ad hoc wrote: But, back on topic, as Nef says, that editorial is fantastic.
        Yeah.

And it gives me a ray of hope in a different way. Or reminds me of one. Germany, the country that created the original Nazis, is also the country that has produced so many wonderfully chilled-out, sensible socks-and-sandals types. It has great public transport and, as far as I can tell, the best overall footballing culture in the world. Germany still has Nazis, but they don't seem to be a very important political force.

Comment

Trump's Card

antoine polus wrote: There are four. American, Provolone, Monterrey Jack and Swiss.
          There's also string cheese and cheese wiz. And the horrifically named "Bleu", which I think is a mis-spelling of bleurgh.

Comment

Trump's Card

Just sitting here with my Ladybird book of Roman Emperors, ticking off the liberal media’s 'Trump is a Roman despot' hot takes. By my calculations, only Pescennius Niger, Diadumenianus, Balbinus, Numerianus, Pertinax and Gordian II remain on the shelf. Get your finger out New York Times.

Comment

Trump's Card

My daughter conned me into buying her that nachos and cheese (dip) stuff at a US ball park last year. She at the chips and left the goo. So I paid $4 for about 6 cents worth of deep-fried cornmeal.

Comment

Trump's Card

Going back to Texas for another six weeks next month...

Comment

Trump's Card

DeVos confirmed as Education secretary after Pence had to be called in to break a 50/50 vote. All Democrats voted No, and Collins and Murkowski were the two Republicans to vote No as well.

Comment

Trump's Card

Comment

Trump's Card

She's not as scary as her husband.

Comment

Trump's Card

Is there any chance DeVos and her vouchers could annoy the rural Base?

Comment

Trump's Card

TAB- sounds like a nice trip. I've yet to see the Millau bridge.

Hot Pepsi wrote:
                          I don't have a lot of poutine experience, but that's a good point about the cheese curds. It's what differentiates poutine from just cheesy fries like we get here a lot. Those are made with cheese whiz or something similar. It's goop.

Yeah, for any kind of fries/chips to work with a lot of stuff on them, the fries/chips have to be fairly crisp. I believe the preferred approach in Quebec is duck fat. Which is tasty murder, of course.
                          The duck fat foie gras poutine is a specialty at Martin Picard's Pied de Cochon, but not elsewhere. It would be great for a late night winter snack or pub grub, but at his restaurant, you'd really want real food instead for dinner.

Comment

Trump's Card

antoine polus wrote:
                            Originally posted by Der Spiegel
                            Donald Trump and his fire-starter Stephen Bannon discriminate against certain people by decree, but not against those from countries in which Trump does business.
                            The countries that Donald Trump does business with happen to be the same countries that the USA does business with, and is the exact same list of countries that was selected by the Obama administration last year for toughened up visa policy. Since the Obama decision last year, European citizens no longer qualify for an ESTA if they have an Iran entry stamp in their passport. Saudi Arabia entry stamp? No problem.

edit: While Donald Trump has obviously gone even further (banning people with green cards), where was the media outrage at the hypocrisy of the Obama administration's list of countries? Because maybe, just maybe, if the media had been awake for the last 30 years the world wouldn't have ended up with President Trump...
                            Exactly. Ironically, Trump's overstepping has resulted in tremendous popular support and awareness of muslim targeting in the US. And of course, under droner in chief Obama, muslim targeting took on a much more literal sense.

Comment

Trump's Card

Tubby Isaacs wrote: Is there any chance DeVos and her vouchers could annoy the rural Base?
                              Some - many of the rural states haven't bought into the voucher/charter school thing at all, and her focus would mean less focus on regular schooling in states with population densities too low to offer much choice.

The fact that she only cares about vouchers and charter schools, and not about rolling back the evil federal over-reach of common core, is going to rile the Republican education activists more.

But, and I'm sure you know this, policy details are not something that most of the Trumpians give a flying fuck about, so basically the Trump team can do whatever they like. They could bring in a single payer health system and nationalise John Deere and the Trumpian base wouldn't really be too fussed.

Comment

Trump's Card

DeVos will wind back common core too, won't she? Won't the Republican governors just bring in something Similar?

Comment

Trump's Card

San Bernardhinault wrote:
                                  Originally posted by antoine polus
                                  There are four. American, Provolone, Monterrey Jack and Swiss.
                                  There's also string cheese and cheese wiz. And the horrifically named "Bleu", which I think is a mis-spelling of bleurgh.
                                  Most people know mozzarella, because it goes on pizza. But the kind of mozzarella that usually goes on pizza is very different from what is sold as "fresh" mozzarella. No idea what that's about.

The Monty Python sketch has educated many of us about varieties of cheese. Recently I spent an hour going over an annotated list of the cheese mentioned in that. I learned Cheddar is a place.

Comment

Trump's Card

Does "fresh" mozzarella mean the cheese ball suspended in clear liquid (whey?)?

Cos that's the stuff that should be on pizza, at least for Italians who get all upset at any variation in in their recipes whatsoever. It's torn into small chunks and scattered over the base, which should only be lightly painted in San Marzano passata. And if you want anything else than fresh basil on there, you'd better check it's not on the prohibited list. I'd say asking for chicken or effing pineapple on pizza in Naples would be neither profitable nor popular.

Comment

Trump's Card

Tubby Isaacs wrote: DeVos will wind back common core too, won't she? Won't the Republican governors just bring in something Similar?
                                      She's going to fuck with Title IX and some stuff like that, but most of the money for education is state and local. And her privatization zeal is likely to eventually run into a lot of opposition, both from reality and from congress. A lot of Republicans want to get rid of the DOE. They think it's unconstitutional. Maybe they will link up with Democrats and dramatically curtail the Department's power to do much of anything.

I think we'll find that states that care about education and have money will just keep on doing what they've been doing on their own and the big state universities will make their own policies to handle on-campus civil rights and so forth. After all, they're still exposed to all kinds of lawsuits and have a lot of PR and marketing concerns.

But troubled city schools and education in GOP run backwaters like Kansas will continue to suffer. I don't know if she'll do much to make them worse, but she won't make them better.

Comment

Trump's Card

The Monty Python sketch has educated many of us about varieties of cheese. Recently I spent an hour going over an annotated list of the cheese mentioned in that. I learned Cheddar is a place.

"Cheddar" — at least in North America — has become the default generic cheese. Always available in shades from white to nuclear meltdown orange it lacks any character, and certainly bares no resemblance to its Somerset ancestor.

Comment

Trump's Card

linus wrote:
                                          Originally posted by antoine polus
                                          Originally posted by Der Spiegel
                                          Donald Trump and his fire-starter Stephen Bannon discriminate against certain people by decree, but not against those from countries in which Trump does business.
                                          The countries that Donald Trump does business with happen to be the same countries that the USA does business with, and is the exact same list of countries that was selected by the Obama administration last year for toughened up visa policy. Since the Obama decision last year, European citizens no longer qualify for an ESTA if they have an Iran entry stamp in their passport. Saudi Arabia entry stamp? No problem.

edit: While Donald Trump has obviously gone even further (banning people with green cards), where was the media outrage at the hypocrisy of the Obama administration's list of countries? Because maybe, just maybe, if the media had been awake for the last 30 years the world wouldn't have ended up with President Trump...
                                          Exactly. Ironically, Trump's overstepping has resulted in tremendous popular support and awareness of muslim targeting in the US. And of course, under droner in chief Obama, muslim targeting took on a much more literal sense.
                                          That's a canard. It wasn't "Obama's list." Please tell Der Spiegel.

The list was in a GOP rider to a "must pass" budget bill that Obama signed.

Whether he liked the list or not, it wouldn't have made sense for him to veto the bill over that because all that list did was mean that people who had visited those countries needed a visa to come here. It didn't ban their travel completely like Trump's order would. And because it just meant they'd need a visa, the DHS or State Department (I forget which does visas now) would still have a lot of discretion in how it handled people from those countries who want to come to the US.

http://www.snopes.com/trump-immigration-order-obama/

Comment

Trump's Card

This is an accurate representation of the state of industrial cheese-making here, but there are very credible "real" cheddar producers in Vermont and New York.

Comment

Trump's Card

Until recently the many coloured cheddar bland if not unpleasant blocks would have been default for cheese in Ireland as well (except for madmen who like Cashel Blue type stinkrot). Now you can pick up Brie/Feta etc in a shadyville (tinfoil not on open display) Dublin Spar. Even ten or so year back the default mozzarella in Drumcondra Tesco was some guff where they mixed in gratings of orange cheddar.

Comment

Trump's Card

Amor de Cosmos wrote: The Monty Python sketch has educated many of us about varieties of cheese. Recently I spent an hour going over an annotated list of the cheese mentioned in that. I learned Cheddar is a place.

"Cheddar" — at least in North America — has become the default generic cheese. Always available in shades from white to nuclear meltdown orange it lacks any character, and certainly bares no resemblance to its Somerset ancestor.
                                                Depends. We can buy fancy cheese here too, including various varieties of cheddar.

Comment

Trump's Card

linus wrote: TAB- sounds like a nice trip. I've yet to see the Millau bridge.

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi
                                                  I don't have a lot of poutine experience, but that's a good point about the cheese curds. It's what differentiates poutine from just cheesy fries like we get here a lot. Those are made with cheese whiz or something similar. It's goop.

Yeah, for any kind of fries/chips to work with a lot of stuff on them, the fries/chips have to be fairly crisp. I believe the preferred approach in Quebec is duck fat. Which is tasty murder, of course.
                                                  The duck fat foie gras poutine is a specialty at Martin Picard's Pied de Cochon, but not elsewhere. It would be great for a late night winter snack or pub grub, but at his restaurant, you'd really want real food instead for dinner.

Those fries look well overdone.

Comment

Trump's Card

Hot Pepsi wrote:
                                                    Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs
                                                    DeVos will wind back common core too, won't she? Won't the Republican governors just bring in something Similar?
                                                    She's going to fuck with Title IX and some stuff like that, but most of the money for education is state and local. And her privatization zeal is likely to eventually run into a lot of opposition, both from reality and from congress. A lot of Republicans want to get rid of the DOE. They think it's unconstitutional. Maybe they will link up with Democrats and dramatically curtail the Department's power to do much of anything.

I think we'll find that states that care about education and have money will just keep on doing what they've been doing on their own and the big state universities will make their own policies to handle on-campus civil rights and so forth. After all, they're still exposed to all kinds of lawsuits and have a lot of PR and marketing concerns.

But troubled city schools and education in GOP run backwaters like Kansas will continue to suffer. I don't know if she'll do much to make them worse, but she won't make them better.
                                                    Cheers, Reed.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X